Road Engine update - new traffic vehicles

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Road Engine update - new traffic vehicles

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've started to create the final traffic vehicles that will be used, very low poly, minimal textures (currently no detail texture on the body, just env. mapped paintwork) and with built-in soft-shadows so they look fixed to the road.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the first (a large rig) in the game -

Also 2 screenshots showing the front wheel camera view - no real reason for it other than it looks cool -

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#2]
And I also have cross-traffic working, so here is a little sequence showing the inevitable impact caused by misjudging the gap between 2 trucks. Note that I haven't yet created a crossroads scenery piece, so the trucks are just driving across a normal straight segment through the cliffs.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#3]
Looks OK... should there be textures?

puki(Posted 2007) [#4]
It really is quite exciting.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#5]
I think they're great. Just imagine when they "pop in" with a loud "hoot!".

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#6]
OMG - trucks are driving on the wrong side of the road! :)

I know that for you it's "normal" but the rest of the world might think it's bit odd and disturbing - unless your scenery is southern GB but to me it looks more like coastal Cal, especially because the trucks look US made too...

Matty(Posted 2007) [#7]
No Mustang they are on the correct side of the road! It's normal for us too in Australia! It's a refreshing change to have a car game with the vehicles on our side of the road. In fact why not have an option for 'left side of road' or 'right side of road' traffic.

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#8]

It's normal for us too in Australia!

Well you are upside down anyways so your "normal" is what it is ;P

[great place BTW, my wife has been there once three weeks when their choir toured there and she couldn't stop praising the ppl, weather and everything... she went rafting and ate kangaroo's too]

Having an option for traffic direction would be great, usually people are so stuck of "normal". Of course if you're doing specific locale then the option be not so good, but for general driving around without saying where it would rock.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#9]
I don't know if I can add that option - the waypoints are pre-loaded with the road, so they are numbered from start to finish...might be possible, I'll look into it.

Looks OK... should there be textures?

No, just on the wheels at present. I'm trying to set it up so that the vehicle can have its paintwork coloured by the program, so that it's not stuck with a certain colour on each vehicle type. I think if I set the texture to be grayscale only on the coloured bits then it will work...that's the next thing to try.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#10]
Couple more screenies - added some road signs, more foliage etc...

puki(Posted 2007) [#11]
I really must see all of the code and media to be able to scrutinise the sea/water on the right.

Email in sig.

ps, I watch Countdown every day and find you most interesting.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#12]

ps, I watch Countdown every day and find you most interesting.

LMAO!

Any more updates Carol?

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#13]
Not really, just trying out some other types of scenery and suchlike. I'm finding it quite hard to summon the energy to program much at the moment for some reason...

puki(Posted 2007) [#14]
Hand over the code and media to me. I'll do a bit whilst you recover.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#15]
You post that same thing in every thread - why? It wasn't funny the first time around, it's just irritating now.

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#16]
He's a talking parrot :(

Jake
PS: Did I mentioned that I don't like talking parrots? They're boring like hell...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#17]
Darn programmers block thing. Remember: it's the thing you want to do, you don't HAVE to do it.

Foliage stuff is looking great. Probably the rock texture is a lil blury when close to the camera. Think about to use motion blur on the screen edges. (probably based on a quad made of 4 tris with a shared transparent center vertex, as seen in the archives). Probably add bloom filters. Tho, too much filter stuff may slow it down unbearably.

One further thing is the street. it would look better if you'd use a couple of curved textures, instead of the straight one.

Of course, it's a darn hard competition out there, with todays road games. But yours is looking already pretty good.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#18]
It already has motion blur and bloom filter, although the bloom is turned off in the above screenshots as it starts to look a bit bright and garish.

Chad(Posted 2007) [#19]
Looks great, keep up the good work.

Tom(Posted 2007) [#20]
Looks very good Vordy.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#21]
Cheers people, hopefully someday I'll actually manage to finish one of these projects....doubt it though :)

Chad(Posted 2007) [#22]
Oh don't say that, you'll jinx yourself.. IF not finish it for yourself, finish it for the rest of us that want it! I would pay good money for a game like this, like I do for every new Need for Speed, or ATV OffRoad Fury, or Gran Turismo, etc!!

So don't even think about not finishing it, or else..