.22 Pistols

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/.22 Pistols

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here a shot of some pistols I'll be selling soon. Maybe it'll help those of you who are making a FPS or modern game. I'll post a link to a paypal page when I get back from my honeymoon. It'll probably be around $5, savvy?

skn3(Posted 2006) [#2]
Looks alright. A bit low poly count to use as the interface weapon.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looks pretty good to me - maybe put a small bevel on some of the harsh edges?

puki(Posted 2006) [#4]
Nice stuff.

Chad(Posted 2006) [#5]
Ooo lala.. guns and a honeymoon.. Mr. and Mrs. Smith anyone?? Looks good, do you create your own textures?

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#6]
That is a seriously big barrel for a .22...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#7]
It's definitifely a sig P220, 225, 226 or 228. Maybe that's why he said .22. .22 usually stands for .22 Long rifle, a small caliber, where the sig pistols are in 9mm, sometimes 45 or 40SW.

Tyler, well done, please excuse me for the following: I have already modelled a SIG P220 some time ago and released it for free. And even then the feedback was marginal:

http://www.melog.ch/models/p220sescreen.jpg?
( http://www.melog.ch/models/SIGp220_se.zip )

here in action : http://www.melog.ch/dropper/v60/screens/screenie5.jpg?

I have to confess, I like your model more than mine. The slide is modelled more realisticly. At the other hand, you have mirrored the left side from the right side, where the left side would hold several switches, like the socalled "decocking lever". And I also like my texture more than yours, but feel free to reuse mine.
Considering the grip of yours I'd say it's a P226.

Next time try something diffrent :) I think there's still need for glocks, berettas etc.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks for the advice and comments everyone! jfk ... wow, very very cool. I'll scratch the selling idea, maybe just use it for one of my own games. As for the texture, it was a severely edited picture. I actually have no clue about guns or names, but the .22 search on google yielded those results. Thanks again, everyone, and maybe I'll be more lucky on my choice next time, lol.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#9]
Well you surely can try to sell it. Maybe you should become member of some sort of designer community, like www.turbosquid.com or something similar.

Personally I enjoy to model things and also to share them with other indy games producers. It's good for the atmosphere.

BTW. I've just made a glock, you have kind of inspired me, thanks :).

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#10]
I saw :D Pimpin' glock as well. How are you setting up the trigger and round chamber on them? Separate pieces that can be pulled back/animated? Thanks jfk

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#11]
Well in fact there's no real chamber with the barrel. The barrel is only a cylinder. What looks like a side of the chamber is in fact only a boolen subtracted part in the slide. It's always a little "fiddly" until the texture fits the geometry (or the opposite) with this chamber detail.

Several seperate parts are there, grip, lower frame, slide, sight, trigger, trigger savety etc. Then I used to link them hierarchicly. So the sight will move with the slide and so on. The pivot of things like the trigger must be positioned at their wanted axis poistion, of course. (Although I think for animation it will look good enough if you only pull the slide - the high speed will disguise incorrect details like the still closed round ejector etc.)

However, it's most important not to collapse slide and frame to a singe mesh. This would make it impossible to animate it.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#12]
:) Thanks! My gun crafting skill went up a few points.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#13]
I've been watching your gun again and I must correct myself. Maybe there's a pretty good chance to sell it since it's really well done. On ly the texture needs some work: higher contrast, less monochromatic look (note these pistols slides and barrels/chambers are not black, but dark brown, due to the "phosphorisation" of the surface (or something)). Try to get some degree of photorealistic look, by using photo material. (Im I right the photo you used was a BW photo?)

There must be hundreds of photos of SIG 226 pistols in the web. EG this: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg09-e.htm
(I like this one since it looks very used)

BTW your's is an older model, the new grips a're looking diffrent (square sig arms logo) and they have a weaver rail under the muzzle.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#14]
Nice stuff Tyler...I'm shooting you an email.