Question About Copyright

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Question About Copyright

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#1]
Ok, say I want to post some pictures from my upcoming, to-be commercial project...what steps should I take to protect my material before showing it off in public for feedback?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
If you already have a publisher/contract you'll probably find you'll need to get permission from them.

If you don't, then just post it. People are far too caught up in their own little worlds to concern themselves with stealing your graphics/ideas.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#3]
watermark the images...

--Mike

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#4]
No publisher or contract, all indie work...

I'm not sure how to go about marking images...especially since I don't know what's "legally" acceptable as a copyright.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#5]
Photoshop can produce a watermark effect - maybe other packages can as well. Or just put your name or logo across the screenshot in grey text - here's an example.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/219509/SID/298240/blFP/1

By the very nature you produced it means it is copyrighted to you automatically - unless you've ripped it from someone else ofcourse.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure that was true!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#7]
one legal trick is to put a cd with all your work into a sealed envelope (note there are some official standards about sealing letters) and send the letter to your own adress. Then store it at a save place without to ever open the seal. If there will ever be a legal fight, you will be able to open the dated, sealed letter watched by the judge, and proof you're the owner of the intellectual property.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#8]
ne legal trick is to put a cd with all your work into a sealed envelope (note there are some official standards about sealing letters) and send the letter to your own adress. Then store it at a save place without to ever open the seal. If there will ever be a legal fight, you will be able to open the dated, sealed letter watched by the judge, and proof you're the owner of the intellectual property.

Also known as Poor Man's Copyright. And it's of little or no value and has no legal standing.

http://www.copyrightauthority.com/poor-mans-copyright/

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#9]
one legal trick is to put a cd with all your work into a sealed envelope (note there are some official standards about sealing letters) and send the letter to your own adress. Then store it at a save place without to ever open the seal. If there will ever be a legal fight, you will be able to open the dated, sealed letter watched by the judge, and proof you're the owner of the intellectual property.

...Often repeated, but pretty much an urban legend -- since there is no way to proof that you actually sealed the envelope at all when you mailed it and added things later, legally this wouldn't be much proof at all.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#10]
Go and see one of those people who sign that a will has been witnesed (A Noteryiaty <-- Spelt wrong)

@Xlsior, whilst I agree that its not a good method, in the UK, you go to the post office and pay the Registed delivery, and they put one of those seal things on it. So you do know if it was sealed or not

To be honest though we are only talking about "Images". Not secret plans for a magic box. Just post them. The worst that could happen is that your pictures give someone else the idea for a game. And that would happen if you had copywrited/watermarked it or not

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#11]
The term Seal says it all. If it isn't sealed properly then it isn't sealed at all. while at the other hand the official Seal made of Seal wax and applied correctly will be proof of evidence. The letter was sent with registered mail, and there's the date on the stamp.

An expert can easily determine if a letter was opened or not. A couple of witnesses could back up the arguments.

After all the question is: are they going to believe you?

However, I agree, that's too much troubles for some images.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#12]
Thanks for the info guys...interesting about the poor mans copyright, but I see it's not that big of a deal, I'll just post the images. Soon...