Low poly male model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Low poly male model

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#1]
i always seam to get some trouble with arms deforming well around the shoulder when animating. im using vertex weights but has anyone got any tips on aranging the polys round the shoulder for a clean deform?

my latest low poly model im working on.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#2]

update. hands next! 786 ploys so far

Sanctus(Posted 2006) [#3]
preety week for 786 polys...
But its not really bad... I'd rank it 5-6/10
Is it your first male?(acording to wath you said its not)
Oh about the shoulders...
Put a bit more vertexes there and if you use max make the bones bigger there so that when you add the skin modifier it will deform almos perfect without having to work hard.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#4]
the template im working from is for a bit of a small bloke hes ment to be light and quick. im using cinema 4d and pacemaker to animate.

5-6/10 fair enough, but I didnt think it was that that bad.

Its not my first model of a man, but i have been modeling transformers for the last 8 months and ive got a little rusty at humans

Pete

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#5]
That not bad at all especially considering the low poly count.
Vertex weighting around the shoulders can help but it depends on now many "rings" of vertices you've got. From your poly count I doubt you've got enough.
Normally putting an extra "ring" around the joints allows you to distribute the weight.
Another way, and without increasing the polycount, is to not assign any vertices actually at the shoulder to the shoulder joint - but assign then to a joint in the thorax. The only vertices that are assigned to the shoulder joint would be those lower down the arm and at the elbow etc. The vertices around the shoulder then never deform. Think of it like a sleeveless T shirt. That should all be assigned to a joint(s) in the upper body.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#6]
thank Ricky ive got to reinstall pacemaker on my new machine so ill have to give you email if my reg code for pacemaker doent work, ill give your suggestions a try. ive got to say that pacemaker makes this stuff a joy.

Pete

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#7]

this is not my texture map i think it was from a torque media pack i got ages ago, anyway im just poping it on my model to see what the model looks like before i finish my texture. i think i will bulk him up a bit, he is ment to be thin but ive taken it a bit far i think.

oh and ive got to do the hands yet ;O)

Pete

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#8]
heres where some of the polys went, he needs to speak so i had to give him a working mouth and some teeth.

puki(Posted 2006) [#9]
Oooh, looks like a steady supply of characters coming my way. When finished he's probably worth $20.00.

Not sure about the clothing for a fantasy/RPG - but you can make him a new skin - maybe make 5 or 6, then you can bundle them with him and make a hefty $50.00. Make another character, bundle a few skins and hey-ho-sausage, another $50,00 - not per model, but per sale - make 5 of them then it is $250.00 per sale - if just 10 people buy them then that's a cool $2,500.

Sell, sell, sell.

Andres(Posted 2006) [#10]
How much would that be worth?

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#11]
ive started a new model only got the face so far

ears not right yet, plus he looks a bit old for the original series. and no blue eye shadow :O)

puki(Posted 2006) [#12]
Wow, that is really good.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#13]
its look like Spock :)

puki(Posted 2006) [#14]
I suggested he model the original crew of Star Trek and sell them as a pack.

Unfortunatley, a load of posts in this thread were deleted last night.

I found a home for them - this version is untextured and incomplete.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#15]
kirks a bit harder, odd face ;OP

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#16]
what the polycount on that bridge model Puki?

Physt(Posted 2006) [#17]
Drooling over bridge model!!!!

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#18]
im getting there

puki(Posted 2006) [#19]
Oooh, here I am - I just got back.

The version of the bridge model I have pictured is 146,201 vertices - 278,231 faces - 152 materials - 173 objects.

I am eyeing up 3 or 4 of the top Star Trek modellers to approach for a final version. The one pictured above is a good 'stock' model.

I'd assume I might be looking at having to spend circa $500.00+ on the final bridge and would not be surprised if I am asked to pay in the region of $2,000. I am utterly serious when I say some of these guys have produced photo-realistic bridges (ie accurate, detailed, models with bloody high quality textures).

I've hooked up the panel buttons and lights, got them all working.

"Kirk" is coming along there - I see what you mean about the face - not quite right - the reason is his face is not as narrow - it is fatter from ear to ear - more rounded.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#20]
ive got it sorted now ill post a pic soon. the problem was really his chin, i made it to square making his head look long once i added the ears and narrowed then chin my model looks just like the photo i have from the first season of TOS. 278,231 faces thats a lot, what is this project you doing? if its a game your polycount including the crew will be very high. still it will look really nice. ive seen a bridge model somewhere that was done from the tecnical manuals and had all the panels in a magazine. ill try and find some details.

Pete

puki(Posted 2006) [#21]
Well, my game is an old one from the Amiga that I literally, all of a sudden, decided to remake on the PC.

The main basis behind my Amiga game was the speech - I recorded every episode of TOS then took the speech and broke it down - thousands of files, that when combined produced a living, breathing, Enterprise where the crew would sit there talking.

What I found was you could make them say things they never said and also say things out of context of the original - you could actually give them moods and make them argue.

In the end I spent less time to making a game and more time just getting them talking more - it wasn't that hard to do - it just takes a lot of time and faffing about.

My Amiga game only had 2D graphics - albeit nice scanned pictures.

I'd like to bring it up-to-date.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#22]
sounds cool, i loved my amiga. :O(

sounds like its a good thing they added texture compression support other wise you would have to cut down on textures. i would have thought you could get the polycount down on that bridge without losing any detail . theres some detail there that can be faked with textures and you would never see the difference. 152 materials is mad. i wont be able to do anything on my models today. but i will spend the day tommorow making the body for the male model.

Pete

puki(Posted 2006) [#23]
Yep. The guy that did the above bridge has done more of them since - the one above is about 5 years old. I'm using it for testing.

I'm not over-worried about polycounts.

I've got my eye on this one too:

Obviously, it is a render - but with quality texturing it will look just as great.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#24]
nice!!

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#25]
Hahaaaa, fantabulous :D Great work fellas

puki(Posted 2006) [#26]
Here is an example of mixing the sound:

"Sulu" getting gay on "Kirk":

http://media.putfile.com/sulu-and-kirk

"Spock" and "Uhura":

http://media.putfile.com/spock-and-uhura

Tom(Posted 2006) [#27]
Pete: For the shoulders, consider all the extremes that the arms will be rotated to, and set the rest pose as the average of those extremes.

The idea being, when animated to each extreme, there will be the least amount of deformation in the shoulder.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#28]
Tom: i understand what your saying. what pose do you use?

Puki: very call sound files, you must be able to make them say almost anything.

still working on my models, show you soon.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#29]
nice lowpoly male model. Tho, looks like he's naked. Clothes would have an other shape, unless it's a diving suite.

While I highly respect such a low polycount for such a well proportionized model, I have to say for bones based animation you should add some triangles to allow for realistic joint deformation. The problem zones usually are located around the knees, ellbows, basily all skeleton joints.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#30]
There are a couple of things you can do to minimize the deformation in the shoulders.

First, you can already have the arms out-stretched in the "Jesus" pose.

Second, you can assign those shoulder vertices between the shoulder and the chest bones (with probably a good bit more weight on the chest) to minimize the amount of stretching while rotating the joint.

Third, play around with the placement of the joint to get a good pivot point that won't deform the arm into a position that causes the assigned shoulder vertices to shear up or down too much.

Hope that helps.

Lookin' good :D

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#31]
looks like he's naked. Clothes would have an other shape

the reference i was working from had no clothes on. i find it easyer to model the character like this, then bulk out for the clothes afterwards, unless the clothes are technical like a long jacket etc.