Sky and Water Pic

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Sky and Water Pic

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here's a pic of what I've been laboring over the past few hours. Sky box textures made in Terragen and the water came about totally by accident. I punched in the wrong flag and kinda freaked when I saw it. It really looks like real water with light refracting off of "waves".

I know the terrain is heinous...I'm working on that next.

tsmpaul(Posted 2006) [#2]
That water is really awesome! I'm impressed!

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thx MisterMecha! :)

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#4]
How did you make that water? I have been working on water for ever with not much success. Mind sharing some code or an explanation?

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#5]
Be sure to check the water compo thread too for many cool free water techniques:

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=53162

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#6]
Yeah, I have read that thread so many times, and I have all of the demos there on my computer, but I would still like to know how chroma did that.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
Any chance seeing it in action? Doesn't look too special yet ;o) I'm sure it's better moving though. Keep at it man :o)

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#8]
You're right, it's not special enough to see in action. :( I'll keep working on it.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#9]
Well I think it looks a little better now...still trying to make it look more special...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
what is it? A simple plane? Or are the waves somehow made of polygons?

BTW did anybody try to use animated normalmaps for waves? I guess it could look pretty good.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#11]
Yep it's just 2 planes...both at 0,0,0. No animated textures.

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#12]
Does it animate at all?

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#13]
It's not an animated texture but it does 'appear' to animate.

EDIT: I'll get with you in a week when you get back from the scout trip.