Glow Effect Demo

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Glow Effect Demo

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here's my first attempt at per entity based glow. You define what entities you want to glow by adding them to a list. Then they are processed and the glow is added. It's just off and on right now. No intensity or bleed controls. It's still a WIP.

EDIT: Bah! You have to right click and Save As...

www.freewebs.com/tripwiregames/glow_effect.zip

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
archive is corrupted .. I cant open it..

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#3]
K will reupload it.

Reuploaded, lemme know if it works. I may have to find a new host.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well, I hit backspace and the tri count goes up by 2, but I don't see any change...

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#5]
You see absolutely nothing change at all?

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#6]
Not a sausage.

Apart from the tri counter inc/dec by 2, no other change.

The fps count stays steady at 85.

Geforce6800 128megs, Win2000, P4 2ghz.

Perhaps a wireframe command and/or a 'test pattern' key to see if the quad in front of the camera is updating?

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#7]
Hmm...the red lines on the box don't glow? Very odd. Can someone else try this out and give me some feedback?

It still needs a lot of work. I still have to tackle the distance issue which makes the glow get too blurry at long ranges. But it looks pretty killer on my comp. I'll post a pic with and without glow effect on...gimme a few minutes.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#8]
Chroma

I notice that the box's surface isn't set to fullbright.

Also, if I change the box.bmp to all white then I do see a white line down the righthand edge of the screen when the cam gets close to the box. Are you sure the quad's correctly positioned in front of the cam?

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#9]
Right, the boxes surface shouldn't be set to full bright. With this method there's no need to do that.

Can't explain that one. It's perfectly lined up here. What videocard do you have because I'm loading a texture into flag 256 (vid mem)...not sure if that's a factor. It shouldn't be.

Fixing the side blurriness might be as simple as turning off mipmapping. I'm still tinkering around with it.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#10]
Geforce6800.

Definitely seeing just the image on the left.

Will give it a test on my home system later.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#11]
works fine here, although I would say it's a minimal glow effect. I probably tend to push things out further than needed when it comes to glows though. Right now most of the effect is lost in texture blurring anyways, and if you didn't have the red box visible you might not even notice the change.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#12]
Hmmm...why do I get this bizzare feeling that this is somehow related to that community Tron project I've been hearing about?

It works perfectly here (the way it's described as working). Though the effect does need more definition, but as you said, it's WIP.

Looks like a nice start...hope there will be source code at some point!

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#13]
I got the side blurriness fixed. Now I just have to mess with the scaling to get it situated right on the screen. Also gonna look into making a low overhead blur feature and sample that over the top of the already intensified red lines. Right now it's almost like looking thru nightvision goggles lol.

I wanted to do a glow like tron but not have to turn the model to full bright. That way the textures can be left intact. Heck I'll whip up something to show you what I mean.

The latest:

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#14]
And here's another shot on the backside of an object that isn't set to full bright. The crispness is there, now to just get the soft glow added. But since it's 2am and I have strep throat...I'm going to bed. =(

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#15]
I coded some of my best stuff when I was sick as a dog and should have been in bed :-)

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#16]
I went to the doc and he just gave me some stuff to dry up my sinuses. I was hoping for some antibiotics but oh well.

I started over and it's crude at this stage but it's getting closer to what I envisioned. Here's the new WIP.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#17]
certainly brighter, needs to be seen in a scene like earlier to really make out how well the effect works though.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#18]
not working for me here. And by not working I mean it is not a very convincing glow. This latest version looks pretty mushy, like a bad,low-res texture that has mipmapping on it.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be harsh, just calling it like I see it.

I don't know what technique you are trying now, but I would suggest simply starting with a pre-glowed texture. I would take your existing lines and make them more white or light pink, and allow the glow to fall off into a deeper red. This will create a bright center and give everything a bit more snap visually. Look at the disc texture I made in your other thread. The disc is glowing blue, but the actual lines are white, followed by a light cyan fringe spreading out into a deeper blue as it fades out.

I made an example for you to show what I mean but I don't have a way to post it right now. Let me know if you want me to email it to you.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#19]
Already did that Pongo. This angle was shooting for a more realistic glow but it's not happening atm. Here's what I already did a few days ago.

I agree it looks mushy hence it's WIP. Not sure if all this effort is really worth it tho considering I can get a decent look by doctoring up the textures a bit like below.

Sure shoot me an email with exactly what you mean. I'm a bit anxious to get back into the modeling portion of it. I have a really cool ideas with disc warfare. Blocking, throwing, jumping, and a special throw where you can charge up to throw you disc faster/farther.

Kalisme(Posted 2006) [#20]
Chroma: Hey there... erm... I dunno if this is what your after... but I think if you want a more convincing glow, you should set up another extra layer (same way as the glow layer)... and set it up like a motion blur, but instead of grabbing and blurring the whole scene, just grab the glow...
I think that would add a bit of realism to it... well.. I mean, the eye might recomize it more as a glow.
erm... hope that was helpful... soryy if someone already said that, I'm sorta half asleep :P

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#21]
Yeah the proper glow is being a pain. =(

On a positive note...I've finalized the light cycle model and now I'm just waiting on Brad to send my Unwrap3D reg code so I can texture map it.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#22]
Yea, building it into the texture like that is a better way to go I think. (And you could still put a glow on top of it if you wanted.)

I will send you the texture anyways, but my computer is down at the moment. We had to do some serious house re-arranging this weekend and I have not gotten it set back up yet,... hopefully tonight.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#23]
Download link is broken.

Looks all very interesting.
And I have to admit: I love the Tron movie!!!!!!!

So get this going. The sooner, the better... ;)

P.S.: http://www.gltron.org/ <- nice one.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#24]
Just had a little idea. I've seen in some games how people put a cartoonish black line on the outside of their models like in the game Luna-C. Is it possible to take that technique and make it so a model has an aura effect arounds it's outline? Could do inner glow with alpha channels and the outer glow like the cartoon thing. Would look very cool methinks.

Grisu: I'm working on the tron player models atm. Gonna make models in the likeness of Tron, Flynn, and Yori. Flynn has that tunic thing going on. Also gonna have it so the player gets to choose the color of the lines on the suit to give it some individuality.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#25]
Cant check it here at school atm, but what routine you using exactly for the effect?

Off the top of my head , the way I'd attempt it is to render the scene with only the glowable objects, render that to a texture, then overlay the scene with it, with the multiply-blend flag on and its scale set a tiny bit larger on both axis.

@ Chroma -

Not too sure on how exactly you could make it look "soft", unless you did the outline thing (which is basically copying the model, flipping the normals, and expanding its size a little bit) multiple times for different levels of alpha?

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#26]
Hmm...could do it decently if we could render the scene with only the object you wanted to glow. Render to texture. Scale the texture with the object at center x5 at say .8 alpha, store that. Then do 4x scale at .6, 3x at .4 and 2x at .1. Layer all those together...take a shot and render it with alpha over the top of the screen. Would take some work but you'd have a 5 pixel glow that got lighter as it went outward more. And it would be the exact shape of the model too. Might have to have a copy of the mesh hidden that's the color of the glow. Then hide original model...show colored model. Do all the rendering....hide colored...show original. Lotta work but it would look pretty good I think.