More architecture with 3D World Studio

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/More architecture with 3D World Studio

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here's a complete furnished house we had made recently, using 3D World Studio.

puki(Posted 2006) [#2]
Why has it got a double and a single garage? I've not seen that before - is this a U.S. thing?

IKG(Posted 2006) [#3]
I've never seen that before either, and I'm in US.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#4]
It's pretty common on the west coast.

Svenart(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well done. The second and third images are looking good in my opinion (I believe the first image would look good too, if you would use a shadowmap like in the other 2 images). I like the warm mood in the rooms. But Im not sure about the shadows. In the second Image you can see 2 shadows from the table left and right, but no shadow under the table... Maye some more lights could help making the shadows more realistic. But all in all it looks good to me.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#6]

It's pretty common on the west coast.

Dad has his Porsche on the single garage and wife and just-got-my-drivers-licence daughter have their junks on the other? :P

I guess the outside pic doesn't have any lightmaps calc'd ans applied yet?

Scale and such is bit off, but otherwise it looks to me game-good. Having a BA in Architecture some things seems to me bit out of / wrong scale like:

-Work chair is usually 40cm * 40cm... yours look either too wide/deep or the seat is too low.

-All ceiling look to be too low, usually they are ~3m

-Couch and table seem to have mismatching scale too

maximo(Posted 2006) [#7]
I don't like this brush technology, everything looks so flat and so I don't know, much repetition in textures, details are not there.

Inside it looks a bit better, but from outside it doesn't look like something you'd expect to see in todays games.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#8]
i have to agree with max here, josh... the first impression i got when i saw the screenie was that everything was so flat... so clean and unreal looking...

otherwise, i'm sure it would be a great walkthrough... a fully furnished interior to explore.

--Mike

markcw(Posted 2006) [#9]
the ground in the first picture is visibly tiled, the concrete and grass bring down the quality.
the house itself inside and out looks fine texture-wise.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
I tripple (uh?) that, right now it's looking kind of like one of those Architecture App results, plain theory, no ambiance (the total views). Of course lightmapping is missing, a sunlight would make it look much better.

obviously tiling textures can be disguised by placing some objects on them, eg: some barrels and crates :).

Additionally, personally I came away from using too much (or only) x and y tiling textures. Instead I use Textures that fit the height of stuff (eg. walls, objects) and tile them horizontally only (floor is usually an exception). So I can control the amount of weathered, rotten or dirty appearence of the bottom and top of things. Of course it forces me to scale the texture for every wall etc. individually, but it's worth the troubles. Plus: it will disguise bleeding edges of lightmaps nicely under some amount of natural "dirt of edges, corners etc."

You may have clean proper interior, but outside there usually IS dirt and dust.