Spaceracer

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Spaceracer

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here's my new 3d model of a spaceship. It's designed for games and has got 3484 faces.
Out of cockpit:

Front

wireframe

Please tell me want you think of it

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#2]
Thats good! nice and smooth look to it.
Whats it made in?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#3]
It looks nice, but it's wayyyyyy too high-poly. You could get that down to 4-500 without losing much detail.

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks! @Fuller: It's made in wings 3d
@Gabriel: Yes, i'll get it down, because it's really a bit to much, screens will come soon

GfK(Posted 2006) [#5]
As has been said, you're using far too many polys.

Consider having two different models - a ship model consisting of, say, 800-1000 polys, plus a cockpit model.

The bottom line is, the in-cockpit screenshot doesn't look very good. By having two separate, purpose-built models you should be able to get them both to look good. Plus, you won't be rendering the entire ship when you're sat inside and can't actually see any of it.

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#6]
here it is:

works much better now

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#7]
Still too high poly = ) for such a simple ship that is. Its the mesh smoothing that killed it. The same effect can be gotten by maybe adding a little detail to a very low poly ship and using the smoothing groups.

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#8]
I only know that it is much better now, and don't know were to make poly away

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#9]
With this design it will be hard to remove polies. You have to ask yourself: does it really have to be such a roundish, 70ies shape? It's looking very aerodynamic. Probably this is required when the ship is flying trouh the atmosphere of a planet. Other than that, spaceships could also be non-roundish (doesn't really have to be a 12 Tris Borg cube :o) ).

So, for the next time, think about it in the first place. 3D Games design still has to be a compromise between what's desired and what's possible.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#10]
That's awesome... I'm suprised puki hasn't said anything:)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#11]
I only know that it is much better now, and don't know were to make poly away

It's not much different. You don't know where to take them away? Ok, I drew a quick overlay for you. It's not precise because of the angle, so you couldn't follow it exactly, because the poly's don't align or join up. But I've highlighted areas where you have lots of polys but they're not giving you any detail. As a rule of thumb, only use polys where they're adding detail. Most of your polys are just making things uber-smooth and when things are zipping around in a game, you won't notice most of that.

There's no color code, I just used two colors to avoid two areas merging into one.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#12]
Try triangulating the model then applying the smooth iterations.

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#13]
Thank you gabriel! I'll do them away.
I didn't model a long time you have to know ;)

AJirenius(Posted 2006) [#14]
Hint: If you use 3dSMAX as modellingsoftware there is a function called optimize that lets the program remove unneccesary triangles whenever they don't fill in the special arguments you give it. Eg. If connected polygons don't have an angle above 1 or similar.

Its quite useful!

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#15]
I haven't got 3dsmax :-( Would be really usefull, but it's to expensive!

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#16]
Ready now :-)
Really it must be ok now:

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#17]
there is still alot of wsted tris there, once you triangulate it, you will see.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#18]
I'm still seeing some "buildup" of tris down near the nose.

The actual in-game screenshot posted above shows no decals or anything on that part of the nose

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#19]
It's looking much better, but BoomBoom is right. You have a lot of what appear to be polygons but actually are not. If you triangulate that model again, you'll see them and be able to replace many of them with one or two quads, just like you did with the areas I pointed out.

elcoo(Posted 2006) [#20]
But how can i triangulate that with wing3d?

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#21]
tbh, Its probably easyer to start again and don't smooth it out, than to triangulate and then clean up the model.