WIP - Stormblade Superheavy Tank

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/WIP - Stormblade Superheavy Tank

zzz(Posted 2006) [#1]
EDIT: Made a 3800 tris version more faithful to the original model, pics further down :)

The stormblade tank is a vehicle from the warhammer 40k universe, designed to hunt down and destroy titans (big war machines).

The model is not supposed to be a perfect copy of the original tank, i could'nt find any accurate ref images for it, only image i found is a small front/top photo of a gw model, http://images.google.se/images?q=stormblade&hl=sv&btnG=S%C3%B6k+bilder

Here is the progress so far, id say its 70% done atm.

As i said it is not supposed to be a perfectly accurate model, but feel free to point out anything that you think looks bad or out of place :)

Andres(Posted 2006) [#2]
Impressive. Nothing bad to say.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#3]
Very impressive. What's even more impressive is the fact that you use Blender!

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hey cool - looks like the "real" thing:

zzz(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thanks for the replies.

Added rear lights, a prism socket on the back of the turret and some other things now. Spent maybe 6 hours on this now, suprised it is progressing this fast :p

Not sure what you mean with the blender note mark?, i am a bit tired tho, bed looks tempting :o

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
Woah, that looks cool - hand it over.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#7]
@Puki HA I take it then thats its behond your ability to just rip it from WarHammer 40K Winter Assault

stayne(Posted 2006) [#8]
I think puki has bigger plans than just ripping models. Way bigger plans.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#9]
You think he thinks its a real tank? Cos he normaly lives for ripping graphics. But you are right, a stormblade could probably take westminster

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#10]
Oooo! There's a spare weapons slot under the side turret gun thingy... quick! fill it with something devastating.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#11]
quick! fill it with something devastating

banana cream!

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#12]
Unless the Stormblade and Baneblade are the same thing, there wasn't one in Dawn of War: Winter Assault...

Any plans for this? A WH40K project in blitz perhaps?

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#13]
nice....

Matty(Posted 2006) [#14]
Looks like it chews up a few polygons, especially the track mechanism - how many is the entire model and how many are the tracks alone?

Looks very good though.

zzz(Posted 2006) [#15]
Since the tank design is the ip of a rather big company, i dont really think its a good idea to use it in anything other then practice.

Half the reason for making this was to test how blender performs on this machine with larger polycounts. So far it is still running smooth, only delay so far occurs when switching between render modes, and its still small, around half a second. Im using a amd 1.6ghz, 512mb ram, gf4 card box.

The tank is around 34k tris now, with the tracks/wheels making up around half of that figure.

North(Posted 2006) [#16]
Yup nice modeling.
If you intend to use it in a realtime app reduce the polycount where not so much detail is nescessary (tracks, little gadgets, etc.)

And i want to see some textures! :)

zzz(Posted 2006) [#17]
Ill start with a low poly one from scratch when i am done with this instead, have a few ideas on how to streamline the mesh flow better and all that stuff.

Could try and make some nice render of this one with some scenery when i feel like wasting more time, but that wont be anytime soon, i think :)

Jsoren(Posted 2006) [#18]
very nice looking! lotsa detail! just one question...when u putting the imperial guardsman sticking his head out the hatch with a pintle mounted heavy bolter? :p

[offtopic] funny, ive never seen rules for one of these in the 40k rule book or codex.. [/offtopic]

H&K(Posted 2006) [#19]
@ Jsoren
Stormblade - A 'counterfeit' variant design of the Shadowsword (BaneBlade Variant) developed on Ryza at first. Many Forge Worlds which cannot access to the original Shadowsword STC data produce variants mounting other Titan-sized weaponry (ex. turbo-lasers, massive battle cannons and etc.) instead of a Volcano cannon to fulfill the same 'Titan-hunter' role. In the case of the Stormblade, it mounts a 'Plasma Blastgun' as its primary weapon. Lacking the firepower and the sophisticated targeting equipment of the Shadowsword, the Stormblade has closer combat range than the Shadowsword.

@OrcSlayer
So no. Sorry for implying they were the same, there is a "BaneBlade" but its also a class name for any of, the Shadowsword, Stormsword, Stormblade and Stormhammer.
When you say I have a "BaneBlade" you can often mean you have one of these four, (or other veriant),

zzz(Posted 2006) [#20]
JSoren: The rules for these are written in a separate codex. I used to have it somewhere, not sure where it is now :s

I found more detailed pictures of this and the other superheavy tanks at forgeworld, the site is a gold mine if you want to get inspiration for things like this :)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/SUPER_HEAVY_TANKS.html
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/stormblade.htm

I am going to try and make a more game-friendly model of this tank now, lets see what 5k tris can do :p

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#21]
Hey this looks great, good work :p

zzz(Posted 2006) [#22]

This low-res model will land just under 4000 tris, except for some rougher parts, it will almost have every detail the other tank have :O

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#23]
I see...I'm not to keen on all the little details of WH40K, I just love Dawn of War and both expansions...

zzz(Posted 2006) [#24]
Done with the low-res model now, it weights in at 3858 tris. This time i have tried to keep it accurate to the original model, so if i missed something, point it out, otherwise, CC on modelling in general are welcome.

The texturing part will be interesting, not used at unwrapping/making textures at all :$