Some models of my own

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Some models of my own

Chad(Posted 2007) [#1]
Lately I've been playing with more modelling than anything else. And since Noel and Ruz have been showin off their stuff, I'll show off a little of mine.

Crits/Comments welcome.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#2]
very nice, especially for the low-poly-ness

Mortiis(Posted 2007) [#3]
Nice models but they need a better texture work. Especially the panzer and tires/lights of that classic car. Which application do you use, wings3d?

Chad(Posted 2007) [#4]
Milkshape3d, UV Unwrap, Giles, and Microsoft Paint only.

I can tell what you mean on the panzer, especially on that last screenshot. And yes, the tires on the car need some work done too, but I like the paint scheme I did on it. I've also got the paint on the car for easy changes, like to have different colors of the same model.

Anything that would really make these things stick out let me know, I'm open for anything.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#5]
Pretty good work.

For the textures, esp. the tank I'd go and get some images from a real tank, topview, sides and maybe front and back view of it, all you can get. Then do some copy paste of structures and surfaces until the stuff covers your UV map nicely.

For this you NEED to work with Layers, forget Pain(t).

For an easy solution get Artweaver that is a pretty good photoshop substitute, as long as the task is simple. Or get "the gimp", a fullfledged photoshop replacement, but needs more time to learn. (Both free)

So, when you have Layers then you can use the UV Template layer with 50% alpha and align the graphics on the other layers to it.

puki(Posted 2007) [#6]
I like the yellow car. Where did you get the idea from - ie, what motivated you to make an old-fashioned car - what's it for?

It reminds me of the car models I stole from Mafia.

Chad(Posted 2007) [#7]
@jfk
Thanks, I've had some experience with Macromedia Fireworks, but no way I can afford that, but I understand what you mean about the layers. I'll try out "the gimp" and Artweaver and see which one I like better.

@puki
Actually a small little project I'm working on is the yellow car, and one of the games I play for my "research" is Mafia. It's historically a Ford Model A, but in Mafia it's considered a Tudor Coupe, and in Mafia it's a dark blue or dark green. I have a plastic model of a Model A and it's yellow, or more of a cream color, so I decided to show off that texture, I have more if you would like to see.

puki(Posted 2007) [#8]
The problem with the cars in Mafia is all of the collision boxes, etc that are stuck onto them - takes ages to hand-amend them.

Chad(Posted 2007) [#9]
I bet, with mine I'm going to code in the boxes for collisions, but only have 4, 1 for front, 2 for both sides, and 1 in back. Realistic damage like Mafia, but simplified, but no blow out tires =\

iprice(Posted 2007) [#10]
The car is really "Mafia" style. I liked that game very much! Your car is cool!

Chad(Posted 2007) [#11]
Thanks! I'll show some screenshots of it more in a city drop than just on a grassy plane. I'll also include a truck or another car I have too.

Chad(Posted 2007) [#12]
Early screenshot of the truck I'm working on. Similar front end and interior, untextured, rendered in MS3D.

Comments/Crits?

Mortiis(Posted 2007) [#13]
Looks like you are a fan of 30's and WW2 am I right?

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#14]
I like it, theres a small lighting error on that area between the wheels though.

Chad(Posted 2007) [#15]
Yes, I enjoy both very much..

@Chwaga, where is the lighting error? I think it might be a shadow or something. We'll see how it turns out though once I'm done with my textures.

Chad(Posted 2007) [#16]
Okay, here's updated truck with texture.. Let me know what you think (rendered in Milkshape)

No city view yet ;-) Holding off on that

Chad(Posted 2007) [#17]
Here's another rendition of my Model A, with a blue paint job..

puki(Posted 2007) [#18]
Great stuff.

Chad(Posted 2007) [#19]
Update:

Current city in progress, just a small little strip of the city here, along with a skybox and lightmapped city. Some of the things aren't textured yet but they will be.

I threw in a car and truck, though not very good screenshot for that, but more of eye candy of the city.

I saved the images as JPGs and that's why the quality sucks, but you get the picture. Also, I'm having a contact of mine modeling and animating a human to replace that big ugly purple cube.

b32 has helped me on some of the programming, so now the 'cube' actually shoots! =)

Plans for this week into next week: Implement wall decals, such as when shooting a wall there will be a bullet hole left. Also, possibly the chance to enter and exit vehicles. No driving as of yet.

As always, crits and comments welcome.