Corridor Pack / WW2 Aircraft

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Corridor Pack / WW2 Aircraft

Banshee(Posted 2007) [#1]
My brother has just released some 3D models and he has asked me to post here, so over to him...

"I have finally released my modular game level models for use in your games.The pack includes rooms and corridoors and also has tables,chairs,filling cabinets,computers,plants and even a drinks machine.Its fully modular allowing you to create an infinate amount of levels.I have also included a demo level displayed below.

Also available is a WW2 aircraft pack which includes the Hawker Typhoon,Mitsubishi Zero,Me110,Fw190,P-51 Mustang and the Dehavilland Mosquito.All the models are around 2500 polys fully rigged ready for use in your games.

Links are

Coridoor System:
http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=29044

Aircraft Pack:
http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=29041

Hope you all enjoy"

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#2]
Good job! Building packs are always a good idea because buyers can make as many "levels" as they want with it.

I also like your brother's aircraft pack. Very nice and detailed.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#3]
The corridor system is nice, although I needed more info about the polycount of each object, with closeup screenshots.

puki(Posted 2007) [#4]
This looks exciting.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#5]
It does look nice, although perhaps a little flat and bland?
I think the interior pack perhaps needs much more 'props' that can be used within it going by that screenshot.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#6]
the level reminds me of the game "evil genius"

Banshee(Posted 2007) [#7]
Nick says:
Straight corridoor section=44 polys
Corner sections=36 polys
X sections=136 polys
T sections=76 polys
Rooms=88 polys
Demo level shown including all other objects =4368 polys
Texture size for the corridoor sections is 512 x 512 Set oput in such a way that it would be very easy to swap them.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#8]
Very nice aircraft - the close up shots via the link show them up much better.
I like the modular level building models. Nice low poly count.
Stairs/stairwell/escalator modules to allow you to build on different levels would be very cool.

puki(Posted 2007) [#9]
ALERT - The downloads from 'The 3D Studio' are borked.

On purchasing you get 2 downloads

The first one is described as 'CorridorSystem.zip @ 1.8Mb 3D Studio (.3ds)'. The second one is described as '3ds Corridoors.zip @ 728Kb 3ds max (.max)'

The first one links to a file called 'CorridorSystem.zip'. This one downloads fine - HOWEVER, this is the .MAX version. This should be the .3DS version.

The second one links to a file called '3ds'. This file has no extension. It downloads fine and you just need to rename it '3ds.zip' (call it what you like, but add the .zip file extension).

In a nutshell, the 2 downloads are in reverse - the descriptions are for the alternative download. At least you get everything - so no harm done.

puki(Posted 2007) [#10]
Concentrating on the 3Ds version:

There are 22 .3DS files:
Chair, Coffeetable, Computer, Corner1, Corner2, Corner3, Corner4, Corridor1, Crate, Desk, Level Demo, Office 2, Office, Picture, Plant, Room1, Room2, Sofa, Tsection1, Tsection2, Tsection3, Tsection 4.

Room1 - a small room
Room2 - a large room

Corridoor1

There are 4 corner sections. Corner1 is interesting as it has no doorways. It is interesting as there are no corridor or 'T'-sections that don't have doorways either (it would be nice if they were included)

There are 4 'T'-sections. However, 'Tsection3' and 'Tsection4' appear to be the same mesh - I am suspicious that one of these sections is meant to be different.

There is a pre-made level - which is the one pictured in this thread.

There is a pre-made office room too - NOTE: this room contains meshes that are not available as single mesh files (although, you could technically separate them yourself):
Telephone
Wood-effect desk - matches the cofee table
Room partition/divider - has 2 eye-level windows at one end
Filing cabinet
Drinks machine - refrigerated fizzy/soda/soft drinks-type

There is a second, smaller, pre-made office.

The included, separate mesh, furnishings are:
Chair - this is a typist-type chair - black with blue fabric
Coffee table - a square wood-effect low table
Computer - (this is actually an LCD-type monitor)
Crate - a metallic sort of sci-fi crate
Desk - this is more like a reception-type desk
Blue fabric office-type sofa
Wall picture - sci-fi scene
Potted plant

All of the rooms/sections seem to have lighting in the ceilings - Yes the meshes are single-sided so you can't see the ceilings from above. I find the lighting somewhat unsightly - in some areas the lighting is out of scale with other areas - the small office/room being a blatant example whereby the lights are ridicuously large. EDIT: in fact, this is caused by the fact that the lights are re-used from the corridor sections - thus they blatantly can go out of scale.

In conclusion - this is all very good. Good for a UFO/Laser Squad, turn-based, type of game (as an example).

However, I am concerned regarding 'Tsection3' and 'Tsection4' appearing to be the same mesh - I belive this to be an error.

puki(Posted 2007) [#11]
This stuff looks very nice when viewed from above.

Note: The desk (reception-type one) is not textured in this level - but this is fixable. EDIT: In fact, it is looking for a 'Desk.BMP' texture that does not exist.

EDIT: From an FPS point of view:

One thing I have noted with the demo level is there are gaps in the geometry which you can see through - so you may want to set a ground plane below your level or a moving surface parented to the player/cam to mask those. I don't see this as a major problem - but might be annoying for some people.

The drinks machine seems too tall and the monitors on the desks are too high - they are ideal to look at when standing up, but ridiculous for someone sitting at a desk. The drinks machine is user-fixable but the monitor is a bit more tricky. The room partition/divider now seems far too low - but this is user-fixable.

EDIT:
Use this as a rough guide (just to get you started):
Based on a 1.7 camera eye-height.
ScaleEntity level,.017,.017,.017

Set a ground plane at ,0,-.1,0
Colour the ground plane a darkish colour - remember though that the gaps in the geometry in the corridor-type sections go up the walls so setting it to black will look okay for the floor, but will stand out for the walls. In addition, you will still have to set the CameraClsColor to compensate - perhaps setting this slightly less dark.

EDIT:
This is mainly if you were using the level for FPS-type play/cameras. For a top-down/isometric game then you will probably not be too bothered.

EDIT:
In the demo level, there is an old hole (section of mesh missing) in the ceiling of Mesh13 which is the corner section to Mesh24 (The large empty room). I've looked at the individual corner meshes and they seem fine - so, I cannot see problems building a level - this is just a problem with the example demo level.

puki(Posted 2007) [#12]
Wait a minute!

There are no 'X'-sections of corridor in the 3DS download.

The 'X'-sections are stated and one is also pictured:
http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=29044

Sniffing-nora!

EDIT:
There are no 'X'-sections in the demo level, so there is no option to just export one out.

Sniff.

Banshee(Posted 2007) [#13]
From my brother

Hiya I ****** up a bit on the zip file for the corridoors could you post on the blitz forums that I have now included the X-Section and the missing texture file. Explain that this was a genuine error on my part, puki should be able to redownload.

puki(Posted 2007) [#14]
Great - downloaded it.

I've got the missing 'X'-section.

However, I think your brother re-borked the downloads as both downloads are now the 3DS files - the original and now the new version. The problem here is he named them wrongly in the first place, so he has now updated the wrong one.

He needs to replace the old 3Ds with the new one and put the MAX version back again too.