(Very Image Heavy) - Hi Res Deeper Dungeon Pics

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/(Very Image Heavy) - Hi Res Deeper Dungeon Pics

Matty(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello all,

I thought I'd share some pictures from my game (WIP) - this is the 'hi res' version (not available as download yet as I don't have enough web space available from my ISP yet).

So here they are:

Thanks,
Matty

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#2]
Nice Graphics but the sprites need some work on the alpha.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#3]
Looks nice. I don't think a warning is necessary, it all appeared instantly for me.

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#4]
Your graphics are very good (not only nice...) but I agree with alpha on sprites

Matty(Posted 2007) [#5]
When you say the sprites need some work on the alpha do you mean the characters or the 'fireball' things or both? I can't see what is wrong with the characters' sprites although the 'fireball' sprites are a bit rough.

Thanks for the positive feedback though.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#6]
double post

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#7]
Look at the third screen shot. I suppose all these yellow fireballs(?) are sprites, right?, When one overlaps another they are not smoothly blended.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#8]
I thought that was what you were meaning with the yellow fireballs. All the graphics are 'sprites' of a sort in this game as it is 2d (no 3d models here.) They, and the purple ones, need to be fixed - I'm not sure what the best way of doing it is, as it only happens when they overlap - it is too expensive (CPU intensive) to read the backbuffer's pixel colors so I read a copy of the background image's bank that I create at load time. This means that any alpha blended pixels will look wrong when they overlap another non background image pixel. Most of the time it is not noticeable except that the fireballs (Yellow) appear in large bursts and so it is noticeable then.

I'm using blitzplus for this which makes alpha a little tricky to handle without impacting the framerate heavily - and the way I do my animation and character sprites would not work in blitz3d or blitzmax - both are slower at individual pixel writes and I think blitzmax handles writing to the backbuffer differently?

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#9]
Unfortunately I can't help because I am not experienced in blitzplus, but the subject we are talking its not critical. Keep going on because I see you have done very good job so far.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#10]
Looks great.

I'm confused why you couldn't do it in either B3D or BMax though. Or more accurately, I'm a little unsure what you could be doing with your animation and character sprites which could not be done as well or better in B3D or BMax. It's true that pure pixel pushing is slower when 3d accelerated, but I can't imagine what you're doing with pixel pushing that couldn't be done another way. If you're coloring things, well you can tint sprites in realtime with 3d acceleration just by changing the draw color. Perhaps if you could elaborate a little, someone may be able to suggest a solution.

All that said, I didn't notice the alpha problems until Moraldi said where they were occuring, so they can't be too bad.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#11]
Hi Gabriel,

There are two reasons why I cannot do it in B3d/Bmax.
They are:

1 - Method I use for 'occlusion' of sprites by the background image

2 - Number of frames of animation used and size

Explanation for point 1 -

Although my game is isometric in appearance it does not use tiles for the background, instead it uses a single pre rendered image (which may have sections animated) along with 2 other images which contain the 'z ordering' information at each pixel in the background image. This means that I can have extremely detailed and complex level designs (ie like those in Baldurs Gate ) without using tiles. Each pixel in the sprite is tested against the z ordering images to determine if the pixel should be occluded or not. If I were to use regular image commands I would have no way of occluding parts of the sprites when they are partially behind a wall or behind a tree etc - not without using some kind of tile system - which I don't want to do as I couldn't use a prerendered image for the background.

Point 2 -

Each character has about 800 frames of animation, although some have more like 1000+. If I were to load them as an 'animimage' then for the 'Demon' who fits inside a bounding box of about 350x350 (considering all frames) he would take up over 300MB of video memory. Even if I were to crop the images to minimise transparent space it is still going to be over 100MB. Instead I have my own image format which is stored in System Memory, and only stores non transparent pixels the Demon takes up about 50MB of System Memory (he is the largest most of the others are between 4 & 16 MB of System Memory) That also leaves me with a lot more video memory to play with for the level and things like fonts and the like.

Hope that explains things a bit better.

From Matty

EDIT - to explain further I'll show how I store an animated sprite image and how I draw it to the screen.

Image Format

For a single image:

XSize - 1 byte that can be of value 1/2/4 which determines whether the xcoordinates are stored as bytes,shorts or ints
YSize - 1 byte that can be of value 1/2/4 which determines the whether the ycoordinates are stored as bytes, shorts or ints 

NumberOfColumns - 4 bytes (int), how many vertical strips of color values exist in the image, not necessarily equal to the width of the image in pixels.

then for each column the following is stored:
Xcoord - 1/2/4 bytes depending on XSize = x position of pixel in image

YCoord1 - 1/2/4 bytes depending on YSize = y position of start of column

YCoord2 - 1/2/4 bytes depending on YSize = y position of end of column

For each pixel between Ycoord1 and Ycoord 2 inclusive
RGBA - 4 byte int with R,G,B,A information

Note that when putting these images together (for which I've created a tool that reads either tga or uncompressed tif images) only pixels with an alpha greater than zero are stored ie completely transparent .  

For an animated image I simply combine each of these images in the format above and have a separate header which holds the offset of the start of each image.

I've got a nice workflow from poser or softimage to export images in either tga or tif format and then I simply run a tool written in blitzplus which converts these tif/tga images into images for my game. There are a couple of other things I'll probably put in the header at some point but they are not essential.

In the game itself when drawing these images I simply run through a bank containing the image data above and test each pixel as follows:

pseudocode

If Pixel is within screen boundaries then
 	If Pixel Has Not Already Been Drawn To Then 
		IF Pixel is within game world boundary then
			PixelDepth=peekint the pixel depth from a bank containing the background image z order value
			If PixelDepth<'FootZValue' then 
			'FootZValue' is the Z order value at the 'feet' of the sprite, assuming humanoid shapes (or anything which would reasonably be expected to fit into a cylindrical bounding box) this value should be the same
 for all pixels in the sprite image

The above line about the PixelDepth<FootZValue is what does the occlusion between the background scene and the sprite's pixels. I don't know of any other way to use a pre rendered scene (that is not easily broken into tiles) as a background image and have sprites move about them with correct occlusion at points. 

Modify RGB value of pixel as per lighting information passed to function for the sprite position in the world (RGB has components multiply blended with light map with light value being from the  'foot' point on the sprite in the world)
				If AntiAlias then
					PeekByte the Alphalevel of the pixel (which I just realised I can simply use a bit shift for so will change that right away...)
					Background RGB= Read Int from background rgb to get background pixel color at this point
					Perform Alpha Calculation If Alpha<255

endif 
				writepixelfast rgb at x,y
				poke byte into bank which marks this pixel as already drawn to...(no pixel is drawn more than twice - 1 for the background (blitted) and 1 here
			endif 
		endif 
	endif 
endif 

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#12]
hi matt looks great, im still trying to get rendered images from cinema 4d to work with your game, the last one i tryed crashed, but i am still working on it in my spare time ill let you know if i get any closer.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#13]
Hi Pete.

Please download the new version from my site above - there is a minor bug fix involving the collision map which may have resulted in a MAV occasionally (I was writing 3 bytes too many to a bank each time a level loaded).

If you want to try loading an image into the game then try this:

change the level1.gme file (as mentioned in the other post) - but make sure that the dimensions of the zmaps and background image are the same. Make them pngs for the zmaps and either png or jpg for the scene (although bmp would work fine too). Ensure that the gamesizex,gamesizey parameters are correctly specified (dimensions of images mentioned above).

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#14]
ill try that tonight.