3D World Studio level design

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/3D World Studio level design

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#1]
Level design by LDDreams:

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#2]
Finally, someone puts a palette under their crates!

*(Posted 2006) [#3]
or are they flattened crates put there to out fox ya ROFL ;)

Nice shot tho, if I had the dosh I would definately buy it. ATM With a 9 month old and boy on the way coding isnt my top priority :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
how's the light volume done?

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#5]
Same way as HL2; It's just a sprite that fades as you get closer, then the corona at the top takes over.

OJay(Posted 2006) [#6]
hm looks good, but nothing special. see: one could do that within any other modeling / lightmapping tool without any problems...

maybe you should try to make a level, that shows the specific advantages of YOUR tool?

no offense, just a suggestion!

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#7]
Show me another program that will create a scene like this and export to .b3d.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#8]
3D Studio Max?

Anyway, its not really the tool. Its more todo with the artist. I much prefer the other demos of your level builder on your site.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#9]
It looks cock.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#10]
Show me another program that will create a scene like this and export to .b3d.

gimme the geometry and the textures for one of those shots above... i'd like to give that a try...

those two middle shots... i promise i'll keep your property rights intact, and not misuse or distribute any of the stuff...

actually, i think i might be able to improve on the scene a bit...

btw, both of the new shots look really decent...

--Mike

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#11]
3D Studio Max?

Correction: another tool in the same price range.

Personally I haven't bought 3DWS because it's not really designed for the sort of level design I need (I am much better served by modeling my levels in Maya and then using gile[s] to lightmap them,) but if I were doing levels for something like a standard fps I would get his tool in a heartbeat.

That all said, I agree that these screenies are pretty bad. The only remotely interesting part of any of those pics is the water tank in the bottom corner of the last one. You have some much better stuff in your site's gallery; why post some boring warehouse?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#12]
I don't like the reddish wall texture. The tiling is so obvious. Other than that nothing's wrong with the design when you consider there ain't no FX in yet (eg flare).

Chad(Posted 2006) [#13]
So if we purchase this tool, then building levels and mapping will be like that??

I've been doing all my mapping and everything in Milkshape, and I'd really love a better program!

Chad(Posted 2006) [#14]
I also am an ex-purchaser of Cartography Shop! I see we get a discount!

So it's a lot like Cartography Shop with new models and high res textures and stuff??

Is it for indoors AND outdoors?

Thanks,
Chad

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#15]
Chad, 3D World Studio is very much like Cartography Shop. I improved the model placement a lot, added terrain support, and optimized the program quite a bit. If you get the CD version, it also comes with a lot of extra textures and models to use with the program.

If you are a Cartography Shop user, you can get a discount when ordering.

Chad(Posted 2006) [#16]
Thanks for the quick reply, sounds great. Give me a week or so and I'll buy it :)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#17]
looks promising. its going to be a shooter, right?

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#18]
Looks nice! Needs more details though. This looks like something from the late 90's.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#19]
@Chad, the basic version doesn't come with more than a few textures and a couple of objects to use, you are expected to develop your own or better still, buy the CD version which contains lots of extra things.

Boom boom is absolutely right, the artist is what counts, not so much the software.

But 3DW Studio is a great, enabling tool, which if you haven't the money for Max or Maya (and you want to develop commercial artwork i.e. for your games) but you have some talent, you can do very well, very quickly.

The speed of development in 3DWS is fast, lighting is very fast and very nice, and much better for exporting with lightmaps to B3D than say 3DS Max. But there aren't the high end tools you get in Max i.e. modifiers of all kinds, but there is enough. Josh posted some other shots a while back which looked like they were straight out of Half Life 2, they really were fabulous. Check out the "Level Design Dreams" website for more extraordinary examples of 3DWS in action.

www.lddreams.com

Or have a look at some of these screenies:

http://www.leadwerks.com/index.php?page=gallery.htm

IPete2.

Zmatrix(Posted 2006) [#20]
I just flew around in the level in worldstudio. Its quite nice.
theres quite a bit of detail in there. eg telegraph poles,grass, palletes!..lol ;)

get a mav in blitz when i try to load the exported b3d though.

Sam

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#21]
and much better for exporting with lightmaps to B3D than say 3DS Max.

In what way is it better than exporting with Lightmaps from 3dsMax? I don't see any limitations on exporting with lightmaps from 3dsMax so I'm curious what 3DWS could have up it's sleeve.

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#22]
I think it looks really good!

If I had to make a crit it would be the obvious repeating of the rusty metal bridge texture.

What's up with everyone here? Just because it's Halo everyone slags it off. It's a damn good screenshot, if anyone else posted it they'd be pats on the back all round.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#23]
3ds max doesn't do the alpha-blended tiling terrain, and it doesn't export lightmaps, any way that I know of.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#24]
3ds max doesn't do the alpha-blended tiling terrain, and it doesn't export lightmaps, any way that I know of.

It does both of those just fine, but no problem, IPete2 just made me curious.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#25]
Show me.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#26]
Er.. I was only inquiring what it did better than 3dsMax. I'm not going to derail your thread by posting screenshots of something I've exported from 3dsMax. That'd just be rude.

If you're particularly bothered about seeing a lightmapped scene exported from 3dsMax, email me, and I'll knock up something very quick and basic, but I'm not going to spend the time it would take to create some tiled, alpha-blended terrain just to prove a point I'm not trying to prove.

Like I said, I was just interested, as a prospective customer, what it had over 3dsMax, and if I came over differently, I'm sorry, but that was not the intention.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#27]
Good stuff.

I think the poeple that complain are just mad that 3DWS is badass. :)

puki(Posted 2006) [#28]
I think there is no denying that the pictures show this can produce very good stuff. The textures are very realistic. I like the sky texture too.

I don't think there is much scope to make it look more realistic.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#29]
I don't think there is much scope to make it look more realistic.

:)

would you like to bet a few sausages on that one puk?

irregardless, josh's demos and scenery creations have always been top shelf (i think the scenes you are looking at are the works of the contract crew over at that dreams factory place... whatever... but they do show what 3DWS is capable of)...

i may wind up licensing it myself soon...

--Mike

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#30]
If you're particularly bothered about seeing a lightmapped scene exported from 3dsMax, email me, and I'll knock up something very quick and basic, but I'm not going to spend the time it would take to create some tiled, alpha-blended terrain just to prove a point I'm not trying to prove.

You didn't mind bringing that point up here, before I asked you to demonstrate that it was even possible.

puki(Posted 2006) [#31]
I'd like to see some fantasy RPG stuff made with it.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#32]
You didn't mind bringing that point up here, before I asked you to demonstrate that it was even possible.

I didn't bring up any points. IPete brought up a point, I asked for more information, and you provided it. How could I possibly have known when I asked for more info that the features your program has that 3dsMax doesn't are features that 3dsMax actually does have?

I don't see the big deal. 3dsMax costs massively more than your program, and most people don't have it, so they won't care.

Chad(Posted 2006) [#33]
One last question, so it does lighting also and I do not need to purchase Giles to make a light mapped map??

IKG(Posted 2006) [#34]
@ Chad: Yes. It does lighting too.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#35]
Gabriel - come on, you made a claim, now back it up with hard evidence (you must have some, else you wouldn't claim it, right?).

BTW, I play better guitar than Steve Howe - I just can't be bothered to back up that claim.

Chevron(Posted 2006) [#36]
I think that the first picture shows just how capable this tool is and in the right hands capable of producing quality designs for a small ish price.

Could you knock up knock up a quick demo showing the first warehouse in b3d?

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#37]
WTF? 3dsmax has great lightmapping tools

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#38]
3ds max does nice renders, but I have not seen it export a lightmapped .b3d file. Prove me wrong.

Svenart(Posted 2006) [#39]
looks good to me. Models, textures and lighting are well done. But maybe you could try to make the lighting more realistic. You can fake globalillumination with a few spotlights with softshadows easy. Also the grass could need some touchups, but thats only my opinion. Good Job.

Svenart(Posted 2006) [#40]
one question... are you using bumpmapping for the walls and the ground (It looks like but I´m not sure)?

Doggie(Posted 2006) [#41]
I play better guitar than Eddie Van Halen and I can back that up except I promised him I wouldn't.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#42]
those pics looks impressive...i'm getting interested in that :)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#43]
Looks good. I've seen a guy i worked with produce lightmapped results from lightwave and 3dmax. But, i think the real advantage here is cost. Great value here :o)

[I]pnose(Posted 2006) [#44]
3ds max does nice renders, but I have not seen it export a lightmapped .b3d file. Prove me wrong.

All my .B3D are created, lightmapped and exported with 3dsmax/B3Dpipeline.

http://ipnose.free.fr/dap_fiche.htm
Simple baking of the lightmap (rendering/render to texture)

ps: pics looks great :)

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#45]
Cool.

SopiSoft(Posted 2006) [#46]
Nice shots!

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#47]
Looks on par with Battlefield 1942. Nice job Halo.