Dev Vid

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Dev Vid

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#1]
i know it looks like i'm spamming the board here... forgive me please, but i figured it'd be nice to show what those recent pics actually come from...

a recent dev vid of the sim in Blitz3d

surface running near island at dusk, ending with dive (7mb)

--Mike

puki(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hey, who is the blonde in the video? - she is quite tasty.

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
Blimey, there's a lot of seamen.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#4]
The sub's movement looks excellent!

Matty(Posted 2006) [#5]
That looks great, I like the particle effects they are well done.

Ash_UK(Posted 2006) [#6]
Holy Cow! Excellent work Mike! Very well done indeed, keep up the good work man. You're doing a splendid job there ;-)

Ash

Hujiklo(Posted 2006) [#7]
Looks great! I'm glad you kept at it Mike. I think you'll do well out of it in the end. Water looks good too.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#8]
thx a lot guys... i'm tryin'

still got a ways to go (after all this time)...

here's two more...

just submerged leveling off (3mb)

getting under way and deplying the dive planes (6mb)

these are still roughs...dev stuff, not in game shots...

--Mike

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#9]

The sub's movement looks excellent!

Totally agree - the movement looks fluid and natural - more simulation than game.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#10]
The sea in both the 1st and 3rd vid has noticeable tiling and the 'spray' looks a bit too much like smoke. Water spray has rougher edges.
You probably know all this as you stated they are Dev vids.
However, the 2nd (underwater) video is *very* good and *very* atmospheric.

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#11]
Wow, your doing great, that last clip was fantastic. love it!

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#12]
Yeah, looks nice and weighty does that sub. When can we drive it?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#13]
thx again guys... i just hope i can get it finished before they turn the electricity off :)

good eyes tony :) yeah, i'm workin' on those...

adding rain and trying some rough waves stuff, but it may be a bit too much... i may also leave out a lil sunglare thing i stole from somebody and modded :)

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#14]
very nice particles! And the sub texture is also progressing nicely.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#15]
Looks very nicely done... probably great to control, too :)

I have a few suggestions for graphics:

-Firstly, in your underwater scene, the light casting onto the boat looks pretty cool. I'm thinking that perhaps the ground should get some of that, too...
Does this effect fade away as the boat gets further underwater?

-Also underwater... do you think it's possible to add some haze around the ground down there? I notice this in lots of games where the underwater scene isn't important that ground under and above water looks very similar. I believe that putting some dense floating debris down there would help in your case. A combination of a grass system and a particle system would do the trick... would probably be a bit slow, though. (And of course, it's silly of me to bother you with that suggestion, since you have probably been thinking about it all along :P)

-Do you remember that demo with light rays being cast through a stained glass window?
It would look really cool here :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#16]
thx Mr. P for the comments, and for the ideas...

I'm thinking that perhaps the ground should get some of that, too...

you're right... starting to code it now...

Does this effect fade away as the boat gets further underwater?

yes, the effect fades at depth... and it gets darker as well...

-Do you remember that demo with light rays being cast through a stained glass window?

i've already just (a few minutes ago) 'stolen' one of jfk's effects... the underwater distortion effect... i think the stained glass beams was one his also... i think he'd require me to put him on payroll if i appropriated any more of his ideas and code :) but yeah, that would look cool...

the underwater distortion was straight forward and easy enough to implement into my lil OOP thingee... i modded it a lil to adjust the effect so that the distortion is not too extreme...

big thx jfk...

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#17]
Hey n/p, that was the reason why I posted the sources. BTW somebody released a distorion source a few days ago that isn't using Copyrect like myine, but a segmented towel in front of the camera. Not sure if it's faster since it requires an addtional renderworld (tho containing nothing but the towel mesh) after copyrect the current render to the pixelperfect texture of the towel. (At least I guess that's how it works, didn't really elaborate)

A word about distortion: For the sake of realism you should no use it the way I use it, for the entire screen when under water. Because in the real world the view under water is completely undistorted, only the things you see from below the watermark that are positioned over the water will be distorted. Sample: when you are under water and you see a helicopter that is a few meters over the water level, it will be distorted. But the shark that you can see right at your left side in not distorted.

It's the same when you watch things that are under water when you are over the water level. The reason why is the various "lense" depth, caused by waves and ripples on the water surface.

I was thinking about to implement this realistic effect. It surely isn't easy. Maybe it could be done with an additional renderworld: Imagine you'll render the scene when everything is hidden that is below the water level. then distort this, with the mentioned function. everything below the water level is now black/invisible. Then render the whole scene again. Then DrawImage the previously distorted render. The black parts will show the undistorted underwater stuff that was rendered with the second renderworld.

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#18]

I was thinking about to implement this realistic effect. It surely isn't easy. Maybe it could be done with an additional renderworld: Imagine you'll render the scene when everything is hidden that is below the water level. then distort this, with the mentioned function. everything below the water level is now black/invisible. Then render the whole scene again. Then DrawImage the previously distorted render. The black parts will show the undistorted underwater stuff that was rendered with the second renderworld.

It can definitely be done - it's how I did the water for that water thread yonks ago. It's very easy (not least because you can mask out the textures carried by water volumes with entitycolor).

Physt(Posted 2006) [#19]
Looks great. Where's the game?

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#20]
Mike,

You're well on your way now by the looks of it, well done, and nice job.

I'd no idea, before now, that subs could turn that sharp across and into a current. Since they are doing that, then I don't know, but might one expect there to be a differential effect as to how much volume of spray there might be generated for each side of the boat? I'd guess or imagine that the side facing the current might have greatest splash and foam, and the side away from it less perhaps. Like I say, I don't know, but I'd like to.

Might it heel over some in a sharp turn too? Not so sure about that as I can think of a number of reasons why boat designers and their customers would want to make it so that they do not.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#21]
Those underwater shots especially look great -- nice fade effect for dept, great caustics on the hull...

the one thing that does look out of place is the propellor, though... May be fraps dropping too many frames, but it doesn't move very smooth, and the color/texture make it stand out a lot.

you may want to consider 'faking' something by having it a bit more blurry -- in real life, it would be making so many RPM's that you wouldn't see the individual blades when its moving, after all.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#22]
Looks great!

add torpedos, add water mines and bombs, add destroyers and tankers and we have a game.. :)

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#23]
The sub simulation was interesting to view but I felt that it took 'too long' (I can be impatient with animations if they don't keep visual interest going).

I found the landscape extremely distracting as it seems that the attention to detail is focused on the sub. Hopefully, you can add some attention to detail on more natuaral looking landscape. The current texture map is what is distracting, and draws my eye to the lifeless surroundings. Some sand, trees, plants, or even some birds will go a long way for mood. Also I'd recommend more camera angles during the process if the simulation were to stay that long (this would help keep my interest more).

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#24]
but I felt that it took 'too long' (I can be impatient with animations if they don't keep visual interest going).

then a submarine sim is not for you... what do ya think they do 99% of the time they're on patrol...

I found the landscape extremely distracting as it seems that the attention to detail is focused on the sub

again... it's a sub simulation... and what you're looking at is also a work in progress... do ya think a sub base would exist without sub base buildings, and sub base people all around...

maybe you might think about trying the fps game room instead... sub sims, flight sims, aren't for the hair on fire crowd... they are a bit slower paced... 'TILL THE ACTION STARTS!!!!

:)

--Mike

Matty(Posted 2006) [#25]
Hi Red - in your sub sim how is the gameplay going to be arranged - with various missions that must be completed or more like an ongoing simulation like the old Dos game 'Hunt for Red October' which from memory took a long time to play to completion but was all one 'mission' if you can call it that.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#26]
what i've got so far is sub school, training missions, and then deployments... missions in which you get wider command authorities (progress from engineering officer, to diving officer, to exec and attack officer, eventually to captain...

...all the while, the Japanese are trying to kill you, and you them.

a cross between medal of honor and americas army...

--Mike

tsmpaul(Posted 2006) [#27]
Looking great! The water looks fantastic - and I really like the rippling light on the hull, in the underwater clip!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#28]
thx MM...

there's an even better underwater effect that's been added... hope to be able to get it to show up in the next vid or demo...

--Mike