wip

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/wip

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]

I like the lightmap support for the grass engine. Feels
pretty realistic when walking from lit places into shady
areas. Groups of trees are looking rather sexy with this
feature.

The mesh still needs some work. Eg. the roofs of the towers
are a lil missplaced and the texture needs some dirt.

I wanted to render it in full quality (ATI settings) but for
some reason there's a problem with my Vram. So this is a
highly mipmapped, blurry variant of it.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
Good job on the grass - it looks fantastic.

clownhunter(Posted 2007) [#3]
Looking very nice. When is the next demo coming out? I love playing those. :)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#4]
the lightmapped grass looks sexy ;) i like it!

how did you do that? are you using quads or chunked quads for the grass? in my grass engine, grass only looks good when i am using quads. if i use chunks of quads (gives me better performance) the lighting seems a little bit misplaced. not ugly, but not that good.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
Indeed the grass looks excellent, very thick and lush. If that's running without a major performance dive, then it's really very impressive. I'd love to see it in action.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks everybody.
Basicly it's the same as the grass example I posted years ago, see archives. The automatic lightmap support is using entitycolor for the quads. The colors are determined in a caching task done prior release.

There's a grid of possible grass quads, stored in a number of arrays for location, rotation, color. I am using a contingent of copied entities, eg: 2000. Now the 2000 Entities are positioned around the payer, using EntityAutofade. Grass dense etc. are settings in a cfg file, so the contingent must be redefined depending on the level.

It's pretty fast, but on my weak radeon 9200 low end rig the framerate drops down. with some more experience I'll be able to design the grass areas in a way that allows to use a lower contingent.

I still have to add some features to the engine, but I hope I'll release a demo in a few weeks.

BTW: using alphaed DDS helps a lot!

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#7]
Looks pretty! The ivy looks a little oversized but generally very nice, good proportions on the building too.

[Slightly off topic so I apologise]
My gripe with pretty much all FPSesesess's is that the players always walk around with the gun drawn and poking out of their chest like an eratic heartbeat.

I'd love to play an FPS where you generally don't have the gun drawn, or at least not in sight, and if you're running and shooting at the same time it should be about as accurate as pissing in wind.

Like flashback and fade to black I thought it was good to have a gun mode and walking mode... but then I liked the lack of shooting in them, felt a bit more stealthy...

I'll be quiet now...
[/Slightly off topic so I apologise]

puki(Posted 2007) [#8]
I'll take the grass code and media.

Email in sig.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#9]
Thanks for the compliment puki.

Rob - you're right. Guess I'll add a NoGun mode. Basicly it's already there, that's when you start without a gun and first have to pick it up somewhere. Now I got to add a function to put the gun away. Non-enemy npcs may then stay cool when they see you, where they run away when you draw the gun.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#10]
in my fps (which will be a multiplayer only) it doesn't make much sense not holding a weapon at the beginning. its not a sporting game where the fastest to reach the guns wins ;)

and to be honest, if i were in such a situation like in jfks fps, ii would have the gun drawn and be ready to shoot those damned aliens/terrors/whatever.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#11]
I'm watching the progress of your engine, promising stuff.

The idea behind "No Gun drawn" is: you may act like a spy, walk around, maybe even enemies won't attack you, because they don't know who you are :) I've seen this eg. in NOLF 1 or Hitman. Doesn't work very well on a battlefield, it should be a civil enviroment.

granada(Posted 2007) [#12]
I still keep working with your engine ,Great to see your still working on this.Looking forward to the new demo,i've got some ideas for a game.What are you building your worlds with.

Dave

Panno(Posted 2007) [#13]
looks cool !!

b32(Posted 2007) [#14]
Very nice!

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#15]
jfk...grassy knoll...a man with a gun...methinks the FBI may want a word or two ;)
Nice work as always !

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#16]
Hehe. First grass test was made in an indoor map. This was looking highly illegal.

Granada - Several tools were used here, but I'm still not very happy with the art path.

The building was made in good old maplet. Then I used a yet unreleased version of slimshady that is using my latest saveB3D code (see archives). This is where I added meshes to the map, eg. FLE terrain (modified FLE version that allows to use black as bottom holes). The resulting B3D was imported in giles and lightmapped.

The good thing about slimshady 0.5 is it allows to merge a lot of things, eg. from a number of tools, and still supports all Blitz features (alpha, fx...). I guess it will be part of the next distribution.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#17]
Wow, the grass looks exellent! Nice job. Looks better than a lot of commercial games. Much better than I could do.