UV mapping discussion

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/UV mapping discussion

Bouncer(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm making new models for nano (lot's of them) and I'm not a very good modeller and don't know all the tricks. UV mapping and texturing are the hardest parts for me.

What I wanted to know is some general tips, on the best ways to unwrap a model? I know it does depend on the model and the used software. But how do you go for it in more complex models? Any tips or descriptions on your workflow are appreciated...

And if you could comment on this. Especially UV mapping. Is this style a smart style to uv map?

Lowpoly player ship (196 polys)

What do you think of this UV-map... I know it could be more dense to save texture space, but is it stupidly assembled or what???

I used:
Silo for modelling
Ultimate Unwrap 3d for UV mapping

Thanks

scribbla(Posted 2007) [#2]
good subject

ive found UVs to be one of my major pains

the best solution ive come up with is to use morphs to flatten the mesh out. then take the uv off that
then i delete the morph,
never used silo or unwrap so dont know if this is a viable option
or
if you mesh is similar left/right then just uv one half to get a good size, then copy the mesh for the other half so both sides use the same uv space

tools: lightwave

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#3]
Your UV-map looks just fine! I might have kept the top of the wings together with the top of the body but that is minor whine. Also like you said map has empty space so you could have compressed it further - this would also give some additional texture resolution because after compressing you could scale everything up a bit (to fill the UV-space completely).

I usually dissect my models with planar projections as far as possible unless it's a leg or something where cylinderical projection is the obvious choice. I try to keep everything in the same scale but some things like headlights & logos I might do X2 or X4 - this usually makes the whole model sharper.

Also I try to use as little maps as possible because multiple surfaces slow everything down, better use bigger map than two separate small maps. I don't like "pelt" style maps because they are impossible to paint by hand... but if I can generate and bake texture to it using coded/procedural stuff it's OK then.

Bouncer(Posted 2007) [#4]
Great tips there Mustang!

ray-tracer(Posted 2007) [#5]
-great model and painting

-the mirror tip (use same uvs on both sides)is good.
thereīs no reason to paint the same thing twice and waste Texturespace.

- also a tip to save Texturespace: use straight uv-lines,make it quad where you can.(Itīs also easier to paint straight lines. it causes less stretching ,than most people think.

For me uv-ing ,is also hard and boring.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#6]
after UV mapping the warhawk.b3d I have a new respect for just how hard it is to do.

this is a stellar first effort! (much better than mine)

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#7]
I tend to break up the model into component parts, and making sure to mirror and identical parts. Like for instance a character's arms. Unwrap each arm and flip one arm and over the two, so they take up the same space as one arm.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#8]
i would say thats a great map youve done.

I hate uv mapping too, i tried loads before settling with blenders complicated but effective system, its really fiddily to learn though.