Portal test

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Portal test

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#1]
See my other post on this please.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=61307

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#2]
Nice vortex effect.

On a related note, how do you guys capture video of your games running?

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#3]
Using an app called FRAPS. It's not free i din't think, but it's not too expensive either. :o) Worth the money i say.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#4]
Neat. How are you making the blue swirl get bigger and bigger?

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#5]
I'm guessing he's scaling the object up? I'm assuming this is in 3D...

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
Yeah, maybe he's just scaling it. When I first watched the vid, I thought the swirl texture was actually changing as well as getting bigger, though. I think I need glasses. :/

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#7]
It may be a combination...dynamic texture on a scaling sprite, perhaps? Who knows? Well, Ross C does...

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#8]
Nah, it's just a scaling sprite, set to alpha blend i think, with the lightning cylinders. The lightning is made from cylinders built in blitz, then deformed by some code. They are reset to there first shape and randomly deformed again. Been meaning to make them single surface. Currently each lightning bolt, is two surfaces.

puki(Posted 2006) [#9]
Looks okay. The portal effect is better than the portal itself.

However, I don't like portals - never will. I'd recommend not using portals.

I'm currently removing the Oblivion gates from Oblivion as I consider then bentile.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#10]
How come you're using a mesh for the lightning, and not just an anim texture, Ross? I guess the 3D effect is just better this way?

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#11]
Well, i need a portal. It's the main point of the game. ANy other suggestions? I'm a crap at texturing, but things like these will suffice for now :o)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#12]
increase the swirl, so it takes up more space.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#13]
Well, it's more dynamic. You will get a really close look at this. And be able to circle about it. I will further experiment with it though :o)

@Yavin, i'm going to try and get a tunneling effect going and have the swirl permentately big.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :o)

big10p(Posted 2006) [#14]
You mean something like this? :P

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#15]
Hehehehe, yeah, summit like that m8. I'll work on it tomorrow :o)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#16]
Nice effect but you can do much better Ross!!!

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#17]
A challenge eh? Hehe, i'm working on it just now. Getting an animated texture for the power flow and some sprite lights

HNPhan(Posted 2006) [#18]
Hey Ross, I was actually doing something like this awhile ago. I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but heres what I had

http://www.hnphan.com/images/vortex.avi

(use save target as)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#19]
Dam, that's impressive... No, not at all. If anything it will act as inspiration. I guess i need better media. That's a very lovely effect though :D

Ash_UK(Posted 2006) [#20]
Very nice TigerZ :o) that reminds me of Zelda 64 where eveil has been cast over the mountains :p Excellent work on the portal Ross, keep up the great work!