Wizards Workroom

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Wizards Workroom

Svenart(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi all,

here some screenshots of a scene I worked on some days ago. I have done this image in highpoly also, but wanted to export it to lowpoly for use in our game later maybe.

Thanks for viewing

puki(Posted 2006) [#2]
Large-it.

SopiSoft(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looks great! :D

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#4]
Wow!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#5]
Nice, what will you use it for?

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
I think it looks very good indeed (as always from you), apart from the fire particle effect in the fireplace - looks too yellow to me. The crystal ball doesn't look quite right to me, either.

Just me being picky and trying to give constructive feedback. :)

Matty(Posted 2006) [#7]
I agree - it looks very good although the fire particle effect does look a little too yellow to me. The fireplace at my old house used to have nice orange flames with a hint of blue/green at the base of the flames along with glowing red coals and very little smoke.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#8]
It's ok, but it seems a bit stylistically bland to me.

Physt(Posted 2006) [#9]
Well done! How are you doing your shadows? I bet it looks even better in motion.

>It's ok, but it seems a bit stylistically bland to me.
I think I understand your comment. The pictures don't give a real good sense of where you are. Can you explain what you mean by that a little? Can you suggest some change that would help?

puki(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hopefully, he is also working hard on the new low-poly pack - in fact, I think he is working on 2 packs.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#11]
2 pack? Wasn't he a rapper that got shot, or summut?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#12]
GGAAHHHHHHH!!!

Most Excellent Stuff... Seriously, First Rate Stuff Sven...

i stand in awe... again :)

if you get a free minute or two, how about a lil bit on how you did such great work... i thought that i was looking at a rendering, instead of an ingame shot...

actually, at first i thought i was looking at a photograph... seriously, this just looks better each time i look at it..

this is really worthy of praise... i'm gonna try to recreate it... or as close as i can get, if you don't mind... this has motivated me to try and hone my skillz...

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#13]
Looks great. I doubt it's possible to have huge maps in such a high detail level. But it's definitively looking good.

Svenart(Posted 2006) [#14]
thanks for all the feedback. The scene is not finished yet, I know It still needs some work. The lighting was done in Gile(s). At first, I wanted to make a demo out of this, but now I think I will use it for the roleplayinggame, we (occide&me)are working on (I will post some screenshots soon).

@redoktober: Iīm not sure what you want to hear... At first, Itīs very much modelling&texturing work. But most of the models are easy to do. We used our own particleemitter for the flames and made an small editor for editing scenes. If you have more specific questions, let me know.

Here the original highpoly renders (rendered with Lightwave3d):

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#15]
i'm impressed not only with the modeling,teturing, and renders in the modeller... but especially with the scenes in Blitz3d... you'vemanaged to bring over all aspects of the of scene intact from the original render...

what steps are you using, or are you simply using blitz loadmesh functions to get everything in the game?

--Mike

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#16]
Oh my god that's nice!

The lightwave renders are remarkable... If this is for a game, have you considered the possibilities of a prerendered adventure game with various real-time 3d details thrown in to liven it up?
I'm thinking this because your artwork just begs for as many polygons and effects as possible and looking at it beside the real-time stuff, the difference is very noticeable.
Not that the stuff in b3d isn't nice, though! (I liked it the most until I saw your renders :P)
I think there is a refraction effect in the code archives that you could use on that crystal ball...

I especially like how you have modelled that paper.

A good way to go about avoiding the "stylistically bland" thing is to figure out what kind of world this is set in, and what character uses this room. Try to extract some real-world elements for inspiration, even if they aren't actually the real setting. It's nice when the style changes from place to place (or even room to room), so don't think of it as a critical design choice :)
The base of your crystal ball looks kind of interesting...

Once you do that, try to add some of the design from that setting into the scene, such as for the shape of the dagger and the type of feather being used to write with. (If the wizard is/was an adventurous person, it could be a spectacular feather from a distant land).

I always find little tiny subtle things like that help to hook my attention and add a lot of depth to a location or a character.
At first glance here, the wizard seems like a wizard who does spells and has a crystal ball, but I am not drawn to observe a little detail and think about what is going on.
That was one of the things I found missing in Oblivion, for instance, which was that every object in the game seemed to be shipped from some big assembly line that produced identical chairs, books, tables, pens, bits of parchment and bowls.

Of course, for all I know that isn't what you're trying to do.
As an artistic render, this is excellent!

Svenart(Posted 2006) [#17]
to redoktober: I have made the whole scene with Lightwave3d, and exported it with deepexploration as one 3dsfile to gile for lightmapping and then into our editor we (occide&me) are working on (you can create scenes with the editor, too, but Lightwave is much more comfortable, and currently, the editor canīt save models). Then I added candlefire and the particlefire in the chimney with the editor.

to Mr. Picklesworth: Yes, I often think about making such a game, but all in all It would be extrem much renderwork and also you need a good story and at least a few good coders..

I will try to integrate the refraction effect, thanks for the hint.

Thanks also for your other suggestions. what you say sounds interesting to me... someone other told me nearly the same but not so precisely like you did. At first, I wanted to use this scene for a simple demo, but now, I think I will use it for the dungeonpart of our roleplayinggame. But in our game, we will use something like a Diablo2 perspective in 3d with zoom and turn but you cant zoom too close... so I think I will have to reduce this scene a little. Unfortunately, I have to made nearly all the graphics and parts of the game/editor... so sometimes there is not enough time to make everything 100% like I want, but I will keep your suggestions in mind next time...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#18]
I never cease to be amazed at the amazing quality of images like the few you have produced above. Fantastic work !

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2006) [#19]
I`d kill to be able to model like that...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#20]

I have made the whole scene with Lightwave3d, and exported it with deepexploration as one 3dsfile

Can Deepexploration convert from 3dsMax files to Lightwave files and back?

puki(Posted 2006) [#21]
Can Deepexploration convert from 3dsMax files to Lightwave files and back?

Just in case you have to wait for an answer:

You need to have 3DS Max installed for it to work with Deep Exploration - some previous versions didn't need you to have it installed.

DE can certainly convert them, but I don't have 3DS Max.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#22]
So you have to buy Lightwave AND 3dStudioMax to convert files?!

I only ask because a lot of artists use 3dStudioMax files and I have Lightwave.

puki(Posted 2006) [#23]
Nope - only 3DS Max. DE has loads of plug-ins installed.

Here are the current built-in supported formats:

http://www.righthemisphere.com/support/help/supported_file_formats/de_ds_supported_file_formats.pdf

EDIT:
In fact, the above is not the full list as I note the 'Homeworld' format is not there.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#24]
So I can't use 3dStudioMax files - but lots of other files? Lightwave can already import 3dStudio files anyway - just not Max files.

puki(Posted 2006) [#25]
Get the demo version here - ' Deep Exploration Standard and CAD Edition':
http://www.righthemisphere.com/support/downloads/download.php

I think it lasts for 30 days, then will stop saving - but you can still use it, you just can't save stuff.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#26]
Thanks.

Panno(Posted 2006) [#27]
give me your skill's !!!!!!

i like it a lot

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#28]
Very magical man :o)

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#29]
Absolutely Fabtatsic Sven. Magnificent work guys - well done.

IPete2.

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#30]
impressive :]