MAU Invasion new terrain

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/MAU Invasion new terrain

tsmpaul(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've decided to change the way my maps are generated in my game. Previously I had each map tile as its own 3D object, but for large maps, the loading time on my computer was starting to be a pain.

So I've decided to make each map a large heightmapped terrain object. All units, structures and terrain features are still plotted onto the map according to a 'map grid' that controls things like unit movement and that sort of thing. Anyhow, here's a sample shot showing the new style for my game's maps.

Also, I've started working on a new user interface, rather than have a large portion of the screen covered in status displays, toolbars, and that sort of thing, I'm thinking of a radial menu that circles the current unit / structure, allowing commands to be clicked, or bringing up pop-up windows for more in-depth details.

This screenshot shows the new radial menu I'm working on.

Hopefully another month or two and I'll have my first demo out :)

Liberator(Posted 2006) [#2]
This looks awesome! Do you have buildings where you produce units, or do you just control a pre-defined squad? Reminds me of Mech Commander, which is a total classic.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hey, nice!

Matty(Posted 2006) [#4]
Looking good, however perhaps (and this is just my opinion) - maybe the radial user interface could only show the 'tabs' for the ones that are available currently? - all the blank ones could be hidden?

tsmpaul(Posted 2006) [#5]
Matty:
That's a good idea. I might see how that looks.

Liberator:
There's no unit production, just pre-defined squads. The first program I'm working on is a multiplayer hot-seat demo (taking turns on a single computer) with battles between two teams on a single map. I haven't decided yet if players can choose which units are in their squads, or if I'll just leave it as two teams with default units for those teams. I'll then work on a more detailed and interactive game based on the sort of feedback I get from the demo about how the game is played out.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#6]
Some real nice use of multi-texturing for the terrains there.

puki(Posted 2006) [#7]
Interesting.