low poly model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/low poly model

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#1]
Eh I'm working on a male model for a MMO Game and i was wondering what a good poly count would be? expecting clothing and hair are attachable to the model.

this one here currently is 1500, still in the process of making it more proportinate as well as welding vertices.

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#2]
not bad.. a bit skinny though.. might look like a grey, if you placed a big alien head ontop.. :D

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#3]
yea, the arms hands are too skinny, doesn't look so bad if i reduce his height.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#4]
Maybe just this one model can be downloadable?

<wink>

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#5]
Possibly. I need to go get my laptop really quick since i have a new more correct proportionate model. I managed to cut the polys down to a total of 1400 With Joint cuts so it should deform without stretching out all weird.

I'll post a new screeny up in a few minutes when i go get my laptop outta the car.

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#6]
ok newer version.fixed up some of the proportioning, got it down to around 1400 polys

*(Posted 2007) [#7]
looking good, good for a scientist not bulky enough for a soldier tho

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#8]
ya, i'm using it as a base. i figured its easier to bulk up a model than it is to de-bulk one. I think soldiers would be more deadly killers if they weren't so bulked up. A good fit toned body should be good, not all that extra muscle to slow you down. Does it take a head sized bicep to kill someone with a gun?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#9]
Does it take a head sized bicep to kill someone with a gun
LOL, Mabe not, but it may be needed to actually CARRY a big 'game' one for long periods of time :P

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#10]
I would suggest saving about 500 polys by turning the hands into mittens instead of fingered. You're not going to see that much detail anyway.

Take a look at a model I did a while ago (not trying to hijack here by the way)
http://www.mentalillusion.co.uk/picture.php?path=./Models/Characters/&name=Female
Might help. You might want to look at where you lay out your polys for uv mapping afterwards. For example, put the waist band for trousers etc as a seam in your polys, that way you will have a nice clean line to texture from etc.