Help!!! Need 2 TRON 'BIT' geometric models FAST!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Help!!! Need 2 TRON 'BIT' geometric models FAST!

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#1]
If you saw the original Disney Film: TRON, you know this little guy.

I need two models that represent the YES and NO states of Bit. Any and all help would be extremely appreciated.

*(Posted 2007) [#2]
But in Tron didnt it morph between the two?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yes it did, but I think the two states have the same geometry, just the spiky one has the vertices pulled in/out. You could probably do this easily enough in code.

You should be able to knock up the basic model easily in any modeller, too.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#4]
aren't those just tetrahedrons?

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#5]
I seriously need these models and my modeling skills suck. I know these are easy to do for a skilled modeler. In return perhaps I can write a piece of code or something.

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#6]
here you go.

Click here to download!

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#7]
PONGO IS AN ART GOD!!!

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#8]
^^^ yes, this is true.

Or,....

I just created an icosahedron primitive and subdivided the faces, followed by pushing some points.

You decide! :P

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#9]
I just created an icosahedron primitive and subdivided the faces, followed by pushing some points.
My point exactly!!!

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#10]
I was right! those were hedras!

_33(Posted 2007) [#11]
To code that with Blitz3D and then animate them would be pretty hard IMHO because you've got to do some tricky culling.

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#12]
Well, this code is BMax + minib3d but it should be easily to convert it to B3D. It simply morphs between these to meshes.
Maybe its useful ;)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#13]
To code that with Blitz3D and then animate them would be pretty hard IMHO because you've got to do some tricky culling.
What would need culling?

Tom(Posted 2007) [#14]
Here you go

http;//www.lightwave3d.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bit.zip

Check the demo source. There's 3 bones in the mesh, each affects a set of points (you'll see which :)

Simply animate the scale of the bones uniformly to create the desired shape or animation.

The second UV map is just for reference in case you want to paint it, otherwise, use a brush to change color.

_33(Posted 2007) [#15]
Tom's solution is really awesome! I just don't have a clue how the B3D model is built!

What would need culling?

If you would build the 3D model from addvertex and addtriangle instructions from math equations to get this sort of shape, you'd need to figure out some tricky culling. what do you think?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#16]
If you would build the 3D model from addvertex and addtriangle instructions from math equations to get this sort of shape, you'd need to figure out some tricky culling. what do you think?
Oh, you mean it'd be tricky to workout which vertices need to be moved in/out? I guess it could be - better off just making it in a modeller. :)