Transformers 1980s

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Transformers 1980s

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#1]

been testing my friends dx8 engine with my transformers models, good fun if a bit hard at the moment

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#2]
Looks great. Are you still making your Blitz TF game?

Jason.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yes, ive not had much time to work on it this year, but i get a bit done every now and then.

I just wanted to see what my models look like in a more modern engine. its beta 0.12a of his engine not transformers. the blitz version looks almost as good but with swifts shadows not the stencil shadows above.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#4]
The models look just like the toys did all those years ago (never had any myself though). Shadows look a bit dark considering how well lit the rest of the scene is.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#5]
yeah the shadows are a bit too dark. i was mad on transformers as a kid and had most of the first range of toys that came out, i went off them when they got really plasticy and started doing headmaster etc. i still have some off the toys sat on a shelf above my PC

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#6]
As usual the originals are by far the best, back when you had robots that transformed in cars that actually looked like real world cars. I found my original Jazz recently, which makes a pretty cool Porsche model and an awesome looking robot.

Hope the new film isn't really really crap...

big10p(Posted 2007) [#7]
I was too old for these damn things the first time around. Can you do some Trumpton/Camberwick Green models instead? :P

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#8]
Do your models transform?

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#9]
I was too old for these damn things the first time around

Woah, just how old ARE you????

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#10]
Just to make you feel better big10p I remember Trumpton and Camberwick Green too :)

Jason.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#11]
Vorderman: Dont ask! :/ Under 40, tho.

QuickSilva: Phew! :)

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#12]
yes all my models transform it took alot of work because thers alot of resizing of parts and hidden wheels etc

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#13]
Pete, would you like an additional team member for the Transformers game? I can model machine-like objects pretty well and I'm a Transformer nut to boot. I have nothing going on atm. Plus it will keep me from starting my own Transformers project hehe. Up to you, if you want help lemme know...otherwise I'm gonna have to start modeling some Transformers. :)

I really like 1980s cartoons. I grew up on Transformers (Gen 1 all the way!), Voltron (lions version), Dungeons and Dragons (the cartoon), etc etc. I often wonder why they haven't made a game based on the latter two.

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#14]
I was more of a He-Man, Dungeons and Dragons and Thundercats fan myself. I never liked Transformers because I wasn't into playing with toy cars or other vehicles, and the robots seemed lame and boxy to me.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#15]
Confession: Quite fancied Cheetara from Thundercats... Hmmm... Um...

I thought the transformers were rubbish too, the whole point was they were 'robots in disguise' however, car's driving down a road talking to each other doesn't seem that incognito to me, likewise, why did the autobots win all the time (apart from that they were the goodies), the deceptitrons had air attack!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#16]
Transformers are coool, I'm a bit to old for them but they seem like a fascinating 3D project. Looks great.

I'm considering rendering the Flumps, I'm sure all agree theres a challenge there.....

http://www.80snostalgia.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=86

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#17]
Someone should make a game based on Monkey! That was a great 80s show.

Paul Murray(Posted 2007) [#18]
They sort of did I think. There was a top down RPG/Hack n Slash years ago called Monkey Hero, where you play a monkey which looks a lot like the hero from the show

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#19]
Chroma : ive left it alone for along time now because my coding skills need some work, theres a few things i couldnt get working, but when ive got less work on ill go back to it and drop you an email if your still up for it.

ive done alot of models but the texturing takes me ages!

Pete

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#20]
I would have thought the transform animations would have been the kicker!

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#21]
I think a capture the flag game a la BF1942 but with the Transformers would be awesome. I don't know why this hasn't been done yet honestly. Imagine running, jumping into the air, transforming into an F-15, flying to the enemy base, swooping down, transforming back into a robot, shooting a guy, grabbing the flag, transforming back into a jet, and roaring off with the flag. THAT would be cool. I'd buy a game like that.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#22]
Have you seen the new offficial game. good looking with top notch transforming animations but plays like a turd on a string.

bit to hard too do BF1942 in blitz3d unless you a coding god.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#23]
Pete you've played the new transformers game? I didn't realize it was released yet, but then I haven't actively checked either. That sucks if the controls are jacked up.

Gen 1 Transformers BF1942 style would be it imo. Yeah I don't think B3D could pull that one off. I think BMax could though, with a good 3D module and Net module. I would definitely want to be a part of it though.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#24]
no im not sure its out yet but one of friends downloaded it bad boy! anyway the animation is class but the game is poo. you can watch videos of the game on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIQV4uOSN-s

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#25]
Yep, I've seen the game trailers and thought it looked pretty good. It's also available on the Wii (which I just got yesterday WOOT!)

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#26]
I think the really cool thing about a Transformers game is that it's totally doable in Blitz3D. Each model can be really low poly. Heck, they are robots you know. All squarish and such.

The question is whether you can get 32 people into an online game using Blitz3D.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#27]
if Cinema 4d 10 had a full exporter to a useable format i could produce transformer models alot quicker as it stands the fastest way to do it is in character FX which isnt quick. The way im doing it is to produce the characters in bits and then bring them together when animating.

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#28]
that's cool..
that way you can also explode them into pieces and stuff like that.. perhaps a robot looses his arm in battle etc..

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#29]
well its more for when they transform as with prime above the cab becomes more square in truck mode the bumper flattens. the cars are much harder and the f15 (starscream) was a knightmare thers not one part of him that doesnt need resizing etc to make it look right.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#30]
Pete, can you show us a movie of a few of them transforming?

Your modeling method also lends itself well to ragdoll physics. Plus, each model obviously has a very low poly count which is just awesome.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#31]
ill see what i can do, what the best program for screen capture?

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#32]
I think it's FRAPS. I've never used it but I think there's a trial demo.

but plays like a turd on a string

I can corroborate this. I bought that game today. Looks awesome. But it really plays like a turd on a string. The controls aren't what I thought they were gonna be. But I will finish it anyways.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#33]
Just took my lad to see the new Tranformer's movie - I sense a HUGE transformers revival, christmas toy No.1 ???

@Chroma - shame they've skipped on the attention to detail malarky.

@ Pete Carter - how are you getting on with your screen capture, I'd love to see your movie of your transforming imagery. I've just started toying with B3D again, just simple posting images onto houses that you walk around stuff. Looking forward to your vid.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#34]
not looked at it yet to be honist ive been so into my syndicate game that ive not been near my transformers stuff, i think its because like the offical movie game my game plays like a old pair of pants.