Male head model (WIP)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Male head model (WIP)

zzz(Posted 2006) [#1]
Decided to pick up where i left on human modelling, trying to get a grip on heads now.

Started with this head a few hours ago, pretty happy with how it is turning out, but i think it is a bit high poly for games. ( around 600, with no ears obviously ).

Want CC on it :) (changed to new pic)

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#2]
Nice. The area around the mouth could do with a bit of work; the profile view indicates that the jaw and lips jut forward too much, - resulting in a flat, pouty expression. If I were you, I would push them back and taper the line a little bit. I'd also tweak the shape of the nose, if I were you.

Here's a quick and rough manipulation of the profile image you provided to be explain what I mean:

Can you see how such minor changes might give your model a more natural appearance?

EDIT: If you do decide to modify your model in this way, then I would also suggest that you 'round' the chin more than in my example if you want him to appear a little more manly and heroic.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#3]
And here's a somewhat stylised head that I'm working on at the moment. It's not perfect, but it might give you some ideas.

Just don't copy it too much. Unless, of course, you want your character to look like a young Peter Cushing (a deceased British actor, mostly known for playing Frankenstein and Van Helsing in old horror movies, and also Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars). :p

zzz(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks for pointing that out :) Had some trouble finding good references for the the side view of the head on google.

The type of look i am after is a quite harsh face, maybe a little stereotyped towards more a classic heroic face. ( im doing this with a rpg in mind )

It is still supposed to a realistic face tho, will be hard to balance properly :9

new pic:

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#5]
Here's a site with some very good references for modeling humans:

http://www.3d.sk

Specifically aimed at game & 3D artists, they have countless anatomical references from all kinds of different angles. search by different ages, bodie types, race, skeletons, faces. Clothed, nude, even holding various kinds of weaponry and such. Subscription service, but they also have a good amount of free samples available.

From midgets to 400 lbs, and everything in between.

zzz(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks for the tip xlsior :)

Started over today, personally i think this one is much better.

Need to add another line to the nose, its too pointy. If i do the texture properly, can i get away with those ears, or should i add some more details to them?

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#7]
Nice looking head with a good topology, keep it up.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#8]
Hmm, seems like something that you could design a great NPC model with that for an FPS or a 3D RPG. Maybe you could grab some advice from some professional 3D modellers from a company like Epic Games or id Software perhaps? They may have some blogs on their sites, or from someone else for that matter.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#9]
PsyCraft: the ears are fine, the texture can do the rest.
second head looking good.

I just started a low poly model of a man. i need the practice.