4 Pieces of pixel art

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/4 Pieces of pixel art

skn3(Posted 2006) [#1]
Firstly, what the hell is wrong with the forum moderators here ? Nearly every topic I make gets deleted. I made 2 seperate topics, each containing an image that I wanted feedback on. Because the images were from the same "project" and each in their own topic, somone decided to delete the threads ?

Wtf ?? I just get less and less inclined to post on this forum nowadays!

Now the rant is over...

I am applying for a 2D-pixel artist job and they required me to draw some test pieces before the interview stage.

The brief was:

To help us assess a potential Artist’s abilities we have devised a simple test that ALL candidates must complete before being considered for a role of Artist.

As well as strong drawing and visualizing skills we are also looking for candidates who can “think out of the box” so read the brief carefully and think about how best you are going to impress.

This test is divided in two parts. The emphasis should be put on both details and good use of a restricted colour palette. The sprite animation tests should reflect good timing and the respect of the guideline for producing sprites.
You should produce two version of the brief; one realistic and a second that is more cartoon based (e.g. Manga, Warner Bros, and Disney etc.).

Background test:
Paint a 128*128 pixels size background using 16 colours. The background should represent a common street from a big city (e.g. New York) in daylight. The background must wrap horizontally and be represented in a realistic way. Repeat the exercise with you’re chosen second cartoon style.

Sprite test:
Produce 2, 4/5 frames walk animation of a character of your choice (one realistic and one in your chosen cartoon style). Sprite size is 32*48 pixels, maximum.

Here are my 4 pieces.

"realistic city"

"cartoon city"

"realistic sprite"

"cartoon sprite"

I got some feedback from the previous thread (before they were deleted) and made some changes based on that. Thanks.

So whaddya think ? Any comments ?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
I like almost all, especially the cartoon city version. I think the cartoon one could do with more animation on the upper half. To me the leg animation is good but looks like you just stuck that green head on top of each frame and didn't do much else with it.

Then again, I'm no artist so feel free to ignore me ;)

Stevie

JoeRetro(Posted 2006) [#3]
Those images simply look great! You should land the job! Good Luck!

skn3(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks!

Believe it or not the green dude pretty much turned out how i wanted lol. A solid block of shiney stuff, that has a face in oversized pants. lol.

Kind of in theme with the objects with faces as in the city.

I guess its one of my "styles" ?

(see earlier picture)

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#5]
all nice work, good 4 frame walk cycle

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#6]
Looking good. I always used to love this kind of challenge: 16 colors etc.

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#7]
I like the realistic city :)

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2007) [#8]
Nice work mate in restrictive conditions.
What software did you use to do these - something like ProMotion with onion-skinning etc?

Let us know about the job, and good luck :)

Raz(Posted 2007) [#9]
nice work mr skn! :D especially like the realistic city

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#10]
nice work, ive allways found it hard working with limited palettes

LOL im getting sentemental flashbacks of those old lucas & sierra games like loom, space quest, leisure suit larry etc, (in the CGA/EGA/MCGA days(NOT the fancy remakes))

"Nearly every topic I make gets deleted."

Did you post in the right forum? i havent herd of legit posts getting deleted. Even inappropriate ones just get locked/moved. If you go to the accounts page and click on forum posts it should list all posts ever made by you (just incase you were looking in the wrong place, time, etc)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#11]
Hi

The realistic city imho is not very good. There is too much dithering. Dithering here is really overdone. A lot of places in this image would have benefitted from less dithering and more block colour.

There is also a complete lack of lighting in the image, stark shadow, or even 80% tone shadow would have worked better. There is also too much detail worked into it. Less is more with a limited palette.

The cartoon one: I think it is interesting but suffers from the same busy feel to it. Remember, backgrounds are meant to be interesting, not overpowering. In your case you can look at making them less dominent but more lush.

Cartoon sprite: I would have tried for a bouncy disney dog of some kind, with briefs they usually look for the most obvious ability appeal. They do not usually go for what they ask for, crazy I know...

you need to think obvious rather than outside the box or buzzwords when applying for the job. I hope you get it though, you never know.

Just my opinions :)

skn3(Posted 2007) [#12]
Nice work mate in restrictive conditions.
What software did you use to do these - something like ProMotion with onion-skinning etc?

Let us know about the job, and good luck :)

I used graphicsgale and paintshop pro.

I passed their the test and got offered the job but thankfully/unfortunatly I had another job offer which was closer to home. The one these sprites were for, was all the way up in scotland. OCK NOO! lol

The realistic city imho is not very good. There is too much dithering. Dithering here is really overdone. A lot of places in this image would have benefitted from less dithering and more block colour.

There is also a complete lack of lighting in the image, stark shadow, or even 80% tone shadow would have worked better. There is also too much detail worked into it. Less is more with a limited palette.

The cartoon one: I think it is interesting but suffers from the same busy feel to it. Remember, backgrounds are meant to be interesting, not overpowering. In your case you can look at making them less dominent but more lush.

Cartoon sprite: I would have tried for a bouncy disney dog of some kind, with briefs they usually look for the most obvious ability appeal. They do not usually go for what they ask for, crazy I know...

you need to think obvious rather than outside the box or buzzwords when applying for the job. I hope you get it though, you never know.

Thanks for your feedback. Here is my response.

The idea was to show the technical side rather then practical. I just made the decision to make tileable graphics. Regardless of weather it could be used in game. Impress rather then practicality.

As for the cartoon animation. "obvious ability appeal". Their quote said "think outside of the box" :). If they had said "draw a typical cartoon character" I would have done so.

Wow you are sure of yourself arn't you. As said above I got offered the job but turned it down. You need to think outside of the box more then obvious. he he he ;)

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the feedback, but it seems that yours were in direct contradiction to reality.

Take care.

scribbla(Posted 2007) [#13]
if i may be so bold as to ask

how did you find out about these jobs, as i would like a crack at applying for a pixel job, just to see how far i get

would make a welcome change from building sites

skn3(Posted 2007) [#14]
It is not bold. The pixel job, a guy from an agency came to my website ( http://www.acsv.net ) and contacted me through the member mail system i have there. The job I took. Web designer / web developer / artist / programmer ( I get paid to program in blitzmax ) i applied for myself from a site called gumtree.

http://www.gumtree.com

Funny that. My previous job was also on a building site. All I can say is, quit the job and try and persue a job in what you actualy want to do. Building site work really kills you and zaps your life away!