My Space Ship render

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My Space Ship render

Wiebo(Posted 2007) [#1]
Well, not really my space ship of course, but it is the players' avatar in my new shoot-em-up which I am developing right now. I thought I would show of a radiosity render I just made. The model has no textures, only colors and basic materials because the game doesn't need it, really. The wedge shaped wings open up when the ship is not moving.

Here is a shot from the back, used as a logo on my blog. The gun is a bit smaller than in the previous render.:

Here is an example of an animation animimage, with no gun (I drawn it later on top):

puki(Posted 2007) [#2]
It sort of looks like a tank parked next to a sort of tank bunker. I like it though.

Are you sure it is a spaceship?

Plus, it seems a bit wasteful to design this and then turn it into a tiny 2D animated thing.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#3]
For a spaceship it looks a little to clean IMHO. Stardust and scratches should be on the surface. I don't know why, but I guess all space ships must be grey :)

Other than that, good work.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#4]
hm.... no anim image

Wiebo(Posted 2007) [#5]
A tank parked next to bunker, puki? I like your imagination. But in a way it is true. It is a 'tank' with its own protection.

I could add all kinds of texture detail, jfk, but as you see in the animstrip there won't be too much of it visible. And no, spaceships do not need to be grey. That's why this one has blue wings. If you need wings in space that is. They're mostly for protection of course.

MikeHart(Posted 2007) [#6]
Good job.I just hope that it will be never shot at from the back. ;)

Wiebo(Posted 2007) [#7]
Or top or bottom! 3D Space is a bitch :) Luckily the game is 2d.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2007) [#8]
"Plus, it seems a bit wasteful to design this and then turn it into a tiny 2D animated thing."

No it isn't. This way the lighting will be consistant rather than just rotating a single image with a set light source and having the sprite look flat.

Wiebo(Posted 2007) [#9]
True. It would be 'just another ship sprite'. And who knows, I might need a flashy loading / splash screen =]

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#10]
Looks great Wiebo. What modeler are you using?