Skull (Preview)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Skull (Preview)

Wings(Posted 2007) [#1]
Here is a Skull Preview. I want critics so i can improve it. (if i listens :)

Last edited 2013

Wings(Posted 2007) [#2]
Here is a Skull Preview. I want critics so i can improve it. (if i listens :)

Last edited 2013

puki(Posted 2007) [#3]
The texture is not right - steal a better one - just Google it and thieve it. - you want one with darker eye-sockets etc - this one is more like a hospital brain scan thing.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#4]
very good.

one thing to try is to get a front facing image as well as the side image that you have and create planar maps from the sides and front. this will prevent the texture stretching on the front of the model

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#5]
This for a stone age-themed game? Almost looks more like a prehistoric skull, but great job on it, I do admit...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
Not bad so far, some suggestions:

Nose hole is a little too high and too big. The theeth radius is too wide. The radius of the theeth may be 6 cm, not 10 like in this model.

The eyes and nose seem to be carved "tunnels" to the inner hollow space of the skull, where the bone material is way too thick. You better use two parts, lower jaw and head. The head part may be solid, with carved "caves" for the eyes and nose.
You may also have to retexure it, using something other than flat mode.

Get some front pics of real skulls as an additional reference.

Wings(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thanks Jfk EO-11110

That was i was thinking. The texture can always change but the gemotry is setup wrong.. i shall redo this skull be back later this week. (With the model too)

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#8]
Not bad for a first try. Normally I get on version 3 or 4 of a model before I'm satisfied with it.

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2007) [#9]
Texture is lousy and the smoothing groups aren't right at all. Either do the eye-sockets and nose with just a texture or model them correctly and spend a decent number of polygons on them.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#10]
Dont know if this is the best way, but its usually what i do:
Have you got a program you can do a seam based unwrap?
if so, make a seam around the face then again for the back (in a kind of X) so you have the face, the back and sides as 4 separate regions. then do an unwrap. Save the wireframe UVimage and use clonebrushtool to put the detail in place in paintshop/gimp/photoshop(you need to scale your texture to match the wire.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#11]
the only thing wrong at tis skull are the eyes.
they sould be mode like a cave. but they are like a tube...

i think if you are planingn to put this into a game, you shouldnt do so many details...
200 polys max and a 128x128 texture max.

Barliesque(Posted 2007) [#12]
It looks like you've modelled polygons on the inside of the skull. You can greatly simplify the model by making it solid--no internal modelling. Let the texture create the impression of "holes" for eye sockets, etc. For your model, just make an indented space. You should end up with a lot fewer polygons, and then you can maybe afford to smooth out those hard edges a bit.