Bethesda's Oblivion in Blitz3D

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Bethesda's Oblivion in Blitz3D

puki(Posted 2006) [#1]

I had to match by hand each texture to each face - sniff. Still it looks pretty good.

EDIT:
The texture mismatch on the corner wall is not my fault - it is on the original building - I don't think there is a way around it.

EDIT:
Also, the thatched overhangs are not meant to look like that - they are supposed to have a more 'feathered' look.

puki(Posted 2006) [#2]
This is the original model:

EDIT:
That orange bit in the corner is ZoneAlarm

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#3]
It looks great, but is there any point? You'll never even be able to give us even a demo of it running. You're limited to screenshots and videos, apart from your own use. Just seems like a shame to go to so much trouble when you can't really do anything with it.

puki(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well, it just looks so great. It seems a shame not to use the stuff.

Previously, I was using the 'NeverWinter Nights' geometry, but the Oblivion stuff is a lot better.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2006) [#5]
What point are you making?

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#6]
You mean you're nicking models out of Oblivion?
Wich you can't actually use?

puki(Posted 2006) [#7]
I put a cheeky wall around it - plus a, cheeky, little gate:

Think of it this way - Oblivion is said to be the best-looking RPG ever. Well, this kind of makes my RPG the second best-looking. These models will be good for a couple of years then I can replace them with TES V when it comes out.

I'm a bit annoyed I have to hand-texture everything myself - it is not just a case of putting the meshes and textures in the same folder.

The great thing is not having to worry about graphics anymore - I've got loads - the Oblivion stuff is 3GB on its own.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#8]
hhhhmmmm... cheeky indeed...

:)

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#9]
You must feature on Cheeky Weekly dot com.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#10]
The great thing is not having to worry about graphics anymore - I've got loads - the Oblivion stuff is 3GB on its own.
And you're most likely breaking the law by using it.

I really don't see the point of this thread. If you'd made the model and it was for a game or something, then fair enough. But all you've done is leech a model from Oblivion and load it into Blitz.

I'm not sure this is what the Graphics Showcase is for...

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#11]
Creating graphic content is the hardest part of making a game especially when you're a solo act. I don't see using the models for filler a problem while you're coding the game. When you get the rpg finshed just get some original content and you're golden. :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#12]
Creating graphic content is the hardest part of making a game especially when you're a solo act.

i have to agree... at least for me it is, anyways...

--Mike

Ice9(Posted 2006) [#13]
It's nice to just rip stuff out of games just to see how they
were put together. If you're trying to create your own content
It's the best example.

Keep up the good work Puki.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#14]
i dunno puk... it's work like that that could land you in jail...

well... as long as you're just playin around with it, i guess no harm done... just don't get addicted to using other people's stuff... it can become habit forming...

... and bad habits are usually the hardest ones to break.

--Mike

puki(Posted 2006) [#15]
I added a couple of 'BlitzTrees' - I have unpacked the 'SpeedTree' meshes - not sure if they are useable without some kind of 'SpeedTree' code.

Added a cheeky sheep and a cheeky little sheep house - plus a path.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#16]
What are these BlitzTrees you speak of?!

puki(Posted 2006) [#17]
I think BlitzTree3D is the closest you are ever likely to get to SpeedTree and the price difference is amazing.

This is BlitzTree3D:

mongia2(Posted 2006) [#18]
wow

it a good work

mongia

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#19]
What's so special about that house? The only thing that is really fascinating on Oblivion is the vegetation system, like trees etc. Exactly like in your rendered scene: the Tree is the best IMHO. It looks like an early blitz3D project: no shadowmaps, plain tiled floor.

Don't want to disappoint you, Puki. The building is nothing special, not worth the time to convert if you cannot use it anyway. I also don't like the cartoonish look of the wall texture. Is that really original Oblivion?

puki(Posted 2006) [#20]
It certainly is from Oblivion. It is the Wawnet Inn in Weye (basically west of the Imperial City) - it lies on the other side of the bridge (that passes over Lake Rumare), from Chestnut Handy Stables (the stables of the Imperial City).

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#21]
Puki...there a link to a demo of BlitzTree3D? And I have to check out SpeedTree too. My project requires trees.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#22]
The stuff certainly looks better in Oblivion, probably has to do with the multitude of texture mapping effects which we unfortunatly have to code ourselves if we want them. Then again, so far I'm happy without them, though fast normal mapping would be nice.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#23]
"See, was that hard"
"Every little bit helps"

I definately played the game too much.

Good work there!

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#24]
Puki...BlitzTree3D looks awesome except for how the leaf quads spin around with the camera. That is horrible. :(

The LOD and single surface aspects of it rock though.

puki(Posted 2006) [#25]
Well, with regard to BlitzTree - I don't think it is that bad compared to SpeedTree. When playing Oblivion, I noticed some of the same shortfalls with SpeedTree that BlitzTree has.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#26]
Like what? Do the branches spin with the camera like in BT3D?

Zmatrix(Posted 2006) [#27]
yeah they spin to the camera just like Bt3d.

ahhh...chestnut handy stables...where i stole my first horse...Isnt that the orcs that are eating the horses?

Sam

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#28]
After much inspection, I think BlitzTree3D is kinda mediocre. It is close to SpeedTree in how it functions but doesn't look anything near as nice. Now I do realize it's good for what it is tho: a cheap tree management system written in blitz. At this point I'd say the trees in tree[d] look much better.

SpeedTree is doing something a bit different. Yeah it's spinning the sprites to the camera but there's something else it's doing that makes it barely noticeable. I think a lot has to do with color matching the grass and the ground texture to be very similar in color so you don't notice the grass sprite rotation as much. The black artifacts due to using straight flag 4 masking just kills BT3D for me. I had the intent to try and acqure a copy of BT3D but I think I'll take a stab at writing a tree system similar to SpeedTree myself. It's the subtle things that make SpeedTree stand out imo.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#29]
Too bad BlitzTree3D is gone forever :(

puki(Posted 2006) [#30]
but doesn't look anything near as nice

I have all of Oblivion's SpeedTree textures (barks/leaves/canopy shadow) - so, I think I can give BlitzTree a bit of a face-lift.

With BlitzTree, you have to bare in mind that some of the trees are plain ugly - some have bark textures that are not up to much and some have leaves assigned that are rubbish or, it is just a case that some of them are just geometrically poor.

In my project I am mainly using:
birch1, birch_adult, euc, ftree_1, ftree_5, high_mystic, oake1, orange1, sage, tree_h11 and tree_h14.

In addition to those, there are roughly the same number of trees that are useable but require altering (bark and/or leaves).

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#31]
What happened to blitztree anyway? I can't find it anywhere...

puki(Posted 2006) [#32]
BlitzTree was swallowed up by The Games Creators.

I have made about 4 enquires, over the period of about a year, for them to either put it on sale or make it freeware.

TGC are continually unable to make a decision.

Personally, I am in favour of both BlitzTree and BlitzGrass changing hands between Blitzers (but only those two particular ex-Aliencodec products).

I don't have BlitzGrass, but I want it - I have tried to acquire it from TGC with no result.

If nobody is selling the products, and Aliencodec are no longer in control of the products, then what does anyone care if people distribute media owned by TGC when they have no intention of distributing it themselves?

IKG(Posted 2006) [#33]
You mean, TGC actually owns BlitzTree? Too bad, otherwise it would be qualified as abandonware and you could distribute it for free.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#34]
, so is that mean that we can or we cant get it for free if someone of pressent owners decide to make it free since we cant get any info about it (I tried too, no results at all, but absolutely nothing, pure silence)...and I think they doing that purposely in order to 'hurt' opponent in same filed..in this case Blitz3D, or BRL itself..

puki(Posted 2006) [#35]
We are making a final push to resolve the BlitzTree/BlitzGrass issue in this thread:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=60843

I would be grateful if people would post their interest in obtaining these products (whether it is to purchase them or obtain them as freeware) in that thread - I just want to see how many people want the products.

skyfire1(Posted 2006) [#36]
Puki, they almost look like screenshots out of Morrowind.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#37]
lol @ SkyFire

(That was a joke wasnt it?)

skyfire1(Posted 2006) [#38]
No. Did It sound like a insult?

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#39]
skyfire1: http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=61319
(Sorry, puki.)

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#40]
I can see the lgic in what puki is doing her. Its great to see quality artwork in blitz 3d. its a fact most programmers here feel frustrated as their coding skills on the whole far outstrip their artistic ablitities.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#41]
No one has a problem with Puki dropping good artwork into their program. (Well thats not true, but I dont have a problem with it)

Its when they then say "Look how good I am, cos this looks Brill"

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#42]
Yeah H&K, I'm sure you'll tell me that it's all very lighthearted and laudable ;-)
But somehow it sticks in my craw when someone says "as well as to state my graphical dominance over the rest of the community." - as I think it did with many people.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#43]
Now shall we let his go, finally?
I think that the community's made its feelings clear to Puki by now.

SopiSoft(Posted 2006) [#44]
Great models, never played Oblivion myself, but i've seen others playing it and it looked great.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#45]
Let's make a blitz remake of the game without bugs... :o)

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#46]
I just got oblivion :( thats why i havnt posted much on the forums.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#47]

But somehow it sticks in my craw when someone says "as well as to state my graphical dominance over the rest of the community." - as I think it did with many people.

I think that most people understand puki's quirky sense of humour and would not be offended in the slightest - it's all very tongue-in cheek and should be taken that way.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#48]
@Smiff,

No I think Puki really belives it

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#49]
Haven't played the PC version of Oblivion yet, but this is quite similar to the X360 version as far as the quality of graphics. Of course, since high-def graphics are the norm for the X360 version, not too sure how to judge the standard graphics for the PC without looking at this one. I'm trying to determine how to bring high-def to PC standards in Blitz, I mean, you can use widescreen resolutions, but dunno if high-def is exactly big with Blitz yet...

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#50]
RAM not wishing to split too many hairs over this, it is the XBOX360 which has had to raise its game and come up in resolution to meet the average specs of PC's.

PC's and PC games have had these 'high def' graphics for years! Lol. Proper dedicated gamers play in at least 1280x1024 and many in 1600x1200.

;)

IPete2.

Wings(Posted 2006) [#51]
Oblivion is real Oblivion !

yes its boring as Oblivion !

If one levels (to gain strength an might) all other also levels. so one can never be real super human.

After the main quest end. Game gets more and more boring.

Its to fun to start over again. think of killing with just 1 strike. that how it is to be lvl 1

maby i shold mod my version with leveled monsters.

I finaly moded my oblicion. OOO mod :D its sweet. Main quest is real hard at level 2.