Tree model for voidrpg.

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Tree model for voidrpg.

Wings(Posted 2007) [#1]
Here is a new example of the new tree model in voidrpg.

Curently i decided to draw each Root tree manual and add leafs manual cause it will look better than random trees.

Last edited 2013

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#2]
Your tree trunk and branches are too straight, a tree isn't a clothes hanger.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#3]
The contrast is pretty high on the leaves, but the colours look washed out on the truck. I suggest decreasing the contrast on the leaves, and trying to elminate the black edges round them.

Xzider(Posted 2007) [#4]
Well...I think it looks good

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#5]
Yeah. looks good, tho, I agree, the black bleeding outlines of the leafes. They increase with a higher distance! You better use masked DDS DXT3 textures instead, they don't bleed, as long as the background color is not black, of course. But other than masked bmp they allow to use alpha information to set the mask.

The tree looks good, but also a bit highpoly. did anybody mention the polycount yet?

IKG(Posted 2007) [#6]
The actual bark texture isn't as "cartoony" as the leaves. That's my only complaint.

Wings(Posted 2007) [#7]
Here is a new pic with updated texture for leaf. I used a TGA.
Thoe i discovered a light problem with RootTree Shade not matching my artist leaf shade :(

maby i will have to update leaf shade with position of the sun.

Last edited 2013

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#8]
What is the leafes texture, alpha or masked? It's looking more like maskmode to me. In both cases the usage of TGA won't help, because Texturefiltering and Mipmapping will make the contour ae to black (as long as the transparent parts are black, no matter if it's 32bit TGA or not). It is unfort. not possible to load a mask other than with the rgb color black for transparent parts (only exception is DXT3 an 5). If you don't have to load the tree model completely textured, then you may use the OptimizeAlpha example from the archives to fix this black border issue.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#9]
that is a pretty nice looking model. what is the poly-count?

Wings(Posted 2007) [#10]
And here is the tree engine early version still the shade on leafs is static wrong cause i dint fix it. thoe this runs at 75 fps. with sincos amimatet leafs.

dont know polycount. but i belive its below 1000 per tree.

Last edited 2013

Wings(Posted 2007) [#11]
Vertices: 285
Triangles: 469
Groups: 1
Matreals: 1
Joints: 0
Smoth Groups 1,2

i say its low poly.. with a 512x512 texture tree mapping.
leaf maps are 256x256

iam not sure if to use 255 or 256 any one knows witch is best. ?

Lui(Posted 2007) [#12]
this looks very nice
the leaves are sprites, arenīt they?

Wings(Posted 2007) [#13]
Yes iam curently using sprites for leafs. and it run 512 trees at 60 fps. On my machine. i know i shold use single surface library for faster speed. but i do that later when engine needs it. :)

Curently devloping some more BranchTrees. Yesterday i designed a old Oak and managed to crash my software. max leaf per tree is now 32 maby i shold have 128.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#14]
Ah, that looks much better man :o) Nice work! There's not enough people selling tree's nowadays.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#15]
Wings, it's looking good, altough it seems now you're using Alpha for the leafes. I wouldn0t use the alpha mode for leafes because it will mess up the z-order of other alpha things (water, clouds, particles etc)

450 Tris for one tree - well I wouldn't consider this low poly. You say you have 512 Trees in your scene, my gosh this is almost 250 thousand tris!

Personally I think to be playable, a game should not contain (or render) more than 25 thousand tris. Remember, today they still sell those cheapo cards like Radeon 9200 series, or GeForce 5200. Something that is used in many cheap PCs of occassional players. As long as your engine cannot competite the market leaders like doom3 or HL2 etc., forcing high hardware requirements is questionable.

Now, 250 thousand Tris, only for the trees ?!? What are you gonna do with the timeconsuming animated meshes like characters? Buildings, What about grass? Special fx like shadows or . depth of field or motion blur? Linepicks? what about game logic that has nothing to do with the Rendering part? They all take a lot of power, so your trees are not practical IMHO.

I don't want to discourage you. But it seems to me you should reset your priorities and think about to do one of the following:

-Use some kind of LOD engine for the trees.
-Use VIS occlusion (requires a low camera range, so no wide open even landscapes)
-study AAA title trees and how they are designed.

Even if trees of AAA titles are "as low poly as it gets", they usually still use some sort of LOD or VIS occlusion engine.

Wings(Posted 2007) [#16]
I wanted the tree to look nice.. Good idea about alpha.. dint think of that bug :)

no not using 512 tree at same time maby Max 25 trees. all else will be lods. to start with.

Right now i use 512 trees just to test my gfx card :)

Aloha leavs is about 16 on this model.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#17]
no not using 512 tree at same time maby Max 25 trees. all else will be lods. to start with.

Now this sounds much better.