Need feedback on this model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Need feedback on this model

zzz(Posted 2006) [#1]
Well, this is the first human model ive completed, did the modeling in wings and rendered it in povray.

All constructive feedback are welcome.

Would be nice to get some directions on to what to do also, unless someone have any ideas about that im going to try and do some high detail heads i think.

EDIT:

Started over, new pics further down.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#2]
good for the low poly count. the eyes need to be more defined to get the light to shadow correctly, not much jsut a few more triangles should do it. thats my only input apart from why model toes? if its for a game there really just a waste just use a texture.

good work

Pete

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
you never know, maybe he plans some special toes moves.

The model is looking good. Toes and fingers maybe could be simplyfied. The ears are kind of strange. Not sure if it's the perspective, but the proportion is looking a bit unbalanced to me. (legs not long enough) Arms are looking a bit weak, maybe needs some muscles. (esp. the lower arms)

Suggestion (not sure if your modeller allows this): Use a human picture as the backgound of your modellers preview, then adust the vertices to make them fit the proportions of the human foto.

In low poly you should start thinking about the special purpose of the model at a relative early point: what clothes will he wear, what actions will he perform (carry stuff in his hands?). You may save a lot of polies when you optimize it for its special purpose. It will also make it easier to texture it when you have some clear shapes of clothes.

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#4]
I must agree, unless your guy is going to run around bare foot with some toe moves then toes are pointless.

If you're going to animate it you'll need more polys around the knees and elbows. Also look at how you're connecting the arms. Arms have a shoulder and armpit, this is very important.

And the whole head/neck/ear thing looks odd too. Again, might be perspective.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#5]
I think his lower body is too short... might just be the perspective again. Looking good tho.

zzz(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks all for the tips.

Ive done some small changes on the arms, and tried fix the ears and outline the eyes and yaw a bit better.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
I still think the legs look a little short...

zzz(Posted 2006) [#8]
Here he is again with slightly longer legs :)

Now i think his head and arms looks a bit disproportioned tho.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#9]
www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/body.gif

To me it looks like his head isn't big enough. And his chest is too tall. Looking at that animation i posted, it seems to be the case. Perhaps his legs should be a very small touch shorter.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#10]
don't get discouraged Psy... doing organics is one of the most difficult jobs in modelling... it's gonna be a bit of a trial and error thing, especially this being your first (which, btw, is very good for a first humanoid model)...

you're getting some good feedback from guys who have been there and done that... they'll help you get it right... good luck... actually, it's starting to come around now...

(yeah, about those toes... :) nice job, but definitely a waste and a few unnecessary additional polys for the gpu to have to push around... especially if you plan to have 10 or 20 of these guys walking around... besides, they'll most likely be wearing shoes, or sneakers anyways... right...)

--Mike

zzz(Posted 2006) [#11]
Started over with a new model using a background image for reference, thanks jfk for the tip. No toes now :o

model:

ref image:

Im not sure if the proportions are correct, drew the ref as i remembered them from drawing class ( which was a few years ago ).

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#12]

maximo(Posted 2006) [#13]
Hi Psy here is some usefull refense for you, actuall wires of my model. Use it to learn ;)

zzz(Posted 2006) [#14]
Thanks for the pics and nice model maximo :)

I added some detail to the torso, the model is around 1200 tris now.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#15]
Also, try to stay away from poles/fans. thats areas like this

As in alot of edges going into the same point, making it look like a fan. It will make youy model look funky when its deformed with bones, and also the way vertex lighting is done will make it look crap.

Try instead to do with a grid like the pictures maximo posted

zzz(Posted 2006) [#16]
Thanks for pointing that out :)

Going to start over again, found a vid on google that gave me a better idea of how to rough out shapes avoiding defects like these.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#17]
you should find software that lets you work on quad polygons so that you don't see all the triangles, that way you can build much better model since you can see the mesh flow better then on triangulated model. I personally find it confusing to work with triangulated meshes since all those triangles are in the way when you want to add new details...

zzz(Posted 2006) [#18]
Those pics were rendered with blitz, i did it that way to see the final result. Wings render objects using quads like any other modeling app ive seen :)

pic from wings in case i misunderstood that

maximo(Posted 2006) [#19]
rotate those arms for more natural look, grab the vertices from the second elbow line and rest of the hand and rotate them 70-80 degrees into natural arm resting position. The position you model it in is unatural, look at my example to understand what I mean ;)

Btw streighten the legs, he looks like a cowboy standing like that, make them more streight unless you are modeling a cowboy ;)

zzz(Posted 2006) [#20]
Turned above figure into this now. Arms looks much better this way indeed.

Now to do that head :o

zzz(Posted 2006) [#21]
Only made a little progress, been busy with other things. Cant help but think the arms are too long now, anyone got an opinion about that?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#22]
you'd be surprised at how much detail you can achieve by rotating some of those edge loops. the edge loops in the legs are all parallel to the ground. you could do away with 50% of those in the legs and waist with better utilization of edge loop rotation. maximo's mesh is a good example. study the loops in his model.

zzz(Posted 2006) [#23]
edge loops? huh :o

SheepOnMintSauce(Posted 2006) [#24]

A selected edge.

A selected edge loop.

A rotated edge loop.

Excuse the backface culling, it was on so I left it on. =P

maximo(Posted 2006) [#25]
You have all the details there but form is lacking, try hard to improve the form, study my mesh and try to form your to have more appealing look, as said you got all the right details in there but form is not really that good, you need to spend more time to nail it and once you do you're modeling skills will go to a new level of modeling ;)

Don't rush, dont move on to the head yet if you ask me! ;)

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#26]
Maximo whats the polycount on your mesh above? very nice model!

Pete

maximo(Posted 2006) [#27]
i'm not so sure right now, perhaps 3000 something. I's going to be model for games, I'm planing a new content pack but that's all I'm telling right now...

zzz(Posted 2006) [#28]
You guys never get happy do you? =< ... :o

Im quite happy with how he looks from the front now, hes back is a formless mass tho lol.

Would you mind posting a few shots showing the back of your model maximo?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#29]
Psy your model looks much better now. I like the chest. For the arms and the legs I think you should shape the muscles a bit more in the curves they naturally have. Like, the lowerleg: starts slim at the knee, then gets bigger, then shrinks again, until it's very slim where the feet begin.

The point of the max radius of the lower leg is most likely the "golden ratio". (phi)

Tho I have to say, right now it's already pretty close to what I'm talking about.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#30]
>hes back is a formless mass tho lol.

Actually his front looks like it needs a bit more work, back looks better then front to me.

zzz(Posted 2006) [#31]
Removed a few edge loops and rotated the others a bit, worked pretty good :o Tried to define the lower legs a bit better also.

EDIT:

Did a few small changes on the sides of the chest, which looks more realistic?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#32]
nice improvements! he's getting there, but his shoulders are not defined. you need to move those middle verts under the pectorals more towarads the armpits, then the ones next to them them back on the z axis a little to give the area where the pecs meet the shoulders more definition.

rotate the edge loops on the abs forward on the x axis to give the abs more definition, and also rotate the edge loops at the top of the thighs inwards on the z axis.

the neck is too wide. try to blend it with the shoulders better and decrease the diameter of those 2 edge loops. if you still want him to have a thick neck you can leave the traps where they are.

lookin good man.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#33]
yeah shoulders are looking weird, look at how I defined mine, you need to pull in some vertices towards the inside to define the breasts and shoulder better, right now they flow into each other without any break...

zzz(Posted 2006) [#34]
how about this? or should i make the neck even smaller?

zzz(Posted 2006) [#35]
Was kinda hard to see what i did, hope these helps more :$

I made the neck quite a bit smaller but i want to keep a good definition of the back/shoulder muscles.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#36]
that's okej, but shoulder to breast area is looking wierd, you need to add another line where shoulders and chest connect and then pull this line inside towards the body to make it look more natural... fix the shoulders and the model is ready to roll ;)

zzz(Posted 2006) [#37]
Did some more changes and started working on the face.

I originally started with this to get a simple humanoid model to play around with, so i think ill consider the modeling part of this one finished pretty much :o

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#38]
the head seams a little longish from the side perspective

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#39]
whats this a nude man? we need a jacket or boots unless your making a stripper game? textured clothes look wrong on such a smooth mesh like a wet suit.

Pete

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#40]
What are you talking about?

I think he is modeling for form not to actually use this quite yet. Wings models look like that in wings, all shiney and whatnot.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#41]
sorry i didnt mean to knock his model its just how often do you have to model nude men for games? its better to practice modeing people with clothes!

Pete

stayne(Posted 2006) [#42]
that's a far cry from constructive

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#43]
Wouldn't it be easeir to practice getting the form down and then worrying about detail, i dont know, have little or now experience in this, but thats just IMHO

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#44]
That's how I work here when I draw, get the underlying form down first, flesh it out, then worry about the details/clothing/accessories later, if you cant get that underlying form down, odds are everything else placed on top of it will look odd, more-so when you go to animate in 3d.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#45]
this is an amazing thread... I've always been interested in 3d modelling but time constraints stop me from 'playing'....

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#46]
all i was saying is that it would be better to model the form of someone in clothes so that you learn to deal with problem that you get when animating a model with more bulk. a nude model will be much easyer to deform because there are let hard edges and joins are finer than if it was wearing say a jacket. i agree that form is the most important thing to get spot on. it was just something that helped me when i was starting out.

Pete

maximo(Posted 2006) [#47]
Can you show us some of your work Pete ;)

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#48]
hehe i can see where this is going ;op ill look something out. most of my stuff is low poly less than 2500 and im not as good as you maximo your model above is class!