Game art for someone (WIP)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Game art for someone (WIP)

skn3(Posted 2006) [#1]

I am creating this artwork for someone, for their game. What do you think so far ?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
That's looking good. Maybe the font should be a little more special.

DH(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yeah, looks good!

skn3(Posted 2006) [#4]

Done the rack + tiles in 3d, and also modified teh bin itself.

I think it will turn out nicer if I render everything in 3d.

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#5]
Its looking great so far, very clean and professional. nice work.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#6]
Scrabble?

skn3(Posted 2006) [#7]
Got it in one :)

Physt(Posted 2006) [#8]
Nice style.

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#9]
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG JON LET ME PLAY!

*ahem* looking fantastic,
Can't wait to see the whole thing in action... *nudge* *nudge* ;)

Murilo(Posted 2006) [#10]
I love Scrabble. I wrote a version in Blitz+ a while back. It featured local and network games and a complete SOWPODS dictionary. I was giving it away for free but I was asked to remove it from my site by Hasbro. They do not take kindly to third party versions of their game it would seem...

big10p(Posted 2006) [#11]
That's a shame Bobby Ball, although, you can hardly blame them for protecting their IP. :)

Murilo(Posted 2006) [#12]
Absolutely. I completely understand their position and I removed it immediately. We still play it within my family, so I'm happy enough.

JoeGr(Posted 2006) [#13]
I agree with Weetbix, it looks pretty slick. It certainly looks much better than the hideous (though playable) Gameboy Advance Scrabble which I pick up from time to time.

Two small things which you might consider are that 1) the tiles don't look like they are resting on the rack (make the back more upright maybe?) and 2) with the waste bin occupying the same space as the rack, the scale difference looks a bit odd - it might be better just to leave a gap between the rack and the bin.

skn3(Posted 2006) [#14]
Jim, lol apparently I wasn't meant to show anyone LOL. Shhhhh dont tell simon. HAHAHA

Thanks for the feedback joe. Well I agree with the tile situation. The original 3d version was rendered as one, and the tiles had a subtle shadow. It's really not upto me for this one as the person I am creating the art has some restrictions in his program design. If it were upto me i would have used a unique tile for each of the tiles on the rack. Each with its own shadow. There was a version I did with the uniform tile, with shadow.. but it didn't look quite right.

As for the bin scale. I'll put it to the person. See what they think. Often you don't notice somethign until someone poitns it out. So Thanks.

Im not sure about hasbro's copyright on the game idea, but he assures me that certain aspects are copyrighted but not the actual game idea. So like the board layout, design. Certain terminoligy and such. So I have been instructed to not infringe on this.

Yahoo get away with it so...

JoeGr(Posted 2006) [#15]
It wasn't so much the tiles not having a shadow, but the fact that the rack looks like its sloping away. Looking at it again I guess the rack is supposed to be getting narrower towards the top, but I originally read the narrowing as perspective, ie a rectangle sloping away rather than a trapezium (?) parallel with the tiles. Hope that makes sense.

skn3(Posted 2006) [#16]
Some more shots

the render I was talking about, shows the shadow. The tiles look more "in place".

hi res ultra shiney render of the player icon

just a very rough / crappy mockup of the general layout.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#17]
your 'crappy' mock-up looks damn fine too me!

Physt(Posted 2006) [#18]
Agreed. That looks sweet.

skn3(Posted 2006) [#19]
Thanks!

cloned(Posted 2006) [#20]
those are really nice, i may employ you to do some of my graphics in my games

i like to go with a SNES retro graphics feeling for any 2D games i make so they should not be hard at all for you. i am not the best at graphics, as long your prices are fair you should have a returning customer from me

skn3(Posted 2006) [#21]

Update :)

skn3(Posted 2006) [#22]
Link, well awesome. just contact me if you need any done.

SopiSoft(Posted 2006) [#23]
Good looking artwork!