Troll Rig

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Troll Rig

stayne(Posted 2006) [#1]
A quick vid of one of the mobs from a game I'm working on. Rigged/animated in max. Just a quick animation test. A few minutes after I finished the animation I discovered that the .B3D pipeline doesn't support physique... only skin. Boo. Rigging Army Knife can convert Biped to Bones and Physique to Skin, but the results after being ran through the pipeline are less than desireable.

www.strafed.net/stuff/trollattack.wmv

markcw(Posted 2006) [#2]
this rockz! you should have done a view from the front too, i'm left wondering about whether the troll has any facial expressions.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks! I have to convert him over to bones/skin, re-rig him and restart the animation work.

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#4]
Looks ok. You should probably use a 'plant' key for the feet, to avoid the sliding.

puki(Posted 2006) [#5]
I suggest you hand this troll over to me - plus any other animated fantasy RPG models you have.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#6]
Puki, how about instead you take over coding this prototyping engine so I can concentrate on other things? :)

fredborg, thanks. I would have planted his feet but when I discovered the pipeline thing I didn't go any further. I have at least 10 - 15 animations to do with this thing.

puki(Posted 2006) [#7]
Prototyping engine? Sounds technical - I like the sound of that - right, email me everything and I'll get straight on it.

I'll proceed to prototype them into my game.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#8]
I suggest you hand this troll over to me - plus any other animated fantasy RPG models you have.

careful, he wants to get his hands on your troll's surfaces :P

stayne(Posted 2006) [#9]
My troll will not be subjected to running around amongst ripped Oblivion props, one-handed zombies in ripped jeans and an axe-weilding dwarf that has ran across more ill-fated Blitz terrains than times I've typed the word "If".

zzz(Posted 2006) [#10]
Looks good. Agree with the other mark, want to see that from the front :o

This reminds me that i should practice animation instead of making armoured cans all the time :p

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#11]
My troll will not be subjected to running around amongst ripped Oblivion props, one-handed zombies in ripped jeans and an axe-weilding dwarf that has ran across more ill-fated Blitz terrains than times I've typed the word "If".

I think thats gotta be my favorite blitz quote ever LOL

Matty(Posted 2006) [#12]
Looks okay, texturing willl have the biggest impact I'd imagine as from the side it doesn't look too different to a basic humanoid model. Need to see the face.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#13]
I agree with matty fully.

Darn it thats good! I love Oblivion and am always mad when I see those awesome building or scenery objects in some low-class game.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#14]
@Fuller: I wouldn't call Puki's work a low class game...especially since there never seems to be an actual 'game' that comes from what he's doing. In fact, what is he doing?

I always just see him on here trying to scarf up everyone elses models/textures/code/anything...

stayne(Posted 2006) [#15]
I bet puki is cuddly.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#16]
I beleave (if your using biped) that, if you export your model out in fbx format, and reimport it, it will convert the biped rig into bones (and keep all the animation etc)

(tu) sinu(Posted 2006) [#17]
@markd, you should be able to download a physique to skin convertor for max, we use one for max6 when using .b3d.
Works a treat.

puki(Posted 2006) [#18]
Mmm, I've been checking my email daily, but no troll there - I'll double check the spam folder - probably best just email it again (plus anything similar)

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#19]
Just a tip - add a bit of swing to the arm when its coming down after the hit, kinda like gravity and inertia. Also, make him "put his back into it", ie. move the upperbody too - enhancing the strength of the punch.
Else, cool stuff :)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#20]
Agree with ashmantle. It looks as if most the movement is being down from the upper body. When you punch someone, the power comes from the hips and legs. The foot should come off the ground slightly, leaving just the toes touching the ground.

Looks good though :o)