Tank model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Tank model

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is a tank model I'm currently working on for my tank game. I started with no reference then I started slightly basing it on a js2.

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#2]
Good start, but too early imo to really give good feedback.

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks regular k

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#4]
update:

skn3(Posted 2006) [#5]
Looks nice. What is the triangle count ?

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#6]
About 20k

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#7]
I've always wanted to make a tank game :'(

Wow, you work pretty fast :P

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#8]
@regular k

Bad sleep patern (its the hollidays) Must have been up for about 30 hours now

puki(Posted 2006) [#9]
That's pretty good "Weetbix" - what kind of dinosaur is it?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#10]
verrrry niiice mobile field artillery piece you've got there general...

... how do you plan to employ this bad boy?

also, what modeller do you use??

--Mike

puki(Posted 2006) [#11]
I think it is both the best and the most ferocious-looking dinosaur I have ever seen.

A good game idea would be to have it fighting tanks. Yeh, you probably need to make or get hold of some tank models and then your dinosaur can fight the tanks - and vice-versa.

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#12]
Lmao puki, thanks :D

Thanks red ocktober, ill be using it in my tank game which you can see in my sig.

I use lightwave to model then i export to OBJ , then import in 3dsmax then export to .b3d

skn3(Posted 2006) [#13]
20k I imagine you are rendering your in-game units then ?

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2006) [#14]
Looks really nice.

Just curious, what's the standard triangle count range of a "low poly" object? I imagine 20k falls into the 'high count' range?

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#15]
@skn3 :
Nope :P thats the ingame model, I'm making this game for myself really, So I'm not looking for compatiblilty on other peoples computers. If I was going to be rendering the units id have done the detail inside the treads ;).

I could of course, reduce the detail in the wheels on the treads, but this really is just for me.

Edit: ha , iv just checked out the model again, and the wheels on the treads take up 10k polys, I think ill reduce it eventually anyway, even if it is for personal use. Its just unpractical for the wheels to take up that many polys.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#16]

I use lightwave to model then i export to OBJ , then import in 3dsmax then export to .b3d

Nooooooo - use Lee's LW-2-B3D Converter! It can read LWO's directly and even handles boned / skinned models. And it has a viewer and support for applying lightmaps / reflections inside the LW.

http://www.terabit.nildram.co.uk/lwconvert.zip

Be sure to read the docs, and especially triple the quads before converting (I often forget that).

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#17]
Thanks alot mustang, yeah I have used that before, but I think I prefere exporting to .obj and importing in max, Mainly because of the pipeline.

tsmpaul(Posted 2006) [#18]
Lighting/Shading on those renders is great - looks like a photo of a miniature!

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#19]
at 20k polys im guessing you modelled each link of the track.

puki(Posted 2006) [#20]
I assume it is a triceratops?

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#21]
at 20k polys im guessing you modelled each link of the track.

No i was just completely stupid and modeled the wheels with high detail :( ill reduce them later.

cloned(Posted 2006) [#22]
nice tank so far, i would spend some extra time of the little details such as scratchs, fading paing, etc.

it adds the tank feeling.

also might i recommend you making a Soviet T-54 in your game, look on wikipedia and you will find it along with many othero nes

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#23]
thanks link , I'll definatly check it out.

Chad(Posted 2006) [#24]
Hey Weetbix.. been following this and it's been 2 days and no updates :-( Hope your still working on this, I like tank blow em' ups!

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#25]
@chad

Thanks man, I apreciate it.

;) School has just started again, I have 2 weeks of maths homework to do or Mr. Wieman will break my legs.

I also started on a little helicopter game. But I think I'll keep working on the tank game for a while, its likely to be a long term project. Before I go any futher I want to do some work on AI probobly in 2D aswell. But knowing that I cant really keep a scedule, I'll probobly be UV mapping this tank soon :D