Guitar Solo

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Guitar Solo

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]
Guess it's ok to present music here as well. In "General Discussion" they are flushed so quickly.

I just played some guitar and suddently found myself in a recording session, although it's all nobudget equipment, wich may be why it sounds so noisy sometimes.

Warning: the whole "song" consists of nothing but 4 chords, one drumloop and a couple of guitar solo parts.

Personally I am influenced by Eddie van Halen, Ingwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai, but I'm trying not to copy too much, but develop my own style instead (where of course my bandwidth of skills by far doesn't reach theirs).

If you like rock guitar solos then you may listen to it:
http://www.melog.ch/dancing_in_love.mp3

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#2]
It's nice enough... But as you say it's only 4 chords and a drum loop and really fails to go anywhere.

It's not to my style really, I think you've layered too much and too many effects on the guitar, it kinda drowns the melody.

That said it would go really nicely as a "you've died" end screen or something.

Regarding no budget equipment I would strongly recommend buying a Behringer V-Amp2, I got one a few months back and it's brilliant.

The second I got it home I was recording a track, which was a couple of chords and a drum loop and then me playing a solo over the top, and discovering the wonders of Auto-Wah! It's unedited and I was making it up as I go along, so bum notes and bad timing all over the place, however, it's just so you can hear the v-amp, this was plugged directly into my PC, no 'real' amps involved at all.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#3]
@jfk EO-11110, hey i like that sometimes reminds me a little like pink floyd.

kev

scribbla(Posted 2007) [#4]
thats pretty good reminds me of GTR Howe/Hackett stuff

GfK(Posted 2007) [#5]
It's nice enough... But as you say it's only 4 chords and a drum loop and really fails to go anywhere.
Status Quo have gotten away with the same for long enough.

ICECAP(Posted 2007) [#6]
I don't think it matters about the repeating chords... I think it sounds fantastic. Great for any sort of game, as the music is an aid to visuals or to set a mood.

Two thumbs up from me.

Tyler(Posted 2007) [#7]
Well, I have to say, being a player of guitar I know how much time you spent getting to where you are and it's pretty impressive as it stands. The quality of sound might not be studio, and of course you didn't have a drummer or singer, so it's not going to sound as complete as could be ... but impressive :D Good job, and hope you get a nice spot in a band one day.

MikeHart(Posted 2007) [#8]
NICE!!! Sounds very Vaiish, I like it. Drums and bass (if there is one, its a little mushed) could have more punsh but the overall concept it very good. I don't care about 4/8/200 cords, as long it fits the song.

Like I said, very good ideas, just the sound is a big mash of layers. That could be enhanced big time.

Someone suggested a V-Amp2. I had one before but sold it for a LINE6-TonePort. I love that thing.

Cheers
Michael

Tyler(Posted 2007) [#9]
I've got a Line-6 GuitarPort that I'm pretty happy with. If you have the means, I highly recommend researching Line-6's product line.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#10]
Thanks for all these friendly comments. I've got a an Alesis "GuitarFX", wouldn't reccomend it cause of low DSP bitdepth and rate that will result in syntetic sound: AD/DA in 20 bits at 31.25 kHz.

I was thinking about the Behringer V-Amp2 as well, but so far I didn't want to spend siginificant amounts of money (I know that's relative :) the V-AMP2 is listed for about 150$ here ). Thanks for the "LINE6-TonePort" hint as well, I'll go and check the price.

EDIT: The Line6 Toneport really offers a lot. Official Price is 90$. Tho, this one needs a computer to operate at all. Hardware and OS requirements are a bit high IMHO. Although the features are great: 100 db signal ratio, 96 kHz internal processing. A zillion of amp models and fx. If the amp models really sound like the real thing (eg a marshall tower) then this is a great product.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#11]
I was going to buy the Line6-Pod 2 but it was out of stock and I wanted a toy! Hence ended up with the V-AMP2, however, I'm really not disappointed.

b32(Posted 2007) [#12]
That sounds real nice, jfk!

Shambler(Posted 2007) [#13]
Nice!

I like my G2 http://www.dv247.com/invt/30690/

HappyCat(Posted 2007) [#14]
JFK: If the amp models really sound like the real thing (eg a marshall tower) then this is a great product.

They've got some samples here: http://line6.com/toneport/sounds.html

I got a Line 6 Pod 2 a few years ago and it's a fantastic wee thing. Just wish it had an Aux in for playing along to stuff on my iPod :-)

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#15]
nice playing, jfk... I really like it.. :)

I've got a V-Amp2 as well, but I don't use it much anymore, seeing as I've got the guitar hooked up to a small 4 port mixer, and running it directly to my iMac..
I like to do the effects on the Mac, because I can add/change the effects, after recording (not having to play it again, because I wanted to change an effect)..

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#16]
I think I have a better Sustain when I use an Amp. The song was recorded directly from the GuitarFX output, so the Sustain is pretty bad, compared to the sound I prefere (amp was broken then, but is repaired now, just saved a lot of money by "brute-force-resoldering" the entire cirquit. It's one of those little "Rath-Amp"s, very simple and cheap standard components, even a beginner could clone it with parts from radioshack)