Background Graphics Concept

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Background Graphics Concept

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
Ok, well Grey Alien set me thinking about whether or not I could turn Glimmer Gridlock into something worth selling. ( Dude, I hope you're not expecting a percentage for giving me the thought :P )

My first thought was that it would take too long, and I wouldn't be able to spare the time, but I put this together yesterday and I'm pretty pleased with it. It will have some cars as game pieces, but this is essentially the game board and GUI, as a concept. I'm quite pleased with it considering how quickly I was able to put it together.

Comments and crits welcome. I haven't made a decision about going on with it or not. If it needs a complete overhaul, then I probably won't bother but if it looks like I'm on the right track, I might.

Curtastic(Posted 2006) [#2]
that looks really good. What's the game?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks!

It's a sliding block puzzle game, as shown here : http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=59258

It's a fairly simple game, but most people are finding it reasonably pleasant so it might be worth polishing up with some nicer graphics and a few little extras.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#4]
Very nice - good solid design. But I can't make-out what the black bits are on the pavement and the road tiling is too obvious.

I haven't tried the game yet so I'll give your early demo a go now - or I would if the download was still available. :-|

btw How did you create the level - 3d Studio and Giles?

puki(Posted 2006) [#5]
Looks good to me.

degac(Posted 2006) [#6]
very nice graphics! You could add a layer on the top of the blocks/cars to simulate foliage shadows...
very good

Chevron(Posted 2006) [#7]
Excellent work, but i do have to agree that the tarmac texture is not fully seamless, but still very good background.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Excellent work, but i do have to agree that the tarmac texture is not fully seamless

the road tiling is too obvious.

Yes, I originally intended to do it with tiles, so it is just a small tile. I later decided to redo it as a fullscreen rendered background, and couldn't find anything to replace the tile with. If I can find something to replace it with, I will re-render and use that. ( Takes bloody ages to render though, heh, I think it's those huge high-detail trees. )

But I can't make-out what the black bits are on the pavement

They're plants, but the radiosity lighting makes them very much darker. I'd take them out, but I think they help to break the monotony of a plain, clean pavement.

I haven't tried the game yet so I'll give your early demo a go now - or I would if the download was still available. :-|

Yeah I took it down so that people are still interested when I have a new version. Hopefully won't be too long until I have a playable version of the new one.

btw How did you create the level - 3d Studio and Giles?

Pure 3dsMax. It's a flat ( layered ) 2d render so there was no real need to use Gile[s].

You could add a layer on the top of the blocks/cars to simulate foliage shadows...

Well there are two layers at the moment, so the cars can go under the trees. I'm not sure if I could make a third shadow layer look convincing, as it won't bend to fit the shape of the cars, but I'll have a look and see what it's like.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#9]
Better hope that Valve won't have your rear end on this (it looks too much like Half-Life, I'm not even kidding). Better make sure that Gabe Newell knows about this before proceeding.

On top of that, Half-Life was one of the first FPS games that featured box/crate pushing. So, you better make sure that Valve won't sue you for this.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#10]
LMFAO

I wonder what planet you're living on sometimes, Bob.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#11]
Oh god, noooo! And when he finds out I'm using the nickname Gabriel, he'll probably sue me for stealing his name too. I better start an NSA-7-Pass format on my hard drive and hope to god it gets done in time! )

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#12]
AND...you used those scorch marks from rocket launcher impacts - oh thats right they're plants...you stick to that story. ;-)

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#13]
i like it but you should add cracks in the sidewalk. The sidewalk loks to new to have plant life in the middle of it.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#14]
LMFAO

I wonder what planet you're living on sometimes, Bob.

Oh, maybe Plasmatic Organization (a.k.a. Plasmorg). :)

Yeah, here we go again...

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#15]
Looks very good. I wish I had 1/10 of your artistic talent.