Say hello to the horse

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Say hello to the horse

puki(Posted 2006) [#1]

puki(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hello.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hello purple horse.

puki(Posted 2006) [#4]
Actually, he does seem to have purple tinges.

Still, nothing to do with me - I found him in my Oblivion directory.

The BasilStudio characters have 2 horse riding animations - so I thought, 'what the hell', and plonked one on his back.

I might stick one on a sheep too.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#5]
hey puki what format are oblivion meshes? how can you import them in blitz? I'm guessing directX?

Panno(Posted 2006) [#6]
hi horse !

HI Panno .

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
This doesn't belong in here... Maybe if you has designed, modelled, or textured anything in that screenshot, it might.

:P

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#8]
If you end up making a full DX7 Oblivion looking thing, I bet it will look and run 30 times better than it does on my computer :P
(That game's graphics engine is so screwed up!)

GfK(Posted 2006) [#9]
Showcase is for stuff you'd made yourself - not for stuff you've pilfered out of commercial games.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#10]

I might stick one on a sheep too.

Allrighty - now you're getting bit too kinky for my taste... ;P

Showcase is for stuff you'd made yourself - not for stuff you've pilfered out of commercial games.

Agree.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#11]
Stick someone behind the sheep, not on it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#12]
hello to the horse!

well at least Puki didn't try to make us believe this was his work. Good work puki, you pressed that "export" button nicely ;) Seriously, you have just explored an art path.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#13]
Hey, that looks just like the first horse I stole in Oblivion!

big10p(Posted 2006) [#14]
It is, only this time, Puki's really stolen it.

puki(Posted 2006) [#15]
I think the picture looks great though - I reckon it is getting AAA-looking already.

You can't say it is graphically a pile or rubbish.

That horse is in pieces though - you have to construct him yourself - his head is a separate piece, as is his tail and eyes. I haven't yet put his eyes in.

One of the frustrating things is actually the amount of stuff that I have to do myself - I had to faff about placing that bloke on his back - only to find the horse was too fat. I had to scale the horse - which meant the blokie was out of position - took ages to position him and put the horse's head on.

Cunningly I parented the final result - now my horse can large about and his head and rider stay on.

The horse comes with a bridle thing, so I'll attach that tomorrow.

I've had to do a fair amount of work with the Oblivion geometry though - some of it is hardly ready-to-go.

There are a few gaffs I have spotted that they have made.

I'm making notes, then I can email them with all the faults for them to fix, then I can wait for the patch and then I'll have fixed graphics for me game.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#16]
Puki, are you not picking up how people feel about what you're doing?

Hmmm. In fact, how would Bethesda feel about what you're doing?

puki(Posted 2006) [#17]
Not my problem if a bunch of losers are jealous that it looks good.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#18]
..where is the horse?

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#19]
that guy on the left looks kinda out of place..

Ash_UK(Posted 2006) [#20]
Puki, you are right my friend it certainly does look good :o) but wouldn't you get just a little bit more self satisfaction by posting stuff you have worked hard to produce yourself and having people give you nice comments about it? :o)

Warren(Posted 2006) [#21]
Yeah, I think jfk summed it up. Way to click the "export" button there puki. Good work.

Smurftra(Posted 2006) [#22]
I'm guessing puki will soon post to ask for cracks of blitz-made games.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#23]
I think it's harmless. However, puki I think you're wasting your precious time. Better learn to model such stuff by your own.

puki(Posted 2006) [#24]
I'm guessing puki will soon post to ask for cracks of blitz-made games

Well, if the media is good enough - other than that I've no point using the media. I've approached a few Blitz authors previously to acquire their media. Plus, I have been succesful at this too and another success is forthcoming.

If I find unprotected media then I will lift it. However, there is a difference between someone selling stuff or distributing other people's work with their own game and someone who is just using other people's media in their own project that isn't going to be sold.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#25]
Yeah, but lifting people's media, putting it in a dropper app, and displaying screen shots in the showcase, when it isn't your work. I don't think that's right. But i suppose if i ever model anything and you use it, i'll take that as a compliment :P

maximo(Posted 2006) [#26]
puki why did you not put some weapons in his hands? you bought medieval weapons from tridinaut and you are not even using it and you got right to do it ;)

puki(Posted 2006) [#27]
Yeh, I have them.

However, I have all of Oblivion's weapons too.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#28]
WHAT IS THIS I BE HEARING...

ARE YOU INSIGNIFICANT CONTENT CREATING ANTS DARING TO QUESTION THE MOTIVATIONS OF THE GREAT LORD PUK!!!!

uuuhhh, hey, uhhhhhh, puki... what *IS* the deal...
i know for sure that you can make some of those Oblivion style houses and stuff yourself... what are ya really up to with all this...

... comeon now, you can tell me :)

--Mike

puki(Posted 2006) [#29]
I think it is a good advert for B3D.

A complete novice will probably think it cool that you can make your own Oblivion with B3D.

Any noob is going to think, 'cor - look at that' - better than some of the junk in the gallery.

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#30]
From oblivion forums:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=262788

excerpt: "We certainly don't want anyone using the work we've done on Oblivion in mods for other games, so we have our part when it comes to other games. Please stop using assets from other products for Oblivion mods, and please do not use any assets from Oblivion for projects in other games. "

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#31]
what...

whaaaatttt...

alright, GFK, Maximo... you hold his feet down... Mustang, Ross, Retro... grab his hands...

... i'll get the bat.

:)

--Mike

puki(Posted 2006) [#32]
"retro.hack's" post is regarding the dispute between Bethesda and the modders in relation to allowing them to include media from Morrowind in Oblivion. Also regarding Oblivion modders importing non-Bethesda media (that came out of someone else's game). Likewise they don't want modders using their media in mods for other games.

This is due to the fact that modders generally distribute their mods.

Ash_UK(Posted 2006) [#33]
LMAO @Red ;o) hehehe

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#34]
Warren... cover up his mouth before he says anything else...

gag him if you have to...

--Mike

puki(Posted 2006) [#35]
Anyway, I created this thread so that people could say hello to the horse - as well as to state my graphical dominance over the rest of the community.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#36]
...BAPPP!!! BAPPPP!!!!

gimme the metal bat...

BAAAAPPP!!!

--Mike

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#37]
puki - you're certainly taking the expected stance when faced with Bethesda's wishes, but in an objective view - they mean people like you and projects like this.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#38]
> as well as to state my graphical dominance
> over the rest of the community.

If this game is not gonna be finished then I guess they have nothing to worry about.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#39]
What game?

maximo(Posted 2006) [#40]
Put the Red on the horse and send him away on the wild adventures :P

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#41]
only if you'll follow about 10 feet behind... with a pail and a shovel...

BAAAPPP!!!!

:)

--Mike

Smurftra(Posted 2006) [#42]
"as well as to state my graphical dominance over the rest of the community. "

Not to diss your skills, i havent seen any original work by you so i cant judge that, but i find this part confusing, since you did not create any of the art you showcase

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#43]
>>"better than some of the junk from the gallery"

Well, the Gallery is incredible. Almost every screenshot is very good.

At the other hand your screenshot says nothing about Blitz. Anyone could load some models in blitz or any other 3d engine. Lowpoly or not. We even don't know the framerate. This is no artpiece.

Additionally, the screenie is missing a skybox and some plants. So far it's only a wip shot.

I surely understand you enjoy to have access to a ton of hiq models. But is there any sense in using it?

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#44]
"as well as to state my graphical dominance over the rest of the community. "

The only person you're kidding is yourself.
We've been trying not to say it, but here goes - Puki, this is just plain sad. People are feeling sorry for you.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#45]
You know what? Even though everything in the picture is stolen from a commercial game, it still doesn't look that good.

The only thing this thread will achieve, is putting me off ever buying Oblivion. (which is I guess is why games companies don't ever give you permission to use their models in your own 'creations', but that's another issue).

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#46]
Come on, Puki is a good windup merchant and you're all falling for it :)

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#47]
Enay, that would be _even_ sadder!

Warren(Posted 2006) [#48]
GFK

Bear in mind that Oblivion uses normal maps on the models and bloom/HDR lighting in the game, so the base texture is inherently less detailed than it would normally be in a game. It's unfair to critique the artwork without looking at it how it was untended to be seen.

I'm sure you've seen screenshots of Oblivion. It looks far better than the junk Puki is showing.

puki(Posted 2006) [#49]
You two should get a flat.

Zmatrix(Posted 2006) [#50]
yeah they just dont look that good without all the shaders,
kinda plain.(still nice modeling)
lots of brown...kinda like quake1.. ;) lol (okay that went to far)

oblivion uses Paralax maps, the normal map is only for specular.(I think)
so yeah its missing about 3/4th's of its detail.

how far are you into your RPG Puki?
youve been talking about it for a long time. (not like Mikes sub sim tho) ;)

Sam

Doggie(Posted 2006) [#51]
Your graphical dominance?????????????You didn't do anything. But I think someone's already pointed that out.

Ash_UK(Posted 2006) [#52]
I'm sure you've seen screenshots of Oblivion. It looks far better than the junk Puki is showing.

For those who don't know what Oblivion looks like, here's a screenshot:

Screenshot

DH(Posted 2006) [#53]
Your graphical dominance?????????????You didn't do anything. But I think someone's already pointed that out.

Is everyone a stranger to sarcasm? He is just showing us some cool stuff, not his intentions to use the media comercially, nor his skills as an artist (even if they are better than yours (note: sarcasm)). I think it's kinda neat, even though I wouldnt personally waste my time on media I couldn't use commercially......

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#54]
yup... Stephen King's 'The Stand'...

you were right Rook...

--Mike

DH(Posted 2006) [#55]
yup... Stephen King's 'The Stand'...

you were right Rook...

Not quite sure what that is supposed to mean!?!

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#56]
" Not my problem if a bunch of losers are jealous that it looks good. "

yeh..whatever...it looks pretty good for b3d, but your
using ripped commercial artwork.. how does that show off
your skill as an artist? - or perhaps your talking about the
composition of the image? - which to be honest doesnt
seem that good..

no doubt its better than anything i could produce..but i
dont like the fact that its being posted here...

anyway, it looks like your project is coming to together
quite well..well done.

xmlspy(Posted 2006) [#57]
What puki is doing is the same as most of your stupid 2d mario and zelda games that you like to make... Images look nice Puki, and I know you are no artist, and probably a really bad coder anyways....

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#58]
How do you know that he's a bad coder? Have you seen any examples of his work?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#59]
Hello horse... :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#60]
@ DarkHalf...
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=61391

scroll down a few posts...

--Mike

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#61]
Hi Horsy... :|>

DH(Posted 2006) [#62]
Ahhh, now I get it, thanks Red!

I thought it had to do with my handle ("The Dark Half" was a Stephen King books, from which I took my handle back in the 90's)

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#63]
Hi horse.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#64]
I notice, on the screenshot, that the rider is using the lost Tibetan art of Horse-melding. Notice the rider's calfs have actually melded with the horse's flank. This makes the rider less susceptible to falling off. More importantly the rider is able to give the effect that the horse speaks when it whinnies by applying pressure directly to its lungs. I'm amazed that "Puki" was aware of this lost art. We only really remember it in jokes with punchlines such as "Lucky you didn't ask the grey. It knows bugger-all about cars!"

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2006) [#65]
lmao @ "...effect that the horse speaks when it whinnies by applying pressure directly to its lungs"

Quality :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2006) [#66]
Now you just need to steal their skybox model

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#67]
Nice tank puki.