Pebblestone texture...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Pebblestone texture...

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#1]
I was just experimenting with a little bit of a background sample, and thought about doing a Zen background of sorts. To make a Zen wallpaper, I thought of doing a pebblestone texture. Here's what I came up with, a 32x32 square of a stone floor, how does this look?

All it needs are some plants, or moss, then we got the full effect of this garden in progress. :D Question is, tho, how can this be made less flaky?

big10p(Posted 2006) [#2]
Flaky? Not sure I know what you mean. What did you draw it with?

It looks like it's using some kind of dithering effect which you could probably do away with. Use clean colour gradients, instead.

It also doesn't look like it'll tile properly.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#3]
Well, maybe I'll try putting it together in a 640x480 area. I have changed it around, using some built-in effects from Paint Shop Pro X, known as "Tiles." Seems like it makes it look more like a stone floor to me. Let's see how well it lines up:

Lucky enough I did the texture effects AFTER tiling the image to give it that stone floor look. Those look like the right colors for a Zen garden to me. Should go well with a shruiken tossing game, if you ask me.

EDIT: Well, now that I eroded the edges, it should be a bit easier on the eyes when you toss that silvery spinning star across the screen.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#4]
I love Paint Shop Pro!

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#5]
Painter has a good built in texture "tubes" that make good cobblestone.

Though, Nice work,RAM. tiles well

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#6]
Yeah, now a few borders made of wood'll add to that a bit, which'll make a true Zen garden-style background.