Another look at MAU Invasion graphics

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Another look at MAU Invasion graphics

tsmpaul(Posted 2006) [#1]
The radial menus and draggable display screens didn't really work out for me. I've gone to a fixed menu system at the bottom of the screen. Here's shots showing how the terrain on the demo map is progressing, and the finished menu / user interface.

----

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#2]
ooooh.. I've been looking at this..
when can we play?!?!? :)

tsmpaul(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hopefully first demo by end of august. Hopefully sooner, but maybe a little later...

puki(Posted 2006) [#4]
This looks good.

I suggest you email me the project so that I can check it over.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#5]
It does look good. I'd like to see how it plays. - perhaps a vid of it in action?

tsmpaul(Posted 2006) [#6]
I don't have a video capture program yet (I plan to buy one at some point). Is there a freeware video capture program you know of?

Matty(Posted 2006) [#7]
I think FRAPS lets you take a video of your game and is free but the last time I tried the free version it really slowed the game down during the filming.

tsmpaul(Posted 2006) [#8]
Okay, I've downloaded FRAPS.

This is a short collection of clips, joined together in a movie editing program I have. It basically shows part of scenes with transports dropping some units off, shows rotating the camera about, selecting one of the Active units during a phase, and moving it. All very brief clips. I shrunk the movies, and compressed them so the files weren't 150 meg. Now they're much smaller for internet viewing. Probably should view them in double size (200%) or full screen, to make anything out. The frame rate during video capture wasn't very good either, but it's better than nothing :)

13 meg

http://members.gamedev.net/mauinvasion/movies/demo_clips1.mpg

This shows the main menu idea I'm using in the demo. I was inspired by the video within a video concept on the Final Fantasy Spirits Within Movie's DVD menu.

2.5 meg

http://members.gamedev.net/mauinvasion/movies/demo_menuclip1.mpg

This clip is just rotating camera around the blue team after their units have arrived on the demo map.

6 meg

http://members.gamedev.net/mauinvasion/movies/spin_blue.mpg

Matty(Posted 2006) [#9]
Videos are great - another game I'd like to play. There seems to be some quality stuff appearing in the showcase at the moment.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#10]
Small vids but they showed enough... I like this game, it has potential.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#11]
Very impressive. Nice work !

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#12]
I wanna alpha/beta test it!

I'm good at testing, ask anyone.

well, anyone I've tested for.

:)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#13]
hey... this looks cool...

--Mike

fetcher(Posted 2006) [#14]
This is top quality work. I can't wait for a playable version.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#15]
Nice work :o)

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#16]
The buildings don't match the landscape; you have a fairly realistically textured landscape covered in, again, fairly realistic trees, but your buildings use very low-detail cartoon-like textures.

Stylistically, this just doesn't work for me. You should either alter the buildings to match the realistic style of the rest of the environment or vice versa.

Looks promising though!

Jason W.(Posted 2006) [#17]
Awesome MM!!

I think your game looks great so far. I was or still am planning a Mechforce clone. I think it was the best shareware on the Amiga.

Anyway, your screenshots are spectaculer.

Jason

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#18]
I like the design of the UI.