im making content

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/im making content

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#1]
bit dull but i like making quick models like this when i have five minutes. anyone want a city content pack of stuff like this?

devilschild check your email

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#2]
Are there any screenshots?

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#3]
not yet still making it ! just interest to see who would be wanting it

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#4]
those look a bit high poly for bits of scenery.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#5]
the pack comes with a 84 poly barrel, a 150 and a 300 poly version.

this is the 84 poly version.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#6]
Poly meaning quad?

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#7]
sorry no triangles

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#8]
A set of low-poly items like that could indeed be handy for quickly filling out a city: the back rooms and alleys that aren't of primary importance, but which would look barren without such "knick-knacks." Is that something like what you were thinking, Pete? If so, I'd be interested in seeing how your pack turned out.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#9]
thats about it. ive got :-

barrels
street lamps
cardboard boxes
post boxes (english and american)
fences (4 diferent types )
creates
light fittings
strip lights
tables
chairs

its there any other models on the same theme people would like?

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#10]
Street lights and large overhead power lines.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#11]
leadwerks: i really like the overhead power lines that where with the sample map you put out with 3d world studio. thanks for the ideas

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#12]
I mean these things:

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#13]
Hey Josh,

You took that picture on the way back from E3 or a developers conference didn't you?

IPete2.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#14]
sorry its the phone lines that are with 3d world studio warehouse demo that i like.

yeah i could make some power lines like the ones above.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#15]
yeah, received it a week ago and also responsed...
thank you again :)

edit: if you need place to upload these, just ask for it :)

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#16]
cool thanks Devils child, i talk to you when ive got them finished.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#17]
okay^^

and i also got 20 models with very good textures!
(not yours leadwerks...)

but i'm not going to post them here, because i found them somewhere in a few demos...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#18]
the barrels definitely has too much polies. You should never become a finacial minister :o) Even new games use low poly barrels. There is a smart trick to get the impression of highpoly cylinders with a big lot of segments where they are in fact still low poly with 8 or 10 segments only: for the cap of the cylinder use a quad that overs the cylinder entirely, then texture it with a perfect round masked texture, a little bigger than the cylinders diameter, using dxt3 with alpha and the mask flag. Seen eg. in splinter cell for car wheels.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#19]
jfk nice idea that a good tip.

i thought using masked of alpha textures is more of a performance hit than a few extra polys though? guess it depends on the engine. anyway the textures the part that take a bit of time, if someone needs less polys they can make a low poly cylinder and use my texture anyone can make a cylinder.

only down side to your tip JFK is if you use shadow volumes it would be screwed up.

ill give it a go and then maybe make a super low poly version. thanks for the tip

Pete

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#20]
I don't think it's slower. The cards are designed for dds masked things. As long as there are not too many overlapping alpha levels, it can be rendered fast. With masked dds textures, there is no alpha but the alpha channel will be used only to interpolate the mask contour.

For Shadow volumes you may use a system that allows to A use the orginal mesh for the volume creation, or B use a simplified hidden clone that fits the stencil shadow requirements.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#21]
cool ill give it a try

Chad(Posted 2006) [#22]
Any updates on this Pete?

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#23]
getting there but ive had alot of overtime at work so progress is slow

Mattizzle(Posted 2007) [#24]
I don't want this to die, so I'll go ahead and post something... uh... Bojangle?

Just kidding :-P The pics look really good! I'm interested in your model pack too.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#25]
ive got a couple more models to finish first then ill finish this off. i wish i had more time to spend on things like this