Castle construction set - special offer

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Castle construction set - special offer

Svenart(Posted 2007) [#1]

Hello to all. For a limited time, the castle construction set will be available at the3dstudio.com for a reduced price of 100$ (before 180$).

The set contains more than 30 3dmodels + a few lod versions and is availbale in 3ds,x and lwo format. You can use it for rendering or for use in gameengines.

Here the link:

http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=30719

Here a view more views of the castle construction set:

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#2]
That looks mighty good!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#3]
Iv seen this model a few times now and every time I look at it I get a flood of ideas of new games, so could you please make it look a little more ugly pls so I can get my current project finished first ?? after then you can show me it in all its glory again ;)

mrtricks(Posted 2007) [#4]
Fantastic models, really beautiful textures - I'd be interested to see how they look in Blitz3D...

CodeOrc(Posted 2007) [#5]
Nice, very nice :)

puki(Posted 2007) [#6]
Mmm, this brings it down to £50.00 - I'm starting to twitch. It wasn't overpriced before - but now, it is sort of asking me to buy it.

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#7]
Very nice. But the lightmapping is obviously 3D Studio.
We still haven't seen it lightmapped within Blitz (DX7), or seen the effect of all those faces (in the big model) on the framerate. I've been asking for a Blitz-based demo for months, but no reaction.

Svenart(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thank you for your comments. @John Blackledge: I remember that you asked for a demo a few months ago and I started creating one a few days after, but the set was not finished at this time, and then I had to work on 2 big jobs for 2 CGcompanys and had to stop working on the set for a while. I have now finished the set some weeks ago, and in the last days I started again working on the demo. I will post here a few images vers soon, maybe in a few hours.

Loktar(Posted 2007) [#9]
Yeah if I see how these react in B3d Ill definatly be more inclined to buy them. Very nice work!

*edit* just looked at all of your other models and have to say you are very talented. Im guessing you've done some high profile work!

MGE(Posted 2007) [#10]
hmmm...why not just give the models to one of the better B3D coders here, and in return sign something that says he/she has to produce some exectuable demos that you can use to sell the product to the B3D crowd? Textures/models look incredible, would love to see a B3D demo. :)

Svenart(Posted 2007) [#11]
I have now finished the demo, here a few screenshots:

You can download the demo here:

http://medievalworlds.com/ccs/castle1test.rar

puki(Posted 2007) [#12]
Oooh - what the castle is in there too?

Downloading.

puki(Posted 2007) [#13]
Wow, this is so detailed and exciting.

The texture for the horse food seems to be missing - in the stable thing, by the trough thing.

Svenart(Posted 2007) [#14]
thank you. You are right, the file is missing in the demo, but included if I start the demo in b3d or in the models (as you can see in the screenshot above)... Will check this...

MGE(Posted 2007) [#15]
runs at a steady >>>>1<<<< fps on my system. Can you change any options????

Svenart(Posted 2007) [#16]
I´m sorry. Maybe you have a graphiccard with less than 256mb ram or a very slow system. At my system it runs with more than 120 up to 400 frames and even on my old system with more than 30 frames so I was putting much models into this scene and also over 20 lightmaps. I will try to modify the demo that it will run faster also on your system tomorrow.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#17]
I'm getting between 97fps and 500 plus fps on my pc, depending where I move the camera to and what is in shot.

You would need to do a little extra work yourself if you wanted around the castle walls in a game as there are no thoroughfares up there, and I'd imagine you'd want different models for interiors anyway. Looking very nice for a fantasy game - I can imagine this with night light and flaming torches all around with people lurking in the shadows.

A great offer price for the work gone into it, it would take me a long long time to get anywhere close so $100 seems a snip if this is what you're after.

Nice work.

IPete2.

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#18]
Sven,

Usually I don't go out on a limb - I might make the odd comment, then run away and pretend Puki did it!

I downloaded your demo, and I think that your modelling is simply gorgeous - one helluva piece of work. It must have taken you months.
So I hope you'll take these comments in the good faith that they are intended:

1) I got a constant 2 fps - ok, my machine may be a little under-powered (stop sniggering, Pete) but I have plenty of friends who have lesser powered machines, and I think most of the people on this site would be trying to sell into that main-stream community, not just to the wunder-kid who has a custom built PC.

2) Even without a ground mesh or a sky mesh.

3) No collisions implemented. I usually allow for a third drop in fps due to collisions, especially with such a big, complex scene.

4) Corner walls and archways – you’ve modelled every single brick including the gaps between. That alone probably doubles the tri-count. Obviously this is wonderfully detailed modelling, but it will bring any 3D engine to it’s knees.

My suggestion is that you rethink (in the nicest way possible) the structure of your final model (a lot less detail) so that your end-user would still have enough fps to add terrain, sky, animated characters, smoke, fire, sounds etc.

But seriously, a wonderful piece of work. Well done.

puki(Posted 2007) [#19]
The geometry issue can be overcome with a user HSD/HSR system.

This can stay 'as is' to be honest. I'd rather have the extra detail knowing I can code it in and out on-the-fly with utter ease.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#20]
my card is very out of date now (9800pro 128mb) but its runs great, a min of 103 fps most of time around 150 fps. so even if as stated above you knock a 3rd off thats still a good frame rate.

Svenart(Posted 2007) [#21]
thank you for your comments.

To John Blackledge: The set contains also some lod versions of the models wich them you can save up to 50% of the polycount. Maybe you are right if you say that the polycount is to high for slow machines. I will add some more lod models and upload a new demo in the next few days.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#22]
I am getting 160-200 FPS. That's pretty low for 160,000 triangles on an 8800. It's probably just an inefficiency in the renderer.

Is the ground shadow a single texture? What resolution is that?

Svenart(Posted 2007) [#23]
Thanks for testing, Leadwerks. For the ground I used a 1024x1024 shadowmap (+19 shadowmaps for the castle). Do you have an idea how I can make it faster?

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#24]
I thought that looked like a shadowmap. Is it being redrawn each frame? Are you using any kind of PSM or TSM, or just rendering an unskewed shadowmap? I ask because I am dealing with some similar issues. The resolution looks really good for 1024x1024. Is it using a variance value?

We're talking depth shadowmaps, right? Not lightmaps.

Svenart(Posted 2007) [#25]
I have used Gile(s) for creating the shadows. The shadowmap for the ground was rendered in 2048x2048 and then resized to 1024x1024 (btw. the ground is not very large).

I was thinking lightmaps and shadowmaps would be the same... just different names...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2007) [#26]
Just thought I'd come back and add some comments on this one.

Amazing detail in the castle and it runs on average 200 FPS here.

Lightwave3d and Ultimate Unwrap?

Ruz(Posted 2007) [#27]
wow, so many complaints. This is amazing value for money.

To pay an artist to do this kind of stuff for your project would

cost thousands normally. 50 quid is a snip

You can't also expect an artist to cater for every kind of machine/project out there.

I think Sven art is being very generous here

RifRaf(Posted 2007) [#28]
You can't also expect an artist to cater for every kind of machine/project out there.

Yeah its very nice, however considering where he's advertising, the remarks are expected. Old rendering engine (that is Blitz3D and B3DSDK), low end idie market. Expect low end video cards ect, or expect that the buyer probably isnt developing for high end machines.

Also , I would expect to pay alot if it was a custom job just for me, but then the same can be said for any kind of custom work. What do you think Mark Sibly would charge you for blitzmax if you were the only one who got to use it ? :)

I wouldnt expect anyone who buys this on turbosquid to have the same comments, but here on this forum. Im not suprised at all, More LOD versions couldnt hurt a bit if hes got the time to make them.

Amazing work regardless.