barrel

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/barrel

Amon(Posted 2007) [#1]

Download.

I made this barrel in Truespace. I was just testing out the UV Mapper for Truespace 7 and after tinkering with it for about half an hour I found that it was better than Ultimate Unwrap.

:)

Original texture from Tom. I altered it to make a new texture for the barrel.

I'm definately better than Noel Cower.

N(Posted 2007) [#2]
Looks more like a pipe segment, actually.

And you are not better than me! *Smack*

Amon(Posted 2007) [#3]
It does look like a pipe section tbh. Will try and change it.

Or, maybe it doesn't look like a pipe section and you're just jealous.

:)

Definately better than Noel Cower.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#4]
Perhaps the top could be 'inset' and then lowered slightly to make the lid a bit more noticeable. Perhaps a few more segments to make it more round? I don't like the texture much myself though - it may be uv mapped okay but the actual texture looks pretty ugly.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#5]
Seems quite high poly for a barrel? What is it, about 240?

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#6]

my go at a barrel

Amon(Posted 2007) [#7]
Nice Barrel, Pete.

@gfk

I think it's around 300 polys but I'll reduce it. I'll have another attempt at it later on.

I want to explore the tools in Silo first though.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#8]
Usualy there are masses of barrels in a map. Lowpoly is mandatory. How about this: masked dds dxt5 texture and the top and bottom is only a quad, textured with a masked, perfect circular top. The sides may use 8 segments only this way and it will still look very smooth. The polycount would be: 20. Or even with 12 segments only 28.

Oh and get rid off the rims, unless you want a pipe element.

EDIT
But there's a problem when you are line-picking the barrel, it may result in picking the "air" at the corners of it.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#9]
But there's a problem when you are line-picking the barrel, it may result in picking the "air" at the corners of it.

How can I fix that? I'm assuming you're linepicking from within B3D?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#10]
I have no idea. That's a general problem of masked and alpha surfaces. Decide, make it pickable and risk bullet decals floating in the air, or make it unpickable and allow any linepick to "look trough it", that's your gun as well as the NPCs.

A replacement of Linepick may help. Maybe coldet?

b32(Posted 2007) [#11]
Maybe after perfoming the linepick, you can use the PickedU/V routines from the archives to see what pixel is underneath it. If it is a transparent pixel, the pick becomes invalid.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#12]
Good idea. PickedU and V are functions from the archives. Not sure how accurate and/or fast they are. May be worth to try.

I'm a bit worried about recursive calls. They may be required to "continue" linepicking when a picked texel was considered "unpickable".

There may be a bottleneck when reading the alpha value of the texel from the texturebuffer. To cache all textures (eg. in banks) seems like a waste of RAM. Even to cache only the masked and alpha ones is not really smart. That's a lot of ram only to solve a little problem. And it would also complicate things.

But it's definitely a possible way (right now the only one), so thanks for your idea.

EDIT - this won't work with dds textures (can't access their buffer). But you still could use a seperate alpha channel file for them.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#13]
the barrel above has 300 ish
but i have a 112 poly version as well still looks good