Another Texture Critique Shot

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Another Texture Critique Shot

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#1]

it's the rusted out, top half of a sub... does it look any better than my last enameled attempt...

honest opinions invited :)

--Mike

stayne(Posted 2006) [#2]
it's a bit hard to see from that far back :)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looks a bit brightly coloured and there's an odd strip which seems to reflective and bumped. The main rust colour is pretty good though.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#4]
well... here's why i didn't get too close up mark :)

yep tony, i agree... a lil overbright... the base texture is mod2X... probably a mistake doing that... right...

--Mike

GfK(Posted 2006) [#5]
Rusty submarines? Isn't that slightly dangerous?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#6]
extremely so... but what the heck... this one was sunk over 50 years ago :)

i'm just trying to learn how to do a lil texture effects beyond the basic stuff...

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#7]
rust is always sexy in games. Tho here you have put too much rust on one spot, and also too dominant (color etc.)

there should be traces of rust near seams. The following screenie has some rust on the side walls. This is what I'm talking about. Tho this is no metal.
http://www.melog.ch/dropper/v60/screens/screenie15.jpg?

Basicly I have to say: the texture is still way to lowres! you need to find a solution for that. the hull should be zoomable without to display boss-sized texels.

Also: the texture has some kind of JPG loss ambiance, was there JPG compression somewhere? If so I'd suggest to work with no compression at least until it's finished. Otherwise you are risking progressive degeneration by compression artefacts.

My suggestion is: use a big texture and UV-map the sub in a way that makes best use of the texture. side parts may use tiling, the tower etc. some untiled parts.

2nd: Add an additional texture layer to the sub, containing noting but a fine grainy, well tiling texture that will give the impression of high surface details when close up.

Don't use the emboss fx, instead you may use shadow blend fx for some stuff on layers in photoshop or gimp.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#8]
yes, the texture res is definitely too low... always been one of my biggest problems to overcome...

will try all your suggestions... BIG THANKS JFK...

--Mike

Garion(Posted 2006) [#9]
Hellooo Stella Swivvlebut (Art Critic) says:

Yer rust looks a bit too linear, make more splotchy and drippy :)

Stella has now left the building :)

Cheers

Garion
Sorry just took my meds :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#10]
ok... i've spent the last two days playing around with PSP, armed with the helpful critiques and advice i've gotten, and a few online tuts on how to use the thing...

so here's what the subs look like now in the game environment...

a lil bit better... rust toned down substantially... primary base color changed to something a bit darker (errors are a lil less obvious, plus i was having a real pain getting the grey stuff to look metallic)... no bumpmap effects,not as of yet anyways... but you know me... i've gotta give it a try eventually :)

thx again for all the help...

--Mike

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#11]
Looks fine. A little TOO rusted. But those last shots look great.

Being that I figure you are using photoshop. Just add a new layer of rust over the clean one and set it to maybe "Soft Light" or "Hard Light" on layer type. Then tone down the slider possibly to get the desired ammount.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#12]
The land and sky are kinda ugly, but the sub itself looks good, and the underwater shot is really cool.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#13]
thx jH,

i'll be working on the land and sky in a bit... i don't know exactly what i'm gonna do to make em look better, but there's a few things i'm gonna try out...

right now finishing up the sub skins and some coding for the wakes, prop wash, and bubbles...

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#14]
Looks great!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#15]
thx jfk... i'm tryin'...

:)

--Mike