Need a hand

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Need a hand

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]
I still need a hand for my project. The old one is looking kind of bad:

It should look about the same, only better: black leather glove, lower arm, gunhand with finger on trigger pose. Low Poly (500t maybe) I'd probably pay a few bucks for it, tho no guaranty given.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#2]
When I said "No guaranty given" I meant: If you start modelling now, then I will not be obliged to buy your work. But if you show me a hand, I'll make you an offer.

Can't believe none is capable of that. What kind of movie is this anyway?

stayne(Posted 2007) [#3]
It's not all that bad, probably just needs some better texture work. Is it animated?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#4]
Only marginally - the gun is animated, the hand is its top parent. Yes, the texture and UVs should be better. I already tried my best, but it has bad seams and looks blur, compared to the gun mesh. As far as I remember the UVs are totaly messed up, it's hard to flatten them out, at least hard for me.

stayne(Posted 2007) [#5]
Is there an opened (fingers spread/palm flat) version of the hand mesh?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
Unfort. no.

Xzider(Posted 2007) [#7]
When I first read this I thought you meant that you needed help with the project:)

stayne(Posted 2007) [#8]
What app did you use to model the hand and how far is this project going? Are you shooting for a release?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#9]
Xzider - the double meaning was meant ironic. I need a hand to make me a hand.

stayne - basicly somebody else gave me the mesh. I then tried to make better UVs (in Lithunwrap). I partly flattened it, but it's still not good enough. Especilly the seams are too obvious. A gun hand should be skinned with the players prespective in mind. There should also be some light reflections (static) on it, making the tension of the leather visible, wich is hard to add on the flattened textures.

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#10]
in ultimate unwrap you can move the seams to a place where the camera cant see them

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#11]
Well I had to give it a go, You can download it here...

http://public.box.net/hilbily00141459

It was fun...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#12]
Thanks, I'll check it out.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#13]
I played around with it more, I think the one you have is better modeled and skinned, but I thought I'd give it a go anyways. The .b3d file I included in zip has bones so you can rotate em in B3d if you want. Heres a few pics of the hand...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#14]
Thanks a lot for your help! This hand is pretty good. Unfort. the thumb part isn't the best of it. And that's facing to the player all the time, in fps pose. That's the hard part, because it's so close up.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#15]
Thanks for the info, that had is 417 polys according to Blitz3d triangle count. I'll keep messin with it until either you likey or find another one. hehehehe. Ill tweak the skin also, I see the seam is almost identical to the one you already have, lol.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#16]
Heres the new one, 457 Polys. I cant really do too much without adding a lot of polys. Sorry man. If you want the file...
http://www.box.net/shared/7ytzgbf338

heres the pics...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#17]
Guess for now I'll use the old one. Thanks a lot for your efforts!

Tom(Posted 2007) [#18]
Something I'm messing about with and want to finish soon.

http://www.lightwave3d.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fps_hands.zip

Things I may need to re-think:

The left upper arm comes into view too easy (good/bad thing?)

Should I make the left & right arms seperate b3d files? You could animate them in unison so you wouldn't notice. Reason for doing it? Placement of the hands differs gun to gun. Maybe I could just try moving the left upper arm instead?

Seperate UV map for the hands/gloves & arms.

Any suggestions welcome, mesh will be a freebie when it's done.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#19]
I'll surely check this out asap. Tho, seems like I won't have the time to replace the hand in my game for the next version release - even if it's brilliant. I am working on this since too long time.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#20]
Nice hands there Tom, I'd like to see the finished version.

Im still pluggin away at this thing. I've been called obsessive/compulsive more than once hehehe. I scrapped the initial one and started from scratch. Im intending to make a plain hand and then 2 extra glove textures for it. Im happy with the hand, but I'm still working on the textures. Heres a screeny...

If you decide not to use any of my hands, dont sweat it, I'm just here for the fun!

Front of Hand...

Back of Hand...

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#21]
That's a very nice hand, Xyle. It looks like it was mapped much better than your privious hand & gun. Tip: The thenar eminence (thumb muscles) are a little big (they look like they swelled up).

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#22]
Thanks for the advice there Bubble Boy, I appreciate it.

Heres some more screenies. I realize there are still some Poly anomolies and irregulars, but I am forcing myself to move on, hehehe. I will work on some glove textures next...

By the way, this hand has 1098 tris.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#23]
Tom - the hands are pretty good. But the pose for an m4 isn't perfect. The shaft part should be stabilized on the shoulder and not on the bizeps. This way you can also move the second arm more out of the view. I'd probalb y drop the entire right upper arm, btw.

Xyle - looks much better. To both of you I'd suggest: the only thing that is really important is how it looks when the top side of the thumb and hand etc is very close to the camera, exactly like the pose in the first screenie of this thread. A seam on this very side should be avoided. Also, the texture resolution of that part should be extra high.

(BTW when you test a gun hand with gun in blitz, in fps pose, then you should scale the Z of the mesh a little down to correct lense distortion. I mean, if you don't then the gun and arms will look stretched)

North(Posted 2007) [#24]
If you could share your current handmodel it would be easier to produce a better fit for you to just plugin and go.
If you're interested i might check this out.
Also what maps can you make use of? color + ??

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#25]
Basicly only a diffuse color texture. No Bump mapping, no lightmapping.

I have just finished a new demo, need a break now.