Airwolf

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Airwolf

Atomic Duck(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi Guys,

Here's my latest version (although not quite finished) of airwolf.

what do you think ?

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#2]
It's difficult to say. Could you provide a screengrab with better, clearer positioning of the model, and also a wireframe shot if you have one? Maybe also include a picture (or link to a picture) of the 'real thing' for reference?

Going on vague memories of the show, I'd say that it looks suitably Airwolfy to me - but I'd probably say the same about any big black helicopter.

Atomic Duck(Posted 2006) [#3]
Sure, how's this ?

Here's the real deal

Still busy with the turbo-engines. Currently at 6004 TRIS.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
Looks good. Maybe th epolycount is too high for ingame use, especially when there are more than one of them, plus the other stuff found in a game.

It's a nice model, problably rather useful for cgi rendering,.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#5]
Ah the heavily modified Bell 222. Man I really loved that show. The model looks great.

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#6]
this brings back such sweet memories.

Great model :)

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#7]
Any flatshaded screenshots?

puki(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yeh, looks good to me. Certainly resembles the real one.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#9]
Looking sweet. Try to make the paintwork a bit more 'matt' and don't forget the 3 barrel, drop down bazooka thing.

Atomic Duck(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thanks everyone :D

@ Numen Luni : Here are a couple of screenies with the weapons already deployed. I am currently working on the "drop-down bazooka". :)

@ Weetbix : erm.. sorry .. The shinyness is in the texture , but to give you an idea how it looks with ENTITYSHINYNESS enabled , here's another one ( sorry for black background. It's just a test for "shinyness"

Already busy with the stress-test

this one's with blur when you're using turbo.

Here's the base ( the Red Star Base from the first episode)

A couple of "enemies":

The textures for the last two are just place-holders

Everything is going well. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#11]
LOL I loved that show, we used to argue at school who would win out of bluethunder and airwolf :P

Would look great with a spherical env map addblended to layer 1
something like this mabe:

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#12]
Any chance of seeing the blueprints? I could never find any decent ones when trying to model Airwolf myself.

Jason.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#13]
1 minute with Google, first link using keywords "airwolf blueprints":

http://projects.airwolf.tv/resources/bpairwolf.html

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#14]
opps drunk again

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#15]
Neat. Thanks Mustang. When I looked for these years ago all that was available were some really small and blurry shots but these are much better.

Jason.

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#16]
Heh, love the high-performance racing tyres on that missile trailer :)

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#17]
The airwolf is to a bit to short i think. You can see it well at the nose. Here is a picture of a real airwolf, wich is a bit longer:

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#18]
Very nice!

StarTiger0(Posted 2006) [#19]
Ah, brings back such memories.

The real airwolf (the helicopter that was airwolf) ended up as a german air ambulance, and crashed killing all its ocupants.

Nice model though.

(Full turbos Dom)

Chris

Atomic Duck(Posted 2006) [#20]
Hi Guys

Here's my next version,

I've remade the entire model. 2000 poly's less than the previous version. Now it's around 5300 poly's.

In the first version I started with a cube and extracted geometry from that. Now, I started with a cylinder which gives better results.

D-Grafix wrote about spherical environment-mapping.
I did that and it looks great. I went one step further and applied Cubic Environment-mapping to the model.
The main texture is blended with Textureblend 3 and the cubemap has Textureblend 2. You can see the result here.

So far, it runs on a steady 30 fps , with realtime-Cubic Mapping .

More suggestions are welcome. :)

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#21]
problem with that is that the cubemappng is too uniform and too intense.
Is there no way to use an alpha mask to define areas that are shinier in some areas and less shiny in others

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#22]
The real airwolf (the helicopter that was airwolf) ended up as a german air ambulance, and crashed killing all its ocupants.

There were a few different airwolfs actually. There was a 4 rotor and 2 rotor version, probably a couple more also. Kinda like there were 5+ General Lee's in the Dukes of Hazard.

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#23]
How about a nice video or tech demo for all us fans?

Jason.

Atomic Duck(Posted 2006) [#24]
@ Ruz:

Perhaps you're right :)

I hope this one's better ?

( I'm redoing the cockpit at the moment, that's why it's white )

@ Quicksilva:

A video will appear when the model is ready and when a few technical issues are ironed out. :)

Thanks

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#25]
Cool, I`ll look forward to seeing it.

Jason.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2006) [#26]
the airwolf looks good, nice work.

Atomic Duck(Posted 2006) [#27]
Hi Everyone,

Here's the video I promised. The landscape is a bit empty at the moment. I'm already busy with trees and other stuff.

Hope you like the movie.
(ps the music was especially composed by a collague of mine (and Airwolf fan)

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/firestarter_/?action=view&current=TEASER.flv

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#28]
Man that looks great!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#29]
Looks fantastic, most I've managed so far is an eight spoked bike wheel in Wings 3D...

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#30]
Looking fab...

Can I ask a stoopid question? I thought Airwolf was a very dark green - not black?

IPete2.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#31]
I thought i was kinda real dark blue....

Hmmm, damit need to know now. Thanks a lot! :P

Comming on nicely atomic :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#32]
Airwolf was definitely black and white.

Jason.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#33]
Black and white or a very dark gray and white.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#34]
Airwolf was Black and White!

Only gray when it was dirty... ;)

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#35]
I need proof!

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#36]
the toy is metalic dark grey, but that doest mean the original was. im quite sure it was black and white too

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#37]
See the pictures here:
http://www.rc-airwolf.de/o_bilder.htm

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#38]
I guess the green I saw in the black was poor telecine transfer. Back in the day when it was mainly done by junior technicians or ones who were colour blind!

LOL.

IPete2.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#39]
Atomic Duck, I have some pretty decent helicopter physics if you're in need or just wanna try it out.

Atomic Duck(Posted 2007) [#40]
Thanks Chroma,

Sure, I'm interested. I'll be waiting then.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#41]
Ok I can email them to you. Btw, do you use tween or delta time for frame limiting? And do you have a joystick?

Andy(Posted 2007) [#42]
>There were a few different airwolfs actually. There was a
>4 rotor and 2 rotor version, probably a couple more also.
>Kinda like there were 5+ General Lee's in the Dukes of
>Hazard.

The 2 rotorblade version were the original + a number of closeup/detail models. The 4 rotorblade models were remote control scale models.

>Can I ask a stoopid question? I thought Airwolf was a very
>dark green - not black?

Before shooting began on the original film, it was glossy black and white, but it was too reflective for filming and was changed to phantom grey(dark misty grey with a hint of green) and white. During filming it was often covered with dirt to reduce reflections further. Also, many scenes were shot using green filters to make up for the lack of colour in the raw film.

Andy

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#43]
The 2 rotorblade version were the original + a number of closeup/detail models. The 4 rotorblade models were remote control scale models.

Google 4tw!

Atomic Duck(Posted 2007) [#44]
@ Chroma,

I use frame-limiting , and I don't have a joystick :( ,
but I know someone who has and I can borrow his .

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#45]
Dude I am very ill atm so I'll have to get back with you in a few days. I was at work and bam, cold chills, body aches...it sucks.

Mattizzle(Posted 2007) [#46]
any progress on this lately?