Gamebuilder interface

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Gamebuilder interface

b32(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is the interface for my 'Gamebuilder' project. I want to use it for a course GameDesign (agegroup 9-11). Could you please tell me what you think about it, and give any suggestions?
This is the modelling tool of the program:

This is the world editor:

This is the program editor:

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think the look of the interface is ok. Maybe a little small viewing window wise. But the absolute main thing is how easy it is to use. I designed a world editor and to this day i'm still tinkering about with it, finding way's to make it more straight forward and make sure you can perform tasks without switching modes too much

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
It's looking great. As if the game design is actually the game. Probably that's what we're all doing here anyway.

Ross is right, things should be straight forward. Not that my editors are userfriendly :o)

I think you should develop your editors while you're are creating real levels for games. This way you will realize pretty soon what needs to be optimized.

What is the programming editor doing? Looks like kind of turtle logo or somthing. Is this already functional? I'd have to see the output of the system.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#4]
If you're really going for a 9-11 agegroup, go easy on the code design and modelling bit. Have you ever tried RPG Maker? Especially, RPG Maker II was for PS2 and its code design editor was horrifically hard. It had no modeller, but a big pile of boxy, cartoonish graphics that you could change the color,scale,etc: of.
Back on the subject of the game maker, It looks great, I think the limited viewport will make little (if any) annoyance.

b32(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thanks I'm glad you like the look. I read about "Gary Kitchens Gamebuilder" and wanted to make something like that. The layout was based on "Mayhem in Monsterland"
The code runs almost completely. Only four commands are missing. You can run the game from inside the editor.

I wanted the program to serve both beginners and advanced users.
The most basic program you can write is:
If Hit "objectname" Then Explode "objectname"
That means the object will explode if you click on it.

A more complex feature is that you can name several objects the same, and then use:
For Each "objectname"
If Hit "objectname" Then Explode "objectname"
Next

This will make the "compiler" compile the same code for each object with this name.
I noticed that dragging each command isn't all that in the end. So I think in between the editing and running, I should allow advanced users to manually add/edit the commands in a text editor.

Svenart(Posted 2006) [#6]
Interesting to see what you are doing there. As I was 12, we only learned Basic on C64... (ok, better than nothing)

10 Print "Hello world"

looks ok to me. must has taken much time to create this tools...

b32(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks and well, yes .. I started November last year and I've been off and on working on it. The programming language I wrote last february. The graphical interface is a new program that wraps the original text-based core. I wrote the extrude and lathe too but only as separate programs. They should be included somewhere before the end of the year.

Mattizzle(Posted 2007) [#8]
I will want to try this out when it's complete. So what if I'm 15! :-P

b32(Posted 2007) [#9]
Thanks a lot, I appreciate that. At this moment, I have only a beta version of 'compound' online. I will send the link by email.
I started my classes yesterday with showing the samples from the Blitz3D demo. It was a big 'hit'. The children liked playing around with the different samples.
I am still working on a beta version of the world editor, but I am tied up in another project, which I have to get round to first.

Mattizzle(Posted 2007) [#10]
No problem! drummerboy1377 at bellsouth dot net