My first decent starship?

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My first decent starship?

fishy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hey thought i would show my first starship i've modelled and textured myself that is at least half decent ;) definatly could use more detail, but is for strategy game so isn't always viewed close up and want to be able to support quite a few ship at once.

Added this after changing the brightness and contrast slightly.

skn3(Posted 2006) [#2]
It looks good. I can say that I prefer the ship in the first picture. They are the same ship n texture, obviously, but the lighting on the first one changes the colors. It looks much better with the black color scheme (even if unintentional)

degac(Posted 2006) [#3]
I like it

zyd(Posted 2006) [#4]
Is it not a tad too shiney?
may be the lighting...apart from that looks good for a first effot

big10p(Posted 2006) [#5]
Tis pretty good, but too much like a submarine for my liking, though. :)

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hehe, yeah, not like any Star Wars-based spaceship I've seen in the past, but it does look quite like something that Red Ocktober would do for his games, like big10p was mentioning. Was this going to be some sort of StarCraft-style game of any sort?

PGF(Posted 2006) [#7]
What is the purpose and technology of your ship ?

Looks sort of military but I don't see any external weapon or sensor details. Windows ? They give scale but kind of doubtful on a military space ship. They'd use sensors and maximise shielding. Is that the bridge sticking up ? Surely you'd bury the control centre in the well protected heart of the ship rather than stick it out. What, they need to look out the windows to see what is ahead ?

The streamlined shape makes it look like a trans-atmospheric craft but with all the engine power apparently at the back how could it work in atmosphere ?

Are those landing pads on the front and rear decks ? What for ?

The orientation of decks suggested by the bridge and windows is different to the direction of acceleration. This implies an anti-gravity or artificial gravity technology. Fair enough if that is carried through the story.

Despite the above comments I like the compact shape and overall texture. Definitely headed in the right direction. If there is any depth in the story you just need to make it all sensible and consistent.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#8]
it looks like a sub, hopefully red wont see it ;OP

it looks good though! how much of the game have you done?

Is that the bridge sticking up ? Surely you'd bury the control centre in the well protected heart of the ship rather than stick it out.

most sci fi space ships have the bridge in a very open part of the ship, eg star destroyers from starwars or the enterprise from star trek, next you will be saying theres no sound in space you should have no sound in your game.

but i do agree you should think about how the ship flys and what it used for to make it as beleavable as possible. make it so the player knows for sure what it is as soon as they see it, if its a battle ship give it a armoured look with guns, if its a cargo ship put big storage bays on the bottom.

Pete

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#9]
Looks a bit like taken from Starship Troopers.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#10]
Its not bad but it looks like you were bored by the time you got to doing the back. Its too square.

fishy(Posted 2006) [#11]
Lol yeah probably did skimp a bit on the rear, i was probably making this a scout ship with basic weapons, those decks on top are where the turrets get mounted. i'm making a turn based 4x game with realtime combat so i need a lot of ships and this was going to be one of the early tech ships.

thanks for the comments, i try to keep practicality in mind when designing but i can't think of enough details to put on it if everything has to be practical.

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#12]
Its better than I could do. I don't really like the engine in the last one, looks way too squared. But all in all, pretty decent!

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#13]
The more contrasty textures of the bottom shots is much more interesting than the washed out texture of the second shot. And presumably the first shot, although you can't see the texture with that lighting.

Don't stress about logic, PGF is being a pedant. This is for entertainment, not military schematics. Like Pete said, if you're going to get that anal about details you also shouldn't have any sound in the game.

As for people saying it looks too nautical, well yes it does. Why is that a problem? Most sci-fi I've read has large starship fleets being Navy. Come to think of it, your ship reminds me of the SDF-1 from Robotech. Right down to the square thrusters, as well as...

Are those landing pads on the front and rear decks ? What for ?

For launching small fighter craft stored in the larger ship. duh

cloned(Posted 2006) [#14]
looks good but what is it for?

is it civliain or military because it looks like a cruise liner more than a warship

also where are the weapons, even well hid phaser banks can be spotted from just looking at a ship long enough

what looks like the bridge at the top could be moved to the back a little or shorten the neck to make it look better and the front slit looks like a fighter bay of some kind

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#15]
looking good - though if you want my advice - get rid
of the shiny material settings..shiny objects ruin the the
effect of the texture mapping. I tried using it in my own
space project..never looks right..but you have the right
lighting in your scene, high contrast.

Nexus6(Posted 2006) [#16]
Fishy, how did you make just the windows texture show when the ship is in shadow?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#17]
Fishy, how did you make just the windows texture show when the ship is in shadow?

Probably with the FullBright EntityFX flag.

Nexus6(Posted 2006) [#18]
Thx Gab