End of the World

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/End of the World

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#1]
I was messing around in max trying to build fire without using the fire effect, so i came up with this weird jet-stream of fire thing and thought, "hey, this would make a good comet". So, I dug up a earth texture and dot-3 map I found somewhere on these forums, put up a space-sphere, a rock, inserted video-post lens-effects, and now it looks awesome!! I generated a frame of a comet/meteor hurtling toward the soon-to-perish earth. I renderred it three different ways, one was the original, the second was mirrored with the earth texture flipped to make the camera appear to be following the comet/meteor, the third, at the original position, but with the glow and lens effects removed.

The frame itself has 333,334 particle spheres with a particle mblur map applied to the oppacity map. The scene of that frame holds (i think) 2,708,016 faces, took around 12 minutes to render.
Enjoy!

original:

second:

third:

Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: new clip finished, find it [a http://files.filefront.com/end+of+the+worldwmv/;8278311;;/fileinfo.html]here[/a]

PS: I can put up a high-res for a wallpaper, it looks nice on mine.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
I think UV map on sphere is not correct..atmosphere on earth missing, and some nice motion blur for comet would be nice, but its okay as a first attempt in Max :)

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#3]
I know, it was just a whip, not meant to be picture perfect :) I was thinking motion blur for the comet, but it's not really worth it, it'd be barely visible with the glow effects on it.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#4]
Looking good, but i agree with naughty about the atmosphere.

Try this for an atmosphere:

Create another 4 spheres. and make each one slightly bigger than the planet and bigger than the last so you get 4 layers.

On each one make the 3 outer ones fullbright, with alpha about 0.125 (you can experiment for best results) and make them progress from blue to cyan color (ie outer one blue inner ones cyan-blue and cyan, again experiment).The first layer (closest to the planet) stick on a (alpha) PNG cloud map texture.

You can also experiment with the order, ie, the clouds may look better as the second or third layer rather than the first as they may look to blue otherwise.
eg:

))))) = your spheres
|||||
||||blue fullbright alpha .125
|||cloud layer(white) non fullbright non alpha with alpha PNG
||blueycyan fullbright alpha .125
|cyan fullbright alpha .125 (this layer may be too much)
planet as is

It should then look something more like this:
www.art-head-start.com/images/layout/earthvob350.jpg

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#5]
it's not meant to be photorealistic, but if you want to take the time and make the mesh, feel free to, and send it to chwaga@... :)

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#6]
there, finished the clip, I turned it into a movie, it's silent, physicly in-acurate, but it looks cool. The asteroid hits earth, a "tidal wave" of gray-ness engulfes the planet, the planet starts glowing red, big dramatic flash, over 30,000 particles spawn, fire effects, and it's over. Uber, I kno :P

[a http://files.filefront.com/earthdie1wmv/;8270360;;/fileinfo.html]movie link on filefront[/a]

PS: if you download it it's much higher quality.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#7]
WOW! I love the pic. Nice job for dinkin around. I didnt see the comet hit the earth in the first pass of the video it happened so fast, but man that explosion was outstanding. Very good job!

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks, the comet asteroid is actually in view for only 10 frames, I think. Only because i cheaped out and decided to have it in there as short as possible, each frame of it taking 2-3 minutes to render, and was impatient, think i should re-do it to have the comet in view longer?? That clip took around 35 minutes to render, probly be like 1+ hour if the asteroid was in for even 1 second...I think that would do though.

Thanks for the feedback :)

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#9]
there, re-did the clip to be longer, fade out, and show the asteroid longer, took forever to render but it looks great.

[a http://files.filefront.com/end+of+the+worldwmv/;8278311;;/fileinfo.html]clip[/a]

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#10]
that's awesome!. It's so cool looking!!

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#11]
thanks

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#12]
*earth exploded* oowwwwwwww!!!!!

N(Posted 2007) [#13]
Try for something a little more like this.

Try to ignore the fact that I have ~1,500 pictures there.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#14]
I'm not gonna waste that much time...lol

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2007) [#15]
Can't wait until Apophis actually comes in 2036. That'll be the shit!

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#16]
there's a 1 in 45,000 chance of it hitting :D we're all screwed!

It's only 415 meters long...Won't kill us all...then again, It is 4.6 x (10^10) kg....

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#17]
there's a 1 in 45,000 chance of it hitting

Dang. We're screwed. Let's run. *hears friend asking "where would we run?" in the distance*

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#18]
owned by probability :P

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#19]
how do you do fullbright in 3ds max?? (I'm trying to make a realistic earth)

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#20]
nvm...almost done...having some trouble with SI though...

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#21]
OK!! In case anybody cares:

I thought I'd try my hand at a realistic Earth, so there you go:

And here's the more dramatic picture, but you can barely see the work I did on earth (that's why I did the above render to show all that material work I did):

PLEASE give feedback!

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#22]
VERY good...
The darkness under the clouds make it look like there are shadows under the clouds, either make them lighter or take them away completely.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#23]
OK, I'll work on that, I was having some trouble with the alpha/diffuse maps on the clouds, I just can't seem to nail it...I'll do some work though.

Gnu(Posted 2007) [#24]
Nice! Love the sun flare.

Gnu

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#25]
nice, wouldnt be fun to try to use it in a game though :D, 12minute render, each loop takes 12 minutes... hmm thats 0.2 FPS :o

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#26]
I could probably manage it into a game with sprite systems :) just there'd be no BM or SM....and it'd take forever so no :P

Dear santa...
For Christmas, please buy me a 80 computer rendering farm...

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#27]
OK!! I did a bunch of work on the cloud alpha and diffuse maps and specularity n' stuff, tell me what you think!

Ked(Posted 2007) [#28]
I like it.

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#29]
NICE
Dont want to be a bother, but the clouds are too close to the earth. And they lok a little pixelized. But if its a game that takes place on the moon and that was in the distance it would look very good.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#30]
@chwaga: Its fine. I, personally, don't see any "pixelized" clouds. Yo! Wazzup? may be seeing the compression of the JPEG file format.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#31]
The images I used for the maps were a bit low-res, around 1024 x 512 i think, so yes, it like slightly pixelized.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#32]
I created a tutorial for how to create a scene like this, I need feedback on the site & tutorial.

Find the site at uselesstidbits.googlepages.com

Zenith(Posted 2007) [#33]
I don't want to be a dick, but comets are made of ice and rock, so I highly doubt it will leave a trail of fire until it reaches the earth's atmosphere. *astronomy nerd* F#$king cool effect though! :D

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#34]
I knew that :) seriously. I just didn't want to take too long in making it :) And animated materials qualifies in "taking too long"

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#35]
I love the lens flare in the top pics.

It is a dreaded image.

VERY WELL DONE!

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#36]
I don't want to be a dick, but comets are made of ice and rock
How do you know they are only made of ice and rock?

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#37]
because they are :)

Tab(Posted 2007) [#38]
wow, looks really nice.

Neuro(Posted 2007) [#39]
Heh, you should date that pic "December 23, 2012" and send it everywhere....

Ked(Posted 2007) [#40]
Heh, you should date that pic "December 23, 2012" and send it everywhere....

Why did you pick that date?

EDIT: 2012?! Thats in about 4 years!

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#41]
lol, supposesdly 2012 is the end of the world so says that french guy (nostradamis er sumthin) and the mayans...frankly, I'm not afraid :)

EDIT:
...OH YEAH!! and the X-Files :P
(they got it from the mayans though...)

Neuro(Posted 2007) [#42]
Why did you pick that date?

EDIT: 2012?! Thats in about 4 years!

Yep, better do what you gotta do soon, cause that big one is a commin...

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#43]
what big one??

Neuro(Posted 2007) [#44]
End of the World, dude...end of the world.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#45]
o rite