Tree packs

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Tree packs

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#1]
Ive made a small tree "generator" (wip) and with it created a few tree packs. You can view a 3D preview of them here

Http://www.empowergames.com/wildorchard_prev.exe
http://www.empowergames.com/dead_treepak.exe

Ill be making more as i make progress on the tree generator

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#2]
RifRaf,

I have a feature request.

Please make the trees move and the branches move. In this day and age we need access to dynamic environmental objects.

I asked Sabata about this a long while ago and it never emerged. Games look 'dead' with no extra movement in them.

From what I can see so far these are looking very nice indeed. Good work.

IPete2.

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#3]
Well im not making a "tree system" like blitztree, just making a tree generator. much like tree[d].

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#4]
oh okay - perhaps by passing them trhough pacemaker we can make em move -

IPete2.

puki(Posted 2006) [#5]
Interesting - I have BlitzTree3D though.

However, I always applaude those producing 3D media.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#6]
Ahh, looks like some game hunting game of sorts, like a Cabela or a Field and Stream.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#7]
Downloading straight .exe's just scares me personally....

Looks pretty nice! (i got brave... :p)

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#8]
Rif, I notice you've now added movement, but with all due respect I think you should get out and look how real trees blow in the wind - yours look as if they are swaying underwater.

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#9]
John,

I dont think you get it. Im not making an animated tree system with this, but a random tree generator that makes models. the movement is just for the preview, its nothing special to be sure and its not intended to be.

I already mentioned this once, maybe reading a little more of the topic would have prevented your confusion. Also, i didnt "now add" it, its always had that movement in the preview.

im not making a "tree system" like blitztree, just making a tree generator. much like tree[d].

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
what's the average polycount of such a tree? Is it using alpha with the common Z-order Problems ? Are masked leafs possible?

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#11]
You can see zorder effects in the preview. Its not bad, no special z handling code used just typical blitz behavior, you can use masked, but I think looks terrible in blitz. I avoid masked on trees/grass when i can.

polycount in the above packs are from 100 - 350 depending on the tree , it can go as low as 25 polies for a tree, but it will look like a 25 poly tree :)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#12]
This is REALLY nice. Trees are hard to get looking natural since they arn't like fractals. I found that I could use a sort of chaotic fractal that had some random mutations to get good effects. What is your algorithem? I have always wanted to do a 3D one but the math is VERY involved.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#13]
masking is ok with blitz as long as you change the maskcolor from 0,0,0 to something useful. codes are in codearchive. i use them alot, to avoid all those bloody z-order problems...

CodeOrc(Posted 2007) [#14]
I get a "memory access violation when I dl'd the first exe and ran it.

y?

RifRaf(Posted 2007) [#15]
Who knows, I posted those demos a year ago, im shocked they are still on my server. :) I would repost but the demos are long gone from my HD. I still have the model packs however.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#16]
BTW, since this thread came up - what's with this myth that says you can use a double-layered mesh and apply alpha to one layer and mask to the other one. The mask may be fully transparent, but still forces the correct Z-order of the entire alpha layer? Is there anybody who can confirm this?

Wings(Posted 2007) [#17]
"memory access violation"
but only in vista.

In Windows xp it works.

(I have dual boot system)

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#18]
I get an MAV in XP.