Cheap Town Models for Sale

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Cheap Town Models for Sale

ckob(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://www.banishedstudios.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2

Some of the models are low quality compared to what some of the modelers can do here but if anyone wants VERY cheap models for place holders or to use in their games here you go.

N(Posted 2006) [#2]
Got any close up shots?

ckob(Posted 2006) [#3]
no I tried to get every model I could in each shot but I have been asked before to include closer shots so I think tomorrow I will be doing that for each pack.

OJay(Posted 2006) [#4]
looking good. fair price.

ckob(Posted 2006) [#5]
I figured I would just revive this post. I know I said I would make shots of all the models for each pack but i've been really busy. We just finished our newest pack and you can see it here.

http://www.banishedstudios.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=13

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#6]
i have seen a whole city town for a few hundred USD :O
so i can say that your one is cheaper :D
but i can also do with cartograpy shop...

ckob(Posted 2006) [#7]
yeah these models are honestly just ones for people who can't model and want media in their game.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#8]
ckob,

Looking at the contents of the media pack for less than £22.00 I can say this is a very good price for the stuff you are including.

I like the idea of providing different types too in the same pack.

IPete2.

ckob(Posted 2006) [#9]
thank you, what we are trying to do is provide models to the not so rich indie developers. I know myself that coders usually suck at modelling so its kind of nice to be able to buy a few towns to place in my game and not have to take out a loan to do so.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
persian town is lookin superb, but how about the interiors? Are there rooms etc. inside the houses, or are they meant only as empty hulls?

Are they single meshes with mutiple brushes/materials, or are the various things like doors etc. seperate obejcts?

I am not planning a persian level, but who knows, with this nice pack I'd even rewrite parts of the story.

ckob(Posted 2006) [#11]
No the Persian pack doesnt have an interior at all, we keep seeing request for buildings with interiors so we're making one now. The Texture is all one texture and each building is a single mesh.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#12]
I'd really love to see a lowpoly modular set like this, that can be used for fps games. with rooms, stairs and windows etc.

Furniture, doors, window glass etc. would then be added by me.

puki(Posted 2006) [#13]
Wait a minute - some of the building packs have disappeared - where are they? The better stuff has gone.

Have these been sold on to the RC people?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#14]
i'm no expert on this stuff... but i'm kinda getting the idea that if you're buying models for buildings and stuff like that... then you're doing 'it' the wrong way...

from past experience and compared what i'm doing now, buying town models and putting em in a scene and adding terrain and all that stuff separately is not the best way to go about making a game level... there's just too many things that you're gonna have to deal with when the game starts to come together...

for instance, the interaction with all the building models you just bought and the game environment... collisions, different lighting... plus some that i havem't even figured in yet...

Josh has the right idea for this sorta thing... integrating the engine you're planning on using with a good level editor will save you tons of coding time and problems in the long run.

trust me on this... i've spent mucho time spinning my wheels around the maypole...

--Mike

ckob(Posted 2006) [#15]
yes the modeler I was partnered with on those models sold the models exclusively to Solstar.

Some of the newer models I will be selling ( I am still working on this pack but there will be around 10 buildings and 30-40 misc props and objects.)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#16]
Red thanks a lot. It really depends. In my case, where I use a pretty fullfledged (indy) engine, prefab models work well, as long as they follow some basic common rules.

An engine is rather unflexible if it cannot handle models that are made using other tools than the one sold by the engine manufactor.

If the models make some problems, then you still may load them in a modeller that is capable of the format (eg B3D) and edit things like entity names, texture paths etc. This will still save you most of the time it takes to create good looking stuff. Here it takes me several days to model a good looking level map (without additional interactive items).
So when you can get it for a few $, maybe you can make more money in the same time.

It is of course not the same when you try to use ANY model, like some highpoly, badly modelled building mesh found for free somewhere in the web, that was never made for ingame use.

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#17]
Im not all hip with the programming talk yet, so whats it mean when something is refered to as "indie"?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#18]
i meant independent artist. Usually very small "companies" without financial backbone and market connection.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#19]
:o)

like i said... i'm no expert on this kinda stuff... seriously...

it's just that i'm recently beginning to see the light on how well a good integrated level editor/engine combo can be when it comes to saving the developer mucho time, as well as taking advantage of the various aspects that the engine is optimized for, resulting in faster execution, better looking scenery overall, and not having to code in so many things (collisions for example)...

now, i've seen some great level loading code (the first one was by Rob Cummings in his Cube Demo), where external geometry was parsed and set up based on the entity names and such... so i may be a lil too overenthuisiastic in my newfound zeal over this integrated level stuff....

... but believe me... the stuff that i'm working with now really makes it apparent how valuable the utility of a good editor that is purpose built to the engine can be.

it still allows external geometry to be included for detailed and custom elements... but being able to consturct an entire level, buildings, terrain, portals, particles effects, and other stuff in one centralized, optimized for the engine location, sure does streamline the art path... not to mention, the benefits of it designing the level in an way that is optimized for the engine that will run it.

ahhhhhh... just another point of view... i'm sure that one could get the specs for the popular engines and languages, and optimize versions of the models for particular targets...

btw... those are some nice looking models...

--Mike

ckob(Posted 2006) [#20]
well here's a complete render of most of the models, im still planning on making 4-5 more buildings.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#21]
I know I always whinging on about historical accuracy, but your artist should really get out and take look at proper meieval buildings - he's completely missing the wooden 45 degree 'stress' cross-pieces that buldings of this size would have across each face. So to me these look quite a bit of a joke.

ckob(Posted 2006) [#22]
I modeled them and who said anything about historical accuracy their for medieval games which is pretend, fantasy I never intended for them to be historical accurate.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#23]
Ah, but there is nothing pretend or fantasy-like about the medieval era. As I'm sure you know, it was a very real period of history. Don't confuse medieval with fantasy, the two are quite different.

Anyway, I think the point that John is making is not only that the architectural style is somewhat inaccurate but also that the actual construction of your houses is physically impossible - they'd collapse without the load-bearing stress beams.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#24]
You don't know maybe there's onyl plaster on the 45° bars. I guess not all houses of that time used this method. However, the relative modern windows don't fit with the roof. And the texture scaling of one roof is much too high. Some of the reddish wood materials should also be desaturated IMHO.

puki(Posted 2006) [#25]
Looking good, "ckob" - too low poly/res for me. However, these models will suite a more arcadey/rts type RPG - they will go nicely with :

http://polycountproductions.com/fantasygamepackage/

Your stuff and their stuff would not look out of place with each other.

So, I suggest the 2 of you team up when your pack is ready and advertise each others pack - your buildings + their characters = sorted.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#26]
Do the buildings have interiors?

puki(Posted 2006) [#27]
From the alpha-scan I did of the picture he posted above, there are no interiors.