Selling 3D Models

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Selling 3D Models

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm thinking of making 3D models and selling them at:

www.the3Dstudio.com

Does anyone have any requests?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
Before I make requests I'd like to see some of your work.

BTW I just see, the page doesn't tell the polycount of the meshes, at least not for the few characters I watched. That's pretty bad IMHO.

BTW2 there's also turbosquid.com .

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#3]
it does show polycount but the site layout is a little odd

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#4]
I am looking for a cartoonist character nice looking to kids. How can I contact you? (I mean via the3Dstudio.com or an e-mail)

Doggie(Posted 2006) [#5]
Fighting soldiers from the sky
Fearless men who jump and die
Men who mean just what they say
Those brave men are the green beret.

rigged and animated.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
Already done : http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/242076

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#7]
Must love GI Joe. Last man standing.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yikes that large font is really offputting. (the3dstudio)

I think Turbo squid is better known although why not post it on both? Theres loads of sites like this, post it on them all.

Heres a few:turbosquid.com,3dcafe.com,3dlinks.com,

Ps, If you need to photograph 'em for websites try THIS :P

AJirenius(Posted 2006) [#9]
Ok, let me ask you all:
Are you all Americans? Cause reading the faq about all forms to fill in as a nonamerican I just shrudder and want to hide somewhere.

Is it the same in the3dstudio??

Do you know any site that doesn't follow these american taxlaws (33% of sells!!! if Turbosquid takes 50% does that mean I will get 17% of the sells???)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#10]
No. You're taxed on your income, not TurboSquid's.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#11]
Im not american, Im half welsh, born in england, lived in india, thailand, and australia and now live in sweden.... Im begining to loose my roots i feel :O(

You only pay to america Income tax or charge americans VAT(sales tax) if you live there. If you are a european you have to charge VAT(sales tax) to private individuals(non vat registred) in EU states at your countries rate (which is ridiculous btw!).

If turbosquid collect vat for americans thats fine but you would never see that anyway. If the american gvt is taking money or turbosquid start taking money from your 50% then theyre breaking the law (or you are because you gave incorrect info). However, your own government will probably wanna slice of the 50% pie as income tax, but as TS are selling it they need to worry about the VAT :)

Hope that load of old blurb was some help.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#12]
Sorry it took me sooo long to get back.

@everyone
I've recently finished creating a low poly pikeman in Milkshape 3D to sell. I'm very proud of it. It's ready to sell. I just need to know what legal stuff I need to do before I can register with the3dstudio or turbosquid and start making $. Can you also tell me how to find out how many polys there are in a model? (remember I'm using Milkshape.)

Here are some screenies:

@jfk
I guess I already answered your question:)

@Moraldi
I will email you. If you give me textures, I will gladly model. (I don't have an artist and I don't have the skills to make textures:) )

@Doggie
Like I said to Moraldi, I would perfer you have textures.

@D-Grafix
Ya, I'm think I'll try more than one site.

@AJirenius
I'm American:)

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#13]
Whoa, long feet.

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#14]
You're going to need more practice first.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#15]
@Fuller
A little Streched, eh? Ya, I know they're a bit on the long side:)

@smilertoo
What do you mean by I need more practice?

@everyone
I'm planning on making an animated version of him too.
If anyone wants him, please say so and give a (reasonable) price.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#16]
@everyone
I'm planning on making an animated version of him too.
If anyone wants him, please say so and give a (reasonable) price.

I don't know a nicer way to say this, but this is me trying to say this nicely. You are not ( yet ) good enough to sell models. Your proportions are wrong. The shapes are wrong. The texture ( while not great ) is being distorted because the UV mapping is wrong. You need more practice.

If you try to sell models of this quality, you will find plenty of people who will tell you that the models are fine and anyone who says otherwise is being harsh and cruel and mean. But those people won't buy them because they don't have cash right now ( except that they're asking for advice on $500 software in another thread ) or they're not making a game that would fit them ( until you look in their sig and they are ) or whatever.

I'm trying to be constructive. You've already come a long way. You're already better than me, and I'm sure I've been doing this longer than you have. But you need more practice if you want to make models that people will buy. I'm quite sure you have the ability if you put in the time though.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#17]
You're probably right, sigh.Thanks Gabriel-- for the "constructive" part of your post. I designed him for a RTS game. So he wouldn't look that bad from far away:) If I end up making an RTS game, I could definately use him:`(that's supposed to be a sheepish smile) Can you just tell me how the proportions are wrong? (besides the feet) He is in armor.

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#18]
1 problem is that the person inside would have to have incredibly long thin upper legs. Also a suit of armour is pieces so joints can bend.

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#19]
I don't have any textures. I think that the workflow "says" first the modeling and after the textures. In any case I will wait for your e-mail so I can let you know more details about what I am thinking

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#20]
Can you just tell me how the proportions are wrong? (besides the feet) He is in armor.

Of course. The arms and legs are both too narrow. They also look a little too long, but I suspect that's only because they're too narrow. If they were broader and had more shape to them, they would probably be about right for length.

Try to find good reference images to work with.

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#21]
www.3d.sk
there you'll find lots of references.

Keep it up Bubble Boy, nobody makes their best work early in their career - work hard and you'll be just as good as the best out there!

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#22]
Also, he is a very boring model, as in he wouldn't hold the attention of a gamer for very long. Try to brake things up abit, in terms of colour, size, shape, texture etc so it can be explored by the eyes. An example:

Also the one you made wouldn't be very good for an rts either (looking at the fingers on the hand). This is the sorta polycount/detail you would be looking for in an rts:

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#23]
Thanks to dx10 this will no longer be an issue...yay.
Now we just have to wait for dx10 games.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#24]
@smilertoo
Ya, I'll fix that.

@Moraldi
Are you sure you want me to do some art for you after the pictures of my pikeman?

@Gabriel
Thanks.

@chaotic
Thanks for the link and the encouraging words.

@boomboom
Umm, okay. But a little F.Y.I. : I didn't design him to be a logo:)
How many polys is that RTS model?

Here's my model from far away:

Anyways, thanks for your input.

@smilertoo
That could make my life a little easier:)

gburgess(Posted 2006) [#25]
If you're making models for an RTS, it's best to make then in a pack. This one guy on his own probably won't sell. Put him in a pack, with a group of similar-themed models, and you'll stand a much better chance.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#26]
Good point Glenny-boy. I might sell individual models for a larger unit price than a package of, say, 20 or 30 models.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#27]
"Whoa, long feet"

Ive looked at suits of armor recently and the boots are long and pointed (english medieval anyway), a bit like womens boots, cept made of metal for kicking enemies on the ground i guess. (they must have been the first football hooligans :P).

I think theyre more or less the right length, just need to be pointed and slightly upturned.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#28]
@D-Grafix
That's interesting. Thanks for the input.

@Everyone
A few more questions:
How do the professionals (such as the creaters of Oblivion) go about making the textures (and making them look SOOO perfect)?

Do they use pictures of real things or do they make everything from scratch?

If they make every thing from scratch, what progam do they use? Corel Draw?

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#29]
ha , bubble boy , you have a lot to learn. textures are often hand painted, then photo overlays added to give it a bit more substance, but there are many ways to create textures.
most game artists use photoshop.
I doubt you will get mnay sales yet, but keep practising and see how far you can get

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#30]
@Ruz
Oh.
I probably need a good scanner and a good camera then.

@Everyone
Do the professionals use 3DS MAX?

Sorry I keep asking questions :P

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#31]

I probably need a good scanner and a good camera then.

Cheap scanner will do just fine, you will be changing scanned stuff during the work process so much anyway... so no need for pro repro dia-scanner! I have few years old cheapo HP scanner and I hardly ever use it. Camera (I have Canon PowerShot 5mp) and even internet (free online photo textures like mayang) are usually enough.

Do the professionals use 3DS MAX?

Yes, and Maya, XSI and even Lightwave. MAX is bloated and overpriced IMO, get XSI which is 10 times cheaper at <$500. XSI6 is coming before the end of this year, ie very soon... be sure to check it out if you're thinking about buying a modeling/rendering/animation software.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#32]
I dont' think MAX is overpriced anymore. It used to be, but since it now includes hair and cloth for the same price, I think it has become one of the cheaper options.

Its still bloated and buggy though, thats why i got XSI instead :)

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#33]
Whoo-a hair & cloth in MAX? [insert sarcasm] XSI has those too and then some:

http://www.edharriss.com/xsi/version5.htm [notice that this is V5]

We use XSI at work and I'm going to buy the V6 home too... it is that good! After many years of using MAX and then several years with Lightwave I think XSI is the answer for me... But askagain 2010 and I might be using something else :)

Lnk to XSI 6 features:

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/whats_new/default.aspx

Oh, and a XSI6 30-DAY TRIAL link:

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/free_trial/default.aspx

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#34]
ya, i know i am an xsi user. I was saying that in response to your opinion that max is expensive. Max is 3,400 grand and comes with hair and cloth, and mainanence is around 300 a year.

xsi with hair and fur is nearer 7grand and 1 grand a year maintence.

Similer story wth maya. So really 3dmax is quite cheap....I just don'y like using it much.