Movie 2 Of Blood & Plunder (17MB)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Movie 2 Of Blood & Plunder (17MB)

Matty(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello All,

I thought I'd put together another movie of my game, in a different level with the correct lighting (see other threads - my PC had its brightness/contrast settings all wrong meaning everyone else saw images that were too dark).

Here is the link:

http://home.people.net.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/BNP2/Movie1.wmv

(17MB)

Thanks,

Matt

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
Looking good. Much clearer graphics now. A couple of observations ..

The characters could do with some shadows in fitting with the nice backgrounds.

The arrows don't seem to be firing from the correct place when the character is facing in a certain direction.

Stevie

skn3(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looking good so far.
Some things I noticed/suggestions:

- You need shadows for all your stuff. The Ai seems to just be on "follow the leader" .. so you end up having tons of blighters chasing you always on the run.

- The powered up split shot bolts really arnt much better then single basic bolts. One enemy takes all of them rather then having a wide effect.

- Why would you use a bow for short hand attacks (I am being pedantic as it is a game). Perhaps you could have a dagger for close range creatures. like a second auto attack which happens when a beast is in close proximity.

- You need some particle effects of some kind. For when you hit a creature, when you fire and so forth.

Keep up the good work

Matty(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks for the suggestions, they are all good points although some of them will be harder to implement than others. Shadows are something that would be very nice to include but are probably the most difficult to achieve given the way the game currently draws the scene. Arrows firing from the correct position will require some work but should be easily enough to fix. The AI is fairly simple but then the game is fairly simple so I am not too fussed about that one.

I agree the split shots are more like 'shotgun' blasts - I might change them to be 'homing' or guided shots.

Having additional attack methods (ie dagger up close) is fairly simple to do just time consuming as I'd have to render a whole bunch more frames of animation - currently the game can handle up to 4 'action' types per character such as different attacks or actions - just have to render the images.

Particle effects - would love to include these. They, like the shadows, are another difficult to implement feature but probably worth it.

Thanks for the feedback, all useful.

EDIT - Added shadows - actually it was quite easy but took a bit of tweaking to get right - very basic shadows - darken the backdrop pixels by 25% in the region beneath the player's feet in a round 'blobby shape' which slowly shrinks/grows slightly in the game over time.

Next then I guess is to add/improve particles.

skn3(Posted 2006) [#5]
Good to see your taking some of this adivce :D